Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
"Hi, are you a cheap grouchy old bastard like me? Do you hate people? Do you hate phones? Do you especially hate talking to people on the phone? Well alrighty, TRACFONE IS FOR YOU!"
Hey! That's me! We have used Tracfone now for about 10 years. I am not glued to my cell phone like most other people are. Do you notice that the cell always rings at a bad time? Like when you are in the middle of painting and have your hands full. Many times a cell phone ties you down and distracts you from what you have planned. Watch who you give your number to. You may get abused when they want to blah blah blah.

Good point TromboneAl..."Purchase a minimum number of minutes, then, on the next page, supersize by adding 365 days of air time. Note that the total charge shown on the page may not show the supersizing. When you click the Checkout button, it will complete the transaction".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Tracfone for several years. I am on my third phone...DH is on his second phone and I have successfully transferred the minutes each time. I buy a one year card for each of us. I buy the card when a regional big box store has a $20 off coupon for one general merchandise item and that gets my annual cost to $80 for more minutes than I use. I had the double minutes for life phone.

I would like to have an iPhone but I am just too cheap to pay the monthly service plan. I am always very cautious about anything that is a recurring bill. In other words, it is not the price of the phone that is as a big a deterrent to me as the monthly service plan that goes with it. That is why I like prepaid.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
Net10 & Straight Talk (same company as Tracfone) have LG Optimus 3G Android phones now, though they are $150-180 I think LG Optimus Net(TM). A way to have an actual "smartphone," still no contract and relatively inexpensive. However, I have not actually used one so I don't know how they perform. And I'm sure they won't match the performance of an iPhone 4S or a 4G Android though but those require contracts and significantly higher minimum costs/month - as usual, you get what you pay for more often than not. Good luck.

I'd like to have the latest iPhone myself, I'm just way too cheap.
This is significant. I'll consider this if my iPod breaks, because I could have a cell, PDA, and camera all in one unit, and wouldn't have to rubber band them together.

A standardized sim card is such an elegant solution -- I wish tracfone would adopt it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Net10 & Straight Talk (same company as Tracfone) have LG Optimus 3G Android phones now, though they are $150-180 I think LG Optimus Net(TM). A way to have an actual "smartphone," still no contract and relatively inexpensive. However, I have not actually used one so I don't know how they perform. And I'm sure they won't match the performance of an iPhone 4S or a 4G Android though but those require contracts and significantly higher minimum costs/month - as usual, you get what you pay for more often than not. Good luck.

I have the LG optimus but on the Virgin Mobile network. Works well overall for a low end Android phone. It locks up occasionally and isn't nearly as fast as the latest high end 4g android phones but it gets the job done well and is very small so it fits easily in your pocket. You can't get the latest 3d graphics games on it but otherwise it runs almost every productivity app I have needed (for work). I think I paid $130 for it when it came out last year, so I imagine you can shop around for a deal now (but that was on Virgin mobile not the net10 and straight talk).

I use it for email and internet all the time and the 3g speeds don't really bother me (in the city so speeds are decent). Good camera. Only technical complaint is that the on board memory is tiny - something like 120 MB or 180 MB, and the different basic apps and OS use up a good bit, so I have to be cognizant of how many old unused apps I leave on there, and uninstall to free up space. Much better deal vs the thousands you would pay over the 2 year contract for a typical smart phone if you don't need bleeding edge tech.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have an itouch that I got for $20 last christmas. Brand new. It is an amazing tool.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
I have an itouch that I got for $20 last christmas. Brand new. It is an amazing tool.
Did you mean iPod Touch (amazing but not a phone) or iPhone? You can get an iPhone 3GS direct from AT&T now for 99 cents, but you have to buy a voice and data plan under contract last time I looked. Great phone if you're OK with the plan, but two revisions earlier than the current iPhone 4S.
iPhone 4S at AT&T - Download 3x faster only on AT&T's Network

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did you mean iPod Touch (amazing but not a phone) or iPhone? You can get an iPhone 3GS direct from AT&T now for 99 cents, but you have to buy a voice and data plan under contract last time I looked. Great phone if you're OK with the plan, but two revisions earlier than the current iPhone 4S.
iPhone 4S at AT&T - Download 3x faster only on AT&T's Network

Sorry you're right its a ipod touch. My son has converted or downloaded an app and has the ability to call and receive.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I have the LG optimus but on the Virgin Mobile network. ...........
Which plan? Beyond Talk?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
Sorry you're right its a ipod touch. My son has converted or downloaded an app and has the ability to call and receive.
I wouldn't have thought that was possible, but I see I'd be wrong. I learn something every day...
How to Turn Your iPod touch into an iPhone: 4G Edition

Amazing...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

But it is then really a wi-fi phone and not a cell phone, right? In other words, fine if you are at home or Starbucks, but not it you are in the car or whatever.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But it is then really a wi-fi phone and not a cell phone, right? In other words, fine if you are at home or Starbucks, but not it you are in the car or whatever.

Since some folks are on a limited plan or pay as you go the alternative is what I do. I use wifi phone. I use cell phone only on emergency.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski
That's correct. I set up my iPod touch for wifi calling, used it once, found it worked fine, and never used it again.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Which plan? Beyond Talk?
I guess it is beyond talk. 300 minutes, unlimited texting and data*. Grandfathered in last year at $25/mo ($27 after all taxes and fees). Currently the low end plan is $35/mo IIRC.

* data is unlimited for the first few gigabytes. After that they throttle your bandwidth to 256 kbps until the next month on your plan starts. Not too big a deal on 3g since you sip data through a straw anyway.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm in a similar position with Virgin, only I have $235 in credit. I thought maybe I could get a smart phone and burn off the credit using remote web access, but they appear to have a firewall between the so called "Paylo" prepaid text / voice and the "Beyond Talk" smart phone service. Any phone with Android capability seems to fall into the other service category and my credit is unusable.
Just as a follow up to my own comment, I found a way to harvest credits that I'll never use on my Virgin account. I used the credit to buy a smartphone from Virgin on line, then immediately resold it on eBay. As luck would have it I bought it on sale, then resold it after the price at Virgin has jumped back up, so was able to clear a small profit after fees.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just as a follow up to my own comment, I found a way to harvest credits that I'll never use on my Virgin account. I used the credit to buy a smartphone from Virgin on line, then immediately resold it on eBay. As luck would have it I bought it on sale, then resold it after the price at Virgin has jumped back up, so was able to clear a small profit after fees.

That is interesting.... when I tried to do that a few years ago they would not let me buy another phone with the credits... I guess they have changed tactics...