Tool Drool

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A few days ago, idly perusing the Home Depot web site (yes, a bad idea I know) I stumbled across the Milwaukee tool line of battery powered tools, such as drills, impact wrenches, cordless saws, etc.

I'm not sure if it's because everyone is now using impact drivers or impact wrenches on all fasteners these days or it's because my 69th birthday is fast approaching, but I have noticed that nuts, bolts, and screws all seem to be more difficult to remove than they used to be. Understand that I have not followed tool technology closely; the last time I spent any appreciable amount on tools was ~25 years ago.

So when I stumbled across the fact that they now have functional battery-powered impact wrenches, and I saw a bunch of reviews on them on youtube my reaction was "Hey, I gotta get me some of those!" And I think of all the times in the past on various projects that those would have been of immense help. Especially impact tools. The last time I used one of those was at the gas station job in high school for changing tires. They were pneumatic only and horribly expensive so homeowners (at least where I lived) never gave a thought to buying one.

So for the aforementioned birthday I'm getting a small set, and probably there will be a few more along the way as the year progresses and the [-]need[/-] desire arises. Yes, I know I'm succumbing to the marketeers, but it's akin to being approached by the Borg: "Resistance is futile."

Off the top of my head the only member here I can think of who has a legitimate need for lots of stuff like this is Hermit, since he's engaged in that ultimate DIY project, building his own house. But it sure is gonna be fun playing with the new [-]toys[/-] tools.

Of course lots of other places sell this stuff, like Amazon, Northern Tool, and probably hundreds of others.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk..._STH_BOSS_3302956-_-product_image__WA46629431

Attachments

• Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 57
I like my DeWalt 18V tools very much. I've had some of them for a dozen years, and they have made my life much better.
And I recently added a couple of Ryobi 40V battery tools that are amazing. One is a leaf blower and the other is a chainsaw. Both use the same battery and work very well.

I have a garage and shed full of tools. I have two air compressors, one for my big impact wrench (4 HP, 220 V) and a small one for woodworking tools. I'm still restoring old cars @ 75 and I have seen the need for good electric hand tools like impact wrenches and nut drivers.

I have a 3/8" drive 12V Lithium battery powered ratchet tool and I love it. Very quick, lots of torque and gets into tight places.

Yes, going battery is the thing anymore.:cool:

milwaukee-specialty-power-tools-2558-20-64_1000.jpg

Home Depot frequently runs deals on combo packs of cordless tools, some pretty good deals. I currently have a collection of about six different Ryobi 18V tools and happy with them.

Look for a line of tools that you like and that use the same battery. It’s nice to have one charging center and any tool will accept any battery. I chose the Ryobi line, but I’m sure there are a lot of good brands. Unfortunately, I real leaf blower will need a 40v battery but the work I get out of my 18v tools, including a leaf blower and a string trimmer is impressive and plenty for most of the work I do around the house.

Best time of year to get good deals is around Father’s Day.

I have a 3/8" drive 12V Lithium battery powered ratchet tool and I love it. Very quick, lots of torque and gets into tight places.

Yep, that 3/8" inch ratchet is high up on my list.:D

I've had a set of 18v DeWalt tools for 15 years. They just keep on running so can't see upgrading to newer stuff. The nicad batteries are old technology now though. I'm on my second or third set and they are starting to die again. I recently bought an adapter that allows me to use the newer Li-ion 20 volt batteries. And if the old tools die I'll upgrade to some new 20v ones and I'll have some extra batteries!

Those Milwaukee impact wrenches are pretty nice, 1000 ft/lbs of torque! My son is a mechanic and I think that's all he uses at work. I don't think he even uses pneumatic tools much now.

Last edited:
Milwaukee makes great tools. I have a big impact wrench kit (strong enough to remove lugs nuts off a semi-truck) in my car for emergencies in case I need to change a tire. Came in handy about a year ago and a pot hole took gave me a flat but the Milwaukee took off those lug nuts like a knife through butter :).

Milwaukee makes great tools. I have a big impact wrench kit (strong enough to remove lugs nuts off a semi-truck) in my car for emergencies in case I need to change a tire.<snip>

It has occurred to me to buy two more of them and keep one in each vehicle for exactly that reason.

We bought my 85 year old mother a few of the Ryobi tools last year when she moved. I think they are great "prosumer" level tools. Ryobi in particular seems to have put a lot of thought into their lineup.

For myself, I bought a drill/driver set a while ago with lithium ion 20V Max batteries. Things last forever and they have a lot of torque. Like wrist breaking torque.

They came from a chain up here we have called Canadian Tire. They were their own brand and incredibly cheap on clearance sale (C$109 = U$80)
A while later I was walking through Lowes and saw them sitting on a table. Only, instead of being blue plastic they were yellow/black plastic and DeWalt had put their stickers on them. Otherwise, identical in EVERY way. I won't make you laugh with the DeWalt price.

If you want to have some fun, check out this chart of tool brands. Who owns what and how many sub-brands and "trade names" they sell under. Boggling.

https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/#whoowns

I like the Ridgid brand, available at Home Depot, and at our local Tangier outlet mall at Direct Tool. Love the performance and reliability and power.

I have some older Dewalt 18v nicad tools: drill, circular saw, sawzall, that still work great but I agree the nicad batteries are terrible. I also have newer Dewalt 20v lithium tools: drill, 1/4" & 1/2" impact drivers. But rather than keep buying nicads I bought this adapter and my nicad tools can use the same lithium batteries. Simplifies things. I bought the 1/2" impact since having the hernia problems and generally not having the strength I used to have. Haven't had to use it yet but it's there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V7QPTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed batteries for my Ryobi drill and ended up buying a new set that included a drill, impact driver and two lithium batteries with charger. I LOVE that impact driver, especially for driving drywall type screws in wood. It is also good for regular bolts - surprisingly powerful.

I almost bought an impact driver for the #14 x 4" Phillips wood screws I was using. I ended up just using lubrication, holes larger than the shaft of the screw (in Douglas fir), and applying a lot of pressure with a powerful drill. I would have used a ratchet if they weren't Phillips head. Home Depot didn't have other head types of that size.

I purchased a Makita impact driver for a dining room table I was building for my DD. It is now my new best friend! Don't know how I have survived to this point without it. I use it for everything.

I bought a 1/2 inch Harbor Freight impact gun. Just got tired of breaking my back trying to remove tires for brake work. Not planning on getting a ton of use out of it but so far so good.

I used one with my last house - a two story with a walk out basement. It makes cleaning out the gutters a lot less scary. I used to wonder how long I'd hang there until someone found me, though, if I fell.

Keep your cell phone in your pocket when up there. :)

If you are going to drool, Do it in German for indoor tools.
https://www.festoolusa.com

In Swedish for outdoor tools.
https://www.stihlusa.com

I'm not familiar with Festtool, but I have a Stihl chainsaw I bought in 1980 or so and it still runs fine, and a more recent Stihl gas hedge trimmer. Both are clearly high quality.

And the Milwaukee tools arrived a day sooner than promised!:dance:

So now I have to find something that needs holes drilled in it and nuts/bolts that need to be turned with an impact wrench.:D

Despite seeing them on youtube videos, both are smaller than I had expected. That's a good thing.

I have been adding tools from the 20v DeWalt line. I've always hated jigsaws, but theirs actually works without jittering. The electric floor staple gun is pretty cool too. Amazing stuff

Back
Top Bottom