Getting my first Apple watch

An interesting new rumor out of Bloomberg says that next year's version of the Apple Watch will have a sort of blood pressure monitoring built in.

Supposedly, it won't give you actual numerical readings, but will be able to tell if your BP is trending up or down and let you know so you can check it more specifically.

They are also working on blood glucose monitoring, although that is most likely several years away (if ever).

I bought mine (Series 6 or 7) 2 years ago. It's been a fitness game changer for me. I've become addicted to finishing the rings for exercise, calories and standing each day. I've gone 441 days in a row closing my rings. Now it has become an obsession to complete them everyday no matter what.

Battery live is good for use during the day, but as others have said, you have to charge it every night, so I'm not able to use any of the sleep tracking stuff.

I may move up to an Ultra when this one starts to fail.

I do use it for reading short texts and stuff, but tend to turn off notifications in general.
I charge my Series 6 watch while I’m getting ready for bed including shower. Then put it on before bed. It lasts all night and day with charge left over when I charge it the next evening - usually 30%+. It uses very little energy overnight in sleep mode.

I’ve recorded the sleep statistics for years no problem.

Last edited:
An interesting new rumor out of Bloomberg says that next year's version of the Apple Watch will have a sort of blood pressure monitoring built in.

Supposedly, it won't give you actual numerical readings, but will be able to tell if your BP is trending up or down and let you know so you can check it more specifically.

They are also working on blood glucose monitoring, although that is most likely several years away (if ever).

I hope it’s true.

I read a bit about optical based BP monitors. They need to be calibrated with an initial BP reading and then they can monitor deviations from the baseline reading using the optical sensor. You redo the baseline reading every month or so.

The problem with an Apple Watch is, how do you get a baseline BP reading?

I’m curious to see how they handle this. I’ve had BP issues in the past and having regular monitoring would be awesome. If Apple announces this next year, I’ll be first in line for an upgrade.

I charge my Series 6 watch while I’m getting ready for bed including shower. Then put it on before bed. It lasts all night and day with charge left over when I charge it the next evening - usually 30%+. It uses very little energy overnight in sleep mode.

I’ve recorded the sleep statistics for years no problem.

That’s what I do too. It doesn’t take long to get a decent amount of charge.

I use my Apple Watch as an alarm clock. My SO appreciates that, since it only wakes me up in the morning.

My battery health is 82%. I disabled the always on display, which lets me get by with charging once a day.

I’m trying to get another year out of my watch.

To add some content to this blind link (which you're not supposed to do without a summary): a company called Massimo claims that Apple poached their employees and their patented process for measuring blood oxygen levels. Until they resolve it, Apple may be banned from importing watches with the blood oxygen monitor. I'm happy to have one; early on when COVID hot, blood oxygen was a key indicator of whether you needed to go to the hospital. Blood oxygen monitors became scare very quickly.

My series 8 takes about an hour to charge; I usually do that during the hour I take a bath and have dinner.

As an Apple shareholder, I thank you.:D

Thanks for adding the context athena53. I should have quoted before my "they want to ban the Apple Watch" humorous response.

I noticed with the series 5 and 8, I have to switch wrists to avoid skin irritation where the watch (not the bans) contacts the skin. Didn't have that issue with series 3. I've never worn it during sleep for same reason. And yes, I regularly clean the watch, bands and wrist.

I did get an Apple watch but realized that it really just mirrors my iPhone and I have that with me almost all the time. I traded it in for a FitBit Sense which looks just like an Apple Watch and accomplishes what I want the watch for: steps, heart rate, sleep tracking, alarm/timer, iPhone messages and phone call alert (I am a little hard of hearing) and the battery lasts 4-5 days at half the price. Not for everyone but works for me.

I was eyeing and considering a pricey Apple watch until my Humana Medicare plan offered me a Fitbit Versa for free. Does everything I wanted from the Apple watch I was looking at including my exercise and fitness monitors, GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, alarm, calendar, news and weather updates, text messages, alerts and reminders, finds my phone, stores and scans my credit card at the register, etc. I'll take free over pricey any day.

Last edited:
I just ordered a new Apple Watch, Series 9 (replacing a Series 6). I intended to upgrade sometime within the next several months, but this made me do it already.

DH casually mentioned this morning that Apple is halting sales of the Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 starting Dec 21 online, and after Dec 24 in store due to a patent dispute over their blood oxygen level feature.

Just FYI

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...use-us-apple-watch-sales-starting-december-21

I just ordered a new Apple Watch, Series 9 (replacing a Series 6). I intended to upgrade sometime within the next several months, but this made me do it already.

I imagine lots of people will do the same in the next couple of days.
I have a series 8, so it's too soon for me. I'm thinking of getting the next version of the big one, probably to be called Ultra 3, which may not be offered until 2025.

This series 6 is probably my longest Apple Watch ownership so far. I think I bought it in 2020.

Apparently this also affects the Series 6 and later, models Apple no longer sells. They gave me a decent trade-in quote on my Series 6.

I imagine lots of people will do the same in the next couple of days.
I have a series 8, so it's too soon for me. I'm thinking of getting the next version of the big one, probably to be called Ultra 3, which may not be offered until 2025.

I wonder if they just remove the pulse oximetry app from the watch, wouldn't that take care of it, at least temporarily?

It's still OK in other countries; only the US is involved in the patent dispute.

I inherited my wife’s Apple Watch when she upgraded to a watch that did heart rhythms.

I never wore a watch in the past, but I’m really attached to it now. Phone calls, text notifications, heartbeat, timers, control music, and more

Merry Christmas to all!

Does anybody remember the name of the engineer who reviews Apple Watches along with many other devices? He has a catchy title to his site, works alone, and seems to know what he is talking about. It was posted here at one time, but I can’t find message.

DW got me the new watch as a Christmas gift. Went to the Apple Store yesterday to give them my old watch as a trade in. Haven’t seen anything yet on the new one that I didn’t have on the old one. Maybe the phone call ring tone.

I figure it will play out soon enough. But I’m glad I have my series 9 already.

I got my Apple Watch series 9 on Christmas Day. A replacement for my series 4 from 2018.

The oxygen monitor is a nice addition but I requested a new one because the old one’s battery was regularly going into low battery mode by the evening. I have enjoyed my Apple Watch this past 5 years.

Just curious, does anyone here have the Ultra 2 version? I'm considering that for my next one.

I’ve had an Apple Watch since Series 1. I just recently purchased the Ultra 2 version and love it. It’s not for everyone because it’s big and heavy but I really like it. I have the cellular service activated because I like to be able to receive messages when I’m on the pickleball court but don’t want to have my phone in my pocket.

But lately it’s provided a more important benefit for me. I’ve been experiencing an increase in AFIB episodes lately. I went from one episode a year to now three in a month. My doctor has me taking blood thinners, but she only wants me to take them when I’m actually in AFIB. If I keep my watch on while sleeping it will actually wake me up and warn me that I’m experiencing AFIB. And I can use the ECG feature to monitor the results. It keeps detailed graphs in my health history that I can share with my doctor so that she can decide whether I’m at the point where I need to be on permanent blood thinners. But most important is it just tells me when I’m actively in AFIB so that I know to take my pill right away. It also monitors my heart rate and blood glucose levels which helps me to get an overall picture of what’s going on with my body.

How does in monitor your blood glucose levels? I haven’t seen that. Did you mean blood oxygen?

OK, thanks. Blood glucose is one of those holy grail things they have been working on forever.

Back
Top Bottom