Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
I am going to discord quite a bit with previous opinions here.

No-one mentioned that there is a law in Turkey (in their penal code I believe?) that makes it illegal to admit the Armenian genocide. The successive Turkish regimes have a revisionist attitude toward it and are heavily providing desinformation on the subject.

That is IMHO a good reason for this proposed resoution: Helping scholars tell the truth about this and make pressure on Turkey not to jail people just because they have an opinion!
If they want to remain an ally of the US they will. I am thinking that they need this alliance as much as the US if not more.
{Guys remember we don't always get involved where there is oil or out of self interest. Sometimes it feels good to do something just because it is the right thing to do."}

Anyway the dems in Congress are trying to find as many ways as possible to end this war as early as possible and this could be just another piece of it and might be the real reason for the resolution.

Here is a link indicating that the problem with section 306 of Turkish pernal code dates at least from 2004 Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (NJ06) - Pallone Urges State Department to Condemn New Turkish Code
Is it really the job of the United States Government to pass judgement (up or down) on all the laws passed by all the governments around the world?

Maybe a better place for what you are getting at is the United Nations.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Is it really the job of the United States Government to pass judgement (up or down) on all the laws passed by all the governments around the world?

Maybe a better place for what you are getting at is the United Nations.
I agree with you - the UN is a better place.

As for is this our job or our calling to pass judgement or should we just take care of our business...
Well I am not sure I am ready to kick yet another debate on this subject tonight.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Perinova,
You did something that few others have done (I've done it) - that is say you agree with someone else.
Thanks - it adds to the friendly atmosphere on this board.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #24

I think that this was a reflection of the pull that the Armenians have within California. After all, Ronald Reagan was very supportive of their cause and he was not really that close to Pelosi on the political spectrum.

Republican Armenian remember Reagan's support
Old 10-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

The armeinan bill is nuts

According to news reports this morning it appears that at least 6 Dems are going to change their votes and vote against this bill. It is about time that they put the interest of the nation ahead of their own.

NewGuy888 where are you at? What has happen to your posts on political issues?

I hope that you have not allowed the constant criticisms by some on this forum to curb your freedom of speech.

NewGuy888 exercise your right of free speech and if they do not like what you have to say then they have the choice to ignore it or not read it.

GOD BLESS
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

One note piano?

Why are we so concerned with Turds and Kurks, anyway?

Oh, nevermind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
According to news reports this morning it appears that at least 6 Dems are going to change their votes and vote against this bill. It is about time that they put the interest of the nation ahead of their own.
When will the Republicans do the same?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
It is about time that they put the interest of the nation ahead of their own.
Wags
I am not so sure that the interest of the nation is to vote "No" here. Of course that is a very complicated issue and both positions can be argued in faith.

Please tell me why voting "Yes" to this resolution would be putting their own interest first? I don't see it. In I am pretty sure it isn't since most Americans probably don't care about this issue they have no political gain in doing so.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
Please tell me why voting "Yes" to this resolution would be putting their own interest first? I don't see it. In I am pretty sure it isn't since most Americans probably don't care about this issue they have no political gain in doing so.
Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in: You already identified the interests of the Democratic leadership in your earlier post. This all about the war, and influencing same. When Bill Clinton was President, he opposed a nearly identical denunciationof Turkey for the same reason President Bush opposes it now: The adverse impact on Turkish/US relations.

The mystery to me is why the Democrats are rolling up their tent on this one. It is possible that some Democrats in closely contested districts realize the war will not be the express lane to electoral victory in 2008 they'd hoped for. There is progress on the ground in Iraq, US troops are soon to be drawing down incrementally, Al Qaeda in Iraq is on the ropes. The more moderate Democrats may believe it is time to get on board so they won't be depicted as the defeatists who tried to quit the fight.

Or, maybe not.

There's no doubt that the Ottoman Empire killed a very large number of Armenians.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #30

The Armeinan Bill is Nuts

In the Christian Science Monitor (edition for 18 Oct 27) there is an article titled "How Genocide Vote Lost Steam". How 'genocide' vote lost steam | csmonitor.com

It appears that the pack of mangy varmints (Dems & Reps) are reconsidering their positions and votes on this issue.

The article is a good read.

GOD BLESS
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like they're off to the races.

Turkish Military, PKK Clash Near Iraq Border; 35 Dead

Oct. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Turkey's army and Kurdish militants clashed near the border with Iraq today in fighting that killed 35 people, as Turkey considered an attack on the group's bases in Iraq's Kurdish-controlled north.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Old 10-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I'm half Armenian

So why exactly is our Congress wasting time debating whether to officially recognize the Armenian genocide as genocide? Isn't it 100 years too late?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar View Post
Hey, I'm half Armenian

So why exactly is our Congress wasting time debating whether to officially recognize the Armenian genocide as genocide? Isn't it 100 years too late?
Glad to see a half Armenian weigh in. I agree, seems about as useful as a resolution condemning Native American genocide or slavery, which would be a more appropriate topic for the US Congress. It's well known that both Armenians and Kurds got the short end of the stick after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. The question for today is, how can we best foster peace and prevent a re-occurrence.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #34

Will someone explain what well nuts is?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Will someone explain what well nuts is?
They are found at the opposite end of the shaft from the well head.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #36

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I always thought it was a condition you got from spending too much time in cold well water...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote