Top 10 skills

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We all have lots of skills, for instance I know how to juggle 4balls at once and unicycle without falling.

I also have some quite valuable skills I've learned. Value is in the eye of the beholder of course. Skills could be seen with a broad brush, for instance faith might not be a perceived skill, but if mastered, practiced and preached I would say it is.

my top 10 might be, listed in order of importance:

1. Computer Coding - *gave me a career
2. Charisma - allowed me longevity in said career ;)
3. Finance *taught me to save
4. Investing *taught me to grow
5. Taxes - taught me how to get along with my favorite uncle
6. Real estate investing - flipped and rentals taught me about humanity
7. Saxophone - challenged my right brain
8. Auto repair - taught me patience and saved me $$
9. Alpine skiing - taught me how to enjoy life, stay healthy and personally challenge myself mentally and physically
10... Love - taught me more than I knew possible...good and bad

Okay, who am I kidding, love is #1! Love yourself first and life will be good #lg :dance:

BTW just noticed this is my 500th post. Neat. Have fun! ER has taught me so much, forever grateful

ps. I would list failure as one of these top 10 skills, but that's to be assumed... I always seem to break the computer, drop the wrong nut at the worst time in the worst position and don't even mention screwing up in the love department. Knowing I learn lessons the hard way has kept me from trying to peer into my crystal ball and do something hasty like sell low and buy high.

Just saw this is my 500th post. Neat.

Last edited:
There's a thread like this some years ago. It was fun.

I'll throw out:

Discipline
Economy
Delaying Gratification
and Photoshop

Being still - not reacting to the squeak squeak squeak in the back of the car but knowing that the car is meant to get you from here to there - all else is of little import.

Being like water in a river. When presented with a boulder just flow around it - no need to smash yourself against it.

Luckily I'm with a woman who is my direct opposite in those approaches. Together we lead a comfortable life and obstacles don't stand a chance - they just are not. or naught.

Not sure I have 10 skills that are worthy of listing. Unless "10" is really just a test to see if we understand binary :D e.g. 1's and 0's. If so, I can count in binary, octal, decimal and hexadecimal. Is that a skill? It certainly helped me with computers and related fields in the early days.

Okay, the things that I always seem to do well, are pretty much anything to do with electrical or mechanical "things". Those skills helped me "immensely" in my career (IT) and my main hobby (cars) and allowed me to retire early in pretty good financial shape.

I have no skills in the tax department. I throw myself on the mercy of Turbotax each year and do as I'm told.

So I'll substitute public speaking.

Also, I don't ski often enough to become skilled at it. So I will suggest Goal Setting, which my Tae Kwon Do instructor calls "The master skill of life".

When I was in Germany, I was base champion in Foosball. But that was years ago. :cool:

Now, no skills that I could take to the bank, so to say.

I only have a couple:

1. I can probably build an entire house from scratch except for the foundation, needing help only to lift the heavy things.
2. I'm a decent amateur musician...I once learned 20 songs (classic rock) in one day to sub for a friend's band.

"I can eat 50 eggs."

Speaking and writing.
Patience.
Loyalty.
Integrity.
Sense of humor - more of a sense of the absurd, really.
Perfectionism. A double-edged sword, that one.
Creativity.
Ability to delay gratification. Although with age, this grows less practical.
Intuitiveness.

"I can eat 50 eggs."

I doubt it. :)

And even if you did, that's nothing compared to Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas. In 2003, she ate 65 hard-boiled eggs in 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

She's a Korean-American who stands 5'-5" high and weighs 105#. She routinely beats guys twice as big in eating contests.

Among her achievements was 183 Buffalo chicken wings in 12 minutes (2011). Also in 2011, Thomas became the first champion of Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest for Women. Eating 40 hot dogs (with buns) in 10 minutes, Thomas earned the inaugural pink Pepto Bismol Belt and won $10,000.

Yeah, eat your heart out!

250px-Sonya_Thomas.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt it. :)

And even if you did, that's nothing compared to Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas. In 2003, she ate 65 hard-boiled eggs in 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

She's a Korean-American who stands 5'-5" high and weighs 105#. She routinely beats guys twice as big in eating contests.

Among her achievements was 183 Buffalo chicken wings in 12 minutes (2011). Also in 2011, Thomas became the first champion of Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest for Women. Eating 40 hot dogs (with buns) in 10 minutes, Thomas earned the inaugural pink Pepto Bismol Belt and won $10,000.

Yeah, eat your heart out!

250px-Sonya_Thomas.jpg

I guess you didn't see the movie?

Now you are claiming to be Newman? :)

You have posted your photo, and that's no Cool Luke. Cool Luke did not get to retirement at all, let alone ER. Who wants to be him?

I don't think I have 10 skills :). But in my IT career, it seemed the 2 skills that kept me gainfully employed and promoted were:

1. Being able to listen to others and demonstrate that I heard them.
2. Explaining and writing technical information in a manner that non-technical people, or those with lesser technical skills, could understand.

I guess, even though I was a Math and Computer Science major in college, those English and History papers, and listening and asking questions to better understand what was being taught as I was very afraid of flunking out, paid off for me. :)

Many posters listed personal traits as skills, but they are not the same.

Here's something that I do not know if it's a personality trait or a skill, and I may not be that good at it, but I am still working on it over the years.

It's playing devil's advocate, or stirring up trouble. Some may call it critical thinking. I do not want to just accept things as they are taught, or just to believe. Some people, even teachers, thought I was giving them a hard time. :)

Looking back, I realized that I would do a lot better if I was asking more questions about business deals that I got involved with, or purchases that I made.

At work, there were formal ratings on "Interpersonal Skills." :D

Some of the "traits" I listed in my post, appeared on my ratings!

I think my signature traits have been far more significant to life's progress, than any operative skills picked up along the way. Sure I have certain highly-specialized work skills, but they're not the main reason I was able to staff and run a 50-person division, or respond to simultaneous crises in a watch center.

Many posters listed personal traits as skills, but they are not the same.

Last edited:
Only 1 that I can think of at the moment
- lasting as long as I have.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom