Time for new wheels...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My college senior daughter's jalopy is old and has 115k miles on it. Oh it is still reliable but I just don't trust it for the 4 hour drive to campus or the upcoming internship in another state. Her brother the high school senior (this fall) could easily use the jalopy to get to work (2 miles) or go to school (2 miles) so I was thinking of giving my shiny red (30k miles) RAV4 to her. I am happy to give her the car She has worked her butt off and it has paid off.

Secretly I thought this would be a great opportunity to buy me something cool. You know -zoom zoom but there's a problem I am well past the zoom zoom stage. No Harley, vett, or stang I'd just look like a fool. Then I was thinking truck but, my god trucks are pricey. $45k for an f150? Really?

The truth is there isn't car/truck that stirs my blood- hey they don't make those old man land yacht Cadillacs anymore do they? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

You are right... trucks are outrageously priced.... but you can get a new truck for much less than $45k depending on what you want and need. What I have found is that the trucks (and cars) that are on the lot generally have trim levels that are more expensive than I want/need and options and accessories that I don't necessarily want to pay their exorbitant prices for so I prefer to order a vehicle equipped the way I want it.

I just bought a 2016 GMC Canyon SLE crew cab with 4WD, tow package and spray in bedliner for about $34k before trade, taxes, title and registration.

I traded in my 2005 Colorado with 122k miles that has been a great vehicle for us. I like the versatility of a truck. It's about as cool as it gets for us old guys. I prefer the midsize trucks because they get better mileage, are easier to handle in close quarters and a full-size truck would probably barely fit in my garage.

A RWD extended cab would be about $29k according to TrueCar but for an extra $5k the added versatility of a crew cab and 4WD is worth it to us and I'll get some of that back when I trade or sell.

If I didn't need a truck and wanted a cool but practical car, I've always liked the styling of the Audi A4.... or if you can go less practical the new Audi TT is attractive as well.

Last edited:
The only reason I'm not driving a sports car anymore is because of my back issues - difficulty clutching, and more importantly difficulty getting out of the damned seat. You're not too old for a sports car, if that's your inclination. Go for it (I'm jealous).

The only reason I'm not driving a sports car anymore is because of my back issues - difficulty clutching, and more importantly difficulty getting out of the damned seat. You're not too old for a sports car, if that's your inclination. Go for it (I'm jealous).

:):):):):)

+1, I got to the point I just couldn't easily (comfortably) get in and out of my "low sitting" daily driver sports car anymore but I didn't want to give up the performance. I did a lot of research and finally settled in on a high performance mid size SUV for my "adrenaline fix". (yes, they can get expensive but I really don't care). Don't worry about the clutch, you can get an eight speed auto with paddle shifters. I could go on and on but this isn't a "car site".

Last edited:
No point to a fancy sports car in Bay Area traffic. Heck, there's not a road in California that's not choked with traffic now, so why bother with a fast car that corners well?

I drive a 2013 Corolla LE around town that I bought new on a dealer special for $14,995 in December 2012. It's as comfortable as the early Accords and similar in size. The trunk is spacious and the car has a lot of features for the price. Should have that car for several more years.

The extremely comfortable Lexus SUV is reserved for road trips or carrying stuff. I expect that one to last 10 years in my garage.

No place today for that red 1964 Corvette that was so appealing to the 10 year old back then...

That is part of the reason that we traded in my "sports" car (Subaru Legacy GT) for a SUV (Subaru Outback). It was fine for me but DW complained about getting in and out of it because it was so low.

I very much sympathize with you. I'm faced with the same issue and feelings. Recently been researching a small-mid pickup with extended cab, 4wd as live in Great Lakes snow country, mulling over getting a manual as all my "fun" vehicles had manual box. Would rather not go with a crew cab as most shorten the bed to the point of useless for my purposes ( want 6ft. minimum so it holds my bike easily or I can sleep in the bed.)

Why not just get another Rav4 or similar?

....Would rather not go with a crew cab as most shorten the bed to the point of useless for my purposes ( want 6ft. minimum so it holds my bike easily or I can sleep in the bed.) ...

Just FYI, the mid-size GM pickups (Canyon or Colorado) crew cab with the long-box is 6'2" long. My current ride has the 5'2" short box which is fine for me but easily fits 4 bikes.

....Why not just get another Rav4 or similar?

Because he wants something cool and IMO the Rav4 is a fine small/medium sized SUV, but not particularly cool.

Last edited:
Dunno, it is a very personal choice. I'm quite interested in getting safety features on my next vehicle like collision avoidance / automatic braking, lane departure and blind spot monitoring as I'll probably drive my next car into my doddering years. :wiseone:

I did the same thing....gave my RV4 with 30,000 miles to good son and bought myself a "green" plug-in hybrid hatchback. Loving it, makes me feel good getting over 100 miles per gallon. Easy in, easy out and drives much better than expected. DH also want a mid-size truck next time all for the same reasons as the OP. (FORD C-MAX Energi)

I feel Mazda and Subaru are putting out the best stuff right now. They really have balanced style, functionality, cost, mileage, and reliability. If you want AWD, go Subaru. Otherwise, Mazda will likely get you what you want for a few bucks less.

if you don't care for their styling, I'd suggest a car by Hyundai (I'm not familiar with their SUVs).

And I'm basing this on today's gas prices, if you think that's going to double in a couple years, a Toyota or Lexus hybrid makes a more attractive decision.

Get the F150. Super Crew. 4WD. You will love it. I have a 2009. It's great. The back seats fold up and there is no transmission hump in the floor. The backseat is big enough to put a bicycle or 2 in. The 5.5' bed is 8' with the tailgate down. Not bad gas mileage - around 18 mpg average with the 5.4L V8. It is a little difficult to navigate through big city traffic.

Just FYI, the mid-size GM pickups (Canyon or Colorado) crew cab with the long-box is 6'2" long. My current ride has the 5'2" short box which is fine for me but easily fits 4 bikes.

Because he wants something cool and IMO the Rav4 is a fine small/medium sized SUV, but not particularly cool.

Really? To me it's decently cool! After 20 years of minivans, Boy Scouts, travel soccer, sure beats a sedan or luxury SUV (don't look for cushy in cool, but I may be just different, most F150s or similar are land yachts, I don't see any coolness there).
I'll need to take a look at the GM pickups, I know I briefly looked but very limited offerings with manual box. May not find what I dream of. Most fun I ever had was with a small minimalist pickup (no PS, no air, manual), dream if the fun would come back, and I was middle aged at that time!

Last edited:
I think that red RAV4 will be a dream come true for your daughter! What a wonderful gift.
The truth is there isn't car/truck that stirs my blood- hey they don't make those old man land yacht Cadillacs anymore do they? Any thoughts?
Some Cadillacs are smaller and have a lot of zip these days IIRC. Most guys over 50 seem to want a Miata although to me that's a big yawn.

Keep looking for a car/truck that stirs your blood, but if you don't find one then why not just get something practical instead? I'm thinking another RAV4 or Camry.

ray, us old guys :) need to stick with tradition, so I bought a Buick.

2016 Regal Mid-Size Luxury Sedan

It's a little low to the ground, not so good if you or DW have issues getting in or out. But it handles really nicely and the 259HP turbo isn't shabby at all!

Even my teenage grandkids think the car is cool... :LOL:

Last edited:
The reason I bought the rav was I could slide in easily... New knee and one half bad. The rav is an awesome car comfortable, zippy and rock solid. The jalopy is my old CRV a great reliable car too. Last month the alternator went when she was up at school $800 yikes but what's $800 compared to a new car. My dream is to move south before the daughter marries and we have the whole grandkids battle...

A two seater in Florida sounds pretty nice .. Only consideration is will a fishing rod and tackle bag fit? Oh yes the old lady on occasion.😊

Her dad was a Buick guy - god I loved that roadmaster.

Last edited:
We have an Explorer for toting the grand kids (7 passenger), the f150 for toting "stuff" and the Miata for topdown fun.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

When you mentioned zoom-zoom, it seems like you had some pent-up desire to get a sports car, and $45,000 is too much for you. Well, you only live once .. so Get the Subaru BRZ for zoom zoom. It cost $25,000 and looks pretty nice

To get zoom and get into it easily there are several upscale sedans with 300+ hp for $30-something.

I think a lot of cars these days are really zippy, even ones that don't have that reputation or look zippy, because of technological improvements in the past 50 years.

For example I got the V-6 engine in my 2009 Toyota Venza.... big mistake! Even though it is a big SUV, it is WAY too zippy for me. I have never pushed the accelerator down more than half way even when getting on the interstate (and I like to come up to speed completely before merging).

If I floored it, I swear it would put me into lower earth orbit.

You can get a sport sedan that has plenty of zip...

I had a 2004 Acura TL with 6 speed.... very quick acceleration and has summer sport tires so it handled really well... top speed was 155 mph...

It was quicker and faster than my 87 Firebird Formula with a 5.7 liter engine... I think it topped out at 140 ish.... I think the Acura was also quicker in the 1/4 mile....

And it was a luxury car when I was not thrashing it around, which BTW is close to 99% of the time (that is not thrashing)....

My college senior daughter's jalopy is old and has 115k miles on it. Oh it is still reliable but I just don't trust it for the 4 hour drive to campus or the upcoming internship in another state. Her brother the high school senior (this fall) could easily use the jalopy to get to work (2 miles) or go to school (2 miles) so I was thinking of giving my shiny red (30k miles) RAV4 to her. I am happy to give her the car She has worked her butt off and it has paid off.

Secretly I thought this would be a great opportunity to buy me something cool. You know -zoom zoom but there's a problem I am well past the zoom zoom stage. No Harley, vett, or stang I'd just look like a fool. Then I was thinking truck but, my god trucks are pricey. $45k for an f150? Really?

Whatever you buy, I would seriously look into certified preowned. A few years ago I got an 18 months old Acura TL with 7k miles on it for 25% below msrp. About 2 months ago we got DW a 15 month old Lincoln MKT with 9500 miles on it for 30% off MSRP. In both cases I plowed a bit of the savings back into extended bumper-to-bumper warranties. One was for 7 years, the other for 8 years.

Let someone else take that early depreciation in the teeth.

How about a Chrysler 300?

Back
Top Bottom