Tis the season. Worst Christmas song?

bclover

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So the Christmas season has officially begun and unfortunately around here that means some radio stations are 24/7 Christmas carols. plus you go into the stores and its more carols. :facepalm:

While some are classics there are those that make you want to run screaming from the building.... case in point.

The red shoes, lol oh yeah nothing says "good cheer" than a song about a dying mom.

What's your all time song you love to hate

Since I change the station when the red shoes song comes on, I don't count it. Other than that I'll go with "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" as the worst audio format song. The David Bowie/Bing Crosby "Little Drummer Boy" cover is the worst from a video POV. Bing looks so totally like "what the hell am I doing here, and who is this pasty looking British kid?"

Two radio stations here started playing Christmas music last Sunday. They have been deleted from the car radio menu. Bah, humbug!

Last Sunday? We have radio stations playing 24/7 xmas songs since Halloween!

As far as bad xmas songs, maybe not because it's bad so much as overplayed: The Little Drummer Boy.

Santa Baby and Rockin Around the Christmas Tree. I like Christmas music, but never liked these two. A local radio stations starts playing Christmas music around this time of year, and I swear they play these two every hour. Now I absolutely hate those 2 songs. I gave up on that station.

"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" is really subversive. It's clear that Grandpa, fed up with the caregiver's role, must have hidden Grandma's medication, so she would forget where she was and "stagger out the door into the snow" and get killed. There's a whole verse about how happy Grandpa is without Grandma, and then there's the refrain "But as for me and Grandpa, we believe." I'm surprised it gets played on the radio!

I only hear Xmas music in the grocery store. No radio or broadcast TV or cable. Ad-free streaming only.

Feliz Navidad. It's a mindless little song, and once you hear it......you're stuck with it.

Just reading the title here will have it bouncing around inside you head for the rest of the day.

There......it's all yours now..

Working on a local Christmas Gig and I am going to play Fairytale of NY . See what the backwoods people think !

Lots of really bad Xmas songs. On the flip side my favourite one is "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home" by Darlene Love. It's on the Phil Spector Chrismas Album, also my favourite.

The "Little Drummer" boy is on my list of worst Christmas songs.

And the worst is the 12 Days of Christmas. I just do not like songs that repeat lines over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Most Christmas songs suck. I made the mistake a few years ago of agreeing to fill in for a work "band" that would perform Christmas songs in the lobby while management handed out chocolates and oranges to the staff. I had to learn to play 20 Christmas songs on guitar to accompany 6 people who couldn't sing on key...Feliz Navidad, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, etc... :nonono:

harley;1804621.......... said:
Other than that I'll go with "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" as the worst audio format song. The David Bowie/Bing Crosby "Little Drummer Boy" cover is the worst from a video POV. Bing looks so totally like "what the hell am I doing here, and who is this pasty looking British kid?"

A long time ago I read that Bing Crosby was not happy doing the song with David Bowie, so refused to look at or acknowledge him during the performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Little Drummer" boy is on my list of worst Christmas songs.

And the worst is the 12 Days of Christmas. I just do not like songs that repeat lines over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
If you want a good laugh Google " 12 daze of CHristmas ". It's by a Vegas lounge singer. Very funny

"Christmas Song" by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

On the upside, I really enjoy Nick Lowe's Christmas album, "Quality Street." One selection, "Christmas at the Airport" about a snowed-in holiday traveler, has received some radio airplay.

Wow, most of my least favorites have already been mentioned. As much as I like Jimmy Buffett, I'd add most of his Christmas Island album selections to the list...

Fortunately there are lots of great Christmas songs!

Feliz Navidad was the first song to come to mind. Jingle Bell Rock is another. We Wish You a Merry Christmas is a third.

Being born Jewish but now an atheist who has never had any real interest in Christmas, I abhor the entire holiday season.

Feliz Navidad was the first song to come to mind. Jingle Bell Rock is another. We Wish You a Merry Christmas is a third.

Being born Jewish but now an atheist who has never had any real interest in Christmas, I abhor the entire holiday season.

No disrespect intended, but given your views/beliefs, why would you even respond to this thread?

Back
Top Bottom