Toyota Unintended Acceleration...Liability Litigation

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I've been advised by my attorney out of San Rafael, CA 94912 that I (and others in the eligible class) under claim #TMAUA1-28239211-4-CIL have been awarded the tidy sum of $29.33 as payment that represents my part of the remaining Settlement Fund due to court order.

My attorney failed to mentioned how much Gilardi & Co LLC walked away with.

Class action suits are a hoot.:dance:

A classic example, IMHO, of what is wrong with the legal system in this country.

These articles might be behind a paywall. So, I will toss in a few quotes.

A $21 Check Prompts Toyota Driver to Wonder Who Benefited from Class Action - Law Blog - WSJ

Mr. Sourbeer says he doesn’t begrudge the money awarded to the lawyers, but says his $20.91 check got him thinking about the ultimate winners and losers of the litigation. He writes:

I got angry because of the economic loss caused by this lawsuit in the years following the settlement. For me to get that $20.91 check is costing Toyota more than half a billion dollars in litigation, fees and the settlement awards.

How much will that cost me in the future? Will it add $200 to the price of my next car? Or $500? Or $1,000? Maybe that’s too much of an add-on in this case. But is it too much when we start totaling the lawsuits that hit all the products we buy every year? Why do we have so much litigation, and why are courts (and the juries of our peers), awarding so much money in situations when lawyers have produced so little, comparatively, for their clients?

Jonathan Sourbeer: A Close Reading of My $20.91 Settlement Check - WSJ

So I went to the website printed on the bottom of the check statement to find out more. Straight from the FAQ page: The court awarded attorneys fees totaling $200 million, plus $27 million for expenses. And what did that get? Well, besides my $20.91 check, the 25 primary plaintiffs and class representatives—those connected directly to the case and participating in the actual lawsuit—received $395,270.

You read that right: The group of some 85 attorneys and their firms made about 500 times as much as the total amount the primary plaintiffs received.

Last edited:
I've been advised by my attorney out of San Rafael, CA 94912 that I (and others in the eligible class) under claim #TMAUA1-28239211-4-CIL have been awarded the tidy sum of $29.33 as payment that represents my part of the remaining Settlement Fund due to court order.

My attorney failed to mentioned how much Gilardi & Co LLC walked away with.

Class action suits are a hoot.:dance:

We got a check.

I was part of 2 separate class action suits as an AIG stockholder. I got a check for something like $8.67 on one, and the other I got a letter stating that as part of the settlement my portion was too small so no check was forthcoming.
My 2 children are attorneys, so I guess I'm allowed to say this: only the attorneys come out ahead on these class action suits.

Last edited:
The accelerator on my Prius got stuck once, but I didn't notice any difference...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Darn - my highlander-hybrid is too old to qualify... That would have been a nice meal out with the hubster. (We split entrees so we could even have left a tip.)

Back
Top Bottom