Told my boss "no"

nuisance

Recycles dryer sheets
Now that I'm FI, I'm just consulting a part time, which is sometimes interesting and sometimes annoying but essential to make progress. Earlier today my manager asked me to work on something that's related to my job, but definitely falls into the annoying category. I decided to draw the line and told him I'm not doing it. I don't think I've ever done that before. Feels good. :) (Part of me hopes they'll decide I'm not worth dealing with so I can wash my hands off the project altogether, even though most of me still would like to see the project to completion.)

Way to draw the line. I thought about doing this, but I was afraid they would just say OK negating my rationale for ER.

So, what was the reaction?

Nice!

A few months after I retired, I was asked by my company to come back and help out. I agreed to consult with them for two eight-hours days per week.

When asked several times if I would work more, I simply said "No". After a few attempts they stopped asking. It felt great. I enjoyed working two days on my terms knowing that I could walk away whenever I felt like it.

Financial Independence does that for you.

I said no a few times in my last 18 months:

Laughed, and turned down expanding my role and my staff (double) with a convincing argument that it wasn't a good fit for me, suggesting someone else better.

Deflected another project that was clearly being dumped on my boss, giving him ammo to similarly reject it (one of those "high visibility" grunt things that is a no-win type thing)

Deflected an audit, etc.

Was liberating, but in each case I was really just telling the complete truth with the appropriate corporate-culture sugar coating, and without the fear that usually traps people into saying yes.

I think it matters how you say no....

I remember when they asked me to go work in London for 6 months... they had tried to get me to move to NYC but I always said no to that so they were expecting me to say no to London... I said 'sure'... they were real happy that I did so... worked out great for me... but, if I had said no nothing bad would have happened (well, at that time, but my job back home was eliminated while I was gone, so there is that)....

Back
Top Bottom