U2
INXS
The Tragically Hip
Midnight Oil
The Pogues
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins
Green Day

..and having seen them just last night at probably one of the best concerts of my life, a band that Rolling Stone magazine said had the best album for the 2000 decade, our very own Arcade Fire...

Interesting list. I really like INXS, so I am going to have look at your other picks a little more in detail :)

These are some of my favorites:

Beatles
Led Zepplin
Eagles
Steely Dan
Rolling Stones
Doobie Brothers - Like Midpack said before Michael McDonald
Chicago - before the death of Terry Kath
Tom Petty
Allman Brothers

Rolling Stones
Beatles
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Allman Bros.
Clapton - almost every band he was in
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix Experience

Really can't come up with last two

Allow me to help: the Doors and CCR.

BTW, Clapton is amazing. I am on my 3rd copy of Derek and the Dominoes (LP, then 8 track, then CD -30th Anniversary ed.)

For me, it would have to be Yes, if only for longevity and variety, but also for vision and execution (except for their nonsense lyrics). Genesis broke up and went non-prog pretty quickly. KC never appealed to me that much. ELP - while I liked them - wasn't in the same league.

(Surprised no one has mentioned Jethro Tull).

Yes to Genesis. I went to Chicago to see them in the early 70's, not realizing that Peter Gabriel had walked away a few months earlier. Very disappointing. Strawbs and Fleetwood Mac (before Stevie Nicks) were two more I enjoyed during the same time frame. Christine McVie (of FM) could really sing!

Zep
Rush
VanHalen
Aerosmith
U2
Stones
Pearl Jam
Coldplay
Genesis
DefLeppard

Zep
Rush
VanHalen
Aerosmith
U2
Stones
Pearl Jam
Coldplay
Genesis
DefLeppard

Quality list :) I see a little heavy metal flavor there. I am no expert on DefLeppard, so just asking how they outrank Metallica and Guns and Roses. I am just a casual fan of all three. Thanks

No one's mentioned Steely Dan - among my all-time favorites. Great music and lyrics. Even if they did name themselves after a scary sex "toy."

I like them a lot too. Maybe they are in the next level. Maybe they don't come to mind as Rock Band.

Tough to keep it to 10, but here goes:

• Beatles
  • Stones
  • The Who
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Dire Straits
  • Steely Dan
  • Eagles
  • U2
  • Doors
  • Talking Heads

No one's mentioned Steely Dan - among my all-time favorites. Great music and lyrics. Even if they did name themselves after a scary sex "toy."
Two people have. Other than "Rikki", I really disliked their stuff.

Does seeing them live have a large influence on you, or at least their rep as a live band? It means very little to me, since 99% of the music I listen to is recorded.
Not for me. In fact, of my 10, I've only seen 2 of them perform live.

In fact, I tried to look at my list as the "Top 10" and not my top 10 favorites.

For example, I added the Stones even though I am not much of a Stones fan. However, regardless of how much I like them or not, there's no denying that they are one of the top rock bands ever. In fact, if the list was "Top 3", you'd be hard pressed not to include them.

Yes I think seeing them live would have an impact but I think the list for 'Top 10 Live Rock Band Performances' is a different list and who would be in a position to make the call.
Yes, that would be a significantly different list for me too.

I would put Springsteen at #1 with a bullet. I had him on my short list for the Top 10 Rock Bands, but he didn't make the final cut.

However, I saw him 2 or 3 times back in the 80s and no performance I have been to before or since comes close to the show he put on.

Edit: Another example I just thought of. While I would not include George Thorogood in the Top10 bands, he too put on an amazing show. I was camping with some buddies in Wisconsin and we stopped at Milwaukee's SummerFest on the way back.

The headliner was Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes. The opening act was a no name (at the time) band, George Thorogood and the Destroyers. They were electrifying and the crowd went nuts for them. Like most opening acts, they only played 4 or 5 songs. But, the crowd kept cheering for more.

Southside Johnny came on and, even though they were the main act, the crowd started booing. To his credit, Southside Johnny could see the writing on the wall and it was not long before he brought George Thorogood and his band back on stage for an impromptu jam session.

That was a great show.

On the other hand, I can think of great rock bands who did not perform well live. I debated including one of my favorite bands The Clash in the top 10 list. But, I saw them live 3 times. One time they were good; one time they were just 'OK'; and one time they were so bad that I walked out.

Last edited:
Clapton - almost every band he was in
Ha! I had thought the same thing! Clapton was one of my first thoughts, but I think of him primarily as a solo artist.

Then, I thought I could say 'Clapton and any of the bands he was ever part of'.

Kind of like: What's the best basketball team in history? Answer: 'Michael Jordan and 4 other people'. :D

My quick top 10....

Beatles
Stones
Eagles
U2
Doobie Brothers(with McDonald)
AC/DC
Steely Dan
Van Halen
Pink Floyd
Chicago

It's not surprising to find disagreements...I have always felt a little leery of admitting that I never really liked the Stones, except "Sympathy for the Devil" which I think is brilliant.

Two people have. Other than "Rikki", I really disliked their stuff.

Not for me. In fact, of my 10, I've only seen 2 of them perform live.

In fact, I tried to look at my list as the "Top 10" and not my top 10 favorites.

For example, I added the Stones even though I am not much of a Stones fan. However, regardless of how much I like them or not, there's no denying that they are one of the top rock bands ever. In fact, if the list was "Top 3", you'd be hard pressed not to include them.
Oh, if we were supposed to name who we think were the top 10 of all time, as opposed to our favorites, my list would be different for sure. Stones would clearly be in. Personally, I really like some of their stuff, and really dislike some of it too, too much to include them in my personal list.

I always preferred to take the stairs, so I never became a Beatles aficionado.

A few nobody has mentioned: The Yardbirds (with lead guitarists Clapton, Beck and Page); The Allman Brothers; The Velvet Underground; and proto-punk band The Stooges.

My rock favorites, in no particular order:

Yes
Beatles
Who
Chicago
Doors
Police
Deep Purple
U2
Aerosmith
Neil Young (including Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, & Crazy Horse years)

Then there are groups considered "R&B" by the masses, but who have had a great influence on, and collaboration with many rock bands:
- Sly & the Family Stone
- Parliament-Funkadelic
- Earth, Wind & Fire
- War
- Stevie Wonder
-Santana

It's not surprising to find disagreements...I have always felt a little leery of admitting that I never really liked the Stones, except "Sympathy for the Devil" which I think is brilliant.

Being a Canadian of a certain age who heartily dislikes the music of Rush is no picnic either... ;)

(caveat: the members of the band seem like genuinely pretty good guys. I just don't like the music or Geddy Lees vocals).

Beatles
Stones
U2
Eagles
Chicago
Doors
CCR
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead
Springsteen

Beatles
Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
U2
Moody Blues
Doobie Brothers
Eagles
Journey
Chicago
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Last edited:
Oh, I always liked Rush. Not crazy about Geddy's vocals, but I like the melodies and guitar-playing a lot. But I can see how a Canadian might have to be discreet about not liking them, back in their day :LOL:

Being a Canadian of a certain age who heartily dislikes the music of Rush is no picnic either... ;)

(caveat: the members of the band seem like genuinely pretty good guys. I just don't like the music or Geddy Lees vocals).

(Surprised no one has mentioned Jethro Tull).

Agree. Tull was a bit of a niche band, but I really liked them in college and beyond. I always thought Ian Anderson was brilliant.

Here's mine, although VERY difficult to whittle down:

• Beatles
  • Stones
  • Allman Brothers - just had to have some southern boogie in there.
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Clapton & his bands
  • Steely Dan
  • Eagles
  • U2
  • Doors
  • Grateful Dead

Back
Top Bottom