Tip Jars Everywhere

As some of you know, I am crippled. I had to go to the agency annual hoop-la (conference) last week. I went to the airport where I am assigned a wheelchair and someone who pushes me to the aircraft. I appreciate this help and always tip well. Well, it seems that, at BWI, this has become a family affair/ripoff. The wheelchair man insisted that I check my bags outside. So I get wheeled to the outside and find that the outside bag check cost $2. I get out $2 and the man walks to my bags and says "that doesn't include the tip". I was surprised and just sat there taking it in. Seeing me not acting, he repeated in a louder voice, "that doesn't include the tip." I got my wallet out and retrieved another dollar. The wheel man does not know it but he decided to share his own tip with the outside man when he chose to check my bags outside instead of inside where it was free. I did not tip him as much as he deserved since I felt that he had already given it to his friend.

I agree that I would rather pay more and not tip also. Why should someone either get a tip or not get a tip, depending on the customer's mood. Why not pay them a standard wage per hour and charge what is needed in order to pay them that wage?

Interesting article on tipping from CNNMoney that makes this very point.

Advanced Tipology - Oct. 8, 2001

See also the wikipedia entry:

Tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I think that industries whose employees rely on tips for a substantial amount of their earnings are simply shifting their out-of-pocket costs to consumers. That said, in a purely theoretical way it is the most efficient way to ensure quality service. Unfortunately, we live in the real world, and tipping is not always accurate.

I think tipping is a barbarous relic which doesn't belong in a society that strives to be classless.

Big Ritchie, do you think a tip-free full-service restaurant would fly in the US? Maybe even start a trend?

[quo I mean...reallly...mayo on corned beef and mustard on top of tuna salad?

Fer cryin' out loud. Its just WRONG.[/quote]

What I think is wrong is Ketchup on hot Dogs !

I mean...reallly...mayo on corned beef and mustard on top of tuna salad?

Fer cryin' out loud. Its just WRONG.

You know what's really good, though? Shoyu and wasabi on steak.
Try it some time.

Last edited:
Hey, I can see soy sauce and wasabi on steak. Especially a cut that needs a little punching [-]out[/-] up in the flavor department.

Oh, you'd love the people in chicago that put lettuce and tomato on them. :p

I once went into an restaurant owned by an old guy originally from Greece who absolutely refused to tolerate rude customers. He would kick people out of his restaurant if they were too loud on their cell phones, their kids were too loud, or if they were rude to his wait staff. Needless to say, he had quite the reputation in the city (which I was visiting), but his restaurant was always full.

I asked the friend of mine who I was visiting whether the owner had ever been sued, and was surprised to learn that he had been sued several times, but each and every time the case was dropped (without a settlement). The reason was that several well-known lawyers patronized his restaurant and volunteered to represent the owner for free if he was ever sued. They made it extremely unpleasant for each and every plaintiff. Eventually, word got around that he was no pushover, and the lawsuits stopped.

Bring back the Soup Nazi. Maybe people will learn some manners.

My small change allocation goes like this: all quarters are for the laundry; other change stays with me for tip jars; any amounts too heavy to carry eventually go to one of those machines that turns coins into bills and extorts 8-1/2 percent out of the deal.

There’s a guy at the "Starbuck’s equivalent" who does everything he can to prevent me from going to the real "Starbuck’s" which is only about 100 feet away. He gets an extra buck straight to the fist every once in a while as well as the usual tip jar money.

Last edited:
I once went into an restaurant owned by an old guy originally from Greece who absolutely refused to tolerate rude customers. He would kick people out of his restaurant if they were too loud on their cell phones, their kids were too loud, or if they were rude to his wait staff. Needless to say, he had quite the reputation in the city (which I was visiting), but his restaurant was always full.

I asked the friend of mine who I was visiting whether the owner had ever been sued, and was surprised to learn that he had been sued several times, but each and every time the case was dropped (without a settlement). The reason was that several well-known lawyers patronized his restaurant and volunteered to represent the owner for free if he was ever sued. They made it extremely unpleasant for each and every plaintiff. Eventually, word got around that he was no pushover, and the lawsuits stopped.

Bring back the Soup Nazi. Maybe people will learn some manners.

I am the exact same way as that guy. Never been sued though. Not like they can sue you for anything where I live, here you go to jail for acting like a idiot, because it turns into tresspassing. Pretty much the law here is if you tell them to leave and they do not, you can use any means to get them outa your store and protect yourselves and customers.

I tossed out a rude 19 year old kid just this week, and he invited me outside, and of course I obliged, and followed him out with a baseball bat, sadly he didn't want to play anymore. :bat: It is all fun and games till the crazy marine veteran gets pissed hehe.

I think being a soup nazi has helped my business really, most customers think I am a riot. And I will bend over backwards to nice people with common sense, it is just the idiots that drive me nuts.

You know one reason too I am such a soup nazi, is that I know what I am doing, and know how my food taste the best. I want people to have their best expierance, and your average Joe just wants to come in and order stupid stuff.

I LOVED that Anthony Bordane (sp?) show on the travel channel with the Pacific Northwest, where the Seattle Pizza guy throws people out if they order more then 3 items on the pizza and ruin the flavor. guy is so busy he only stays open 2 1/2 hours per day.

I am grateful for having a good income and generally try to give some back with the tip jars. I will at least put the coins from my change in them. Whwn I pick up a pizza I usually tip the girls at the counter $2, but they are cute and I go to the same local place every time.

I used to work for minimum wage and I feel sorry for those who still do.

I suppose some would say better to have a fidelity charitable gift fund like nords. I do that too and give an annual amount to the local food share. I suppose I am cheap compred to my income on this.

I also hate carrying coins.

Me too! Mustard...relish...maybe some chopped onions, yup. But ketchup?? No way!

And sauerkraut. Lots of nice hot, sour sauerkrat. The stuff out of the can, not the froo-froo stuff from a jar or "packet".

And while you're at it, skip that hotdog crap for a kielbasa or a nice bratwurst.

I guess bourdain would HATE actual Italian pizza.. I have seen more than one menu offering pizza with canned corn and mayonnaise, BTW.

Santu Rocco (Pomod, mozzar, wurstel, patatine, maionese)
Il Mamapica

That is: tomato sauce, mozzarella, hot dog, french fries and mayonnaise... on the pizza. :p

The "capricciosa" is a classic, with tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, olives, artichokes and mushrooms.. often served with a sunny-side up egg in the middle! or even slices of hard-boiled egg.. "Capricciosa" means "capricious" so there are variations...

HPIM0385.JPG

118.jpg

If the toppings are in 4 quadrants without egg, it becomes the "quattro stagioni"

Back
Top Bottom