Tor

ScooterGuy

Recycles dryer sheets
Mostly by random surfing, I came across this important site, regarding privacy of communications, MegaCorp snooping or Identity Theft. Here, in its own words, is what it is about. Take it or whatever.

---------------

Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis.

Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol.

Hundreds of thousands of people around the world use Tor for a wide variety of reasons: journalists and bloggers, human rights workers, law enforcement officers, soldiers, corporations, citizens of repressive regimes, and just ordinary citizens. See the Who Uses Tor? page for examples of typical Tor users. See the overview page for a more detailed explanation of what Tor does, and why this diversity of users is important.

-------------
As far as I can tell, it is free, depending on donations to survive.

The Retired Reprobate

I used Tor for a few years while I was still working, just on general principals. It's pretty cool, but it slows down your connection a bit, and is definitely not completely effective. I certainly wouldn't use it to do anything illegal from work, but it can be handy in keeping you out of trouble if you want to check personal email, IM, or something like that that isn't allowed in the office. Best bet, of course, is save all that for when you aren't at work. But it's fun to use it and see if your corporate security folks are on the ball. :angel: They should hunt you down and smack your wrist, but it doesn't happen very often.

Back
Top Bottom