Treadmills!

Mwsinron

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hey all

DW and I are looking to see if anyone has recently purchased a treadmill. We are looking to spend 700 to 1000. We are avid walkers but need something for bad weather days and for when its dark out. So any past experiences with brands or models would be helpful. Right now we are looking at Nordic Tracks. There is also a brand that is called Smooth 2.5 that got great ratings from several magazines but you can only purchase it from the company. You cant actually touch and feel before you buy :(

Got a Nordic Track and it's fine -- moderate use for 2-3 years now (I only use it when the weather makes jogging outdoors unpleasant, but put about 4-5 miles on it per session).

I would rely heavily on whatever Consumer Reports says. Also, while I almost never purchase extended warranties I might make an exception for a treadmill based on my experience of repairs being likely, ridiculous shipping costs, and expensive and quickly obsolete parts.

I bought one 5 years ago, my advice would be to try them out. I spent several weeks going from place to place with a friend of mine that is a trainer and a PT, we finally settled on a Keys. I needed one that would fold up because of space issues, it was also very sturdy.

Thanks,

We are noticing one thing there is about 5000 different makes models and everything under the sun :D Good idea about checking Consumer Reports.

I recommend a Landice, kind of pricey but worth it.

We wore the 1st one out in 12 years and bought the same machine last Feb.

When buying take a look at the thickness of the rollers. The thicker rollers usually indicate a better machine.

I like my treadmilll a lot, but if you spend over $20 you are wasting your money. That's right, $20.

Why? Because treadmills are prime garage sale items. People spend $1,000 for a treadmill, and after it gathers dust for a few years, they can't wait to get rid of it. They'll probably throw in their Ab Lounger for free.

I spent a total of $0 for my Weslo Cadence. Nothing fancy, but it does the job and has never had any problems. I got it for free because the owner thought it was broken. All that was wrong was that there was a plug loose.

If you can't find a good treadmill in a few weekends of garage and rummage sales, you aren't trying.

P.S. Check classifieds also.

73ss454 said:
I recommend a Landice, kind of pricey but worth it.

I'll second this. I bought a used Landice from Craigslist for $150. This thing is built like a tank and weighs about 250 pounds. It runs up to 12 MPH at a 15% incline and is made to withstand up to a 400 pound user at those settings. (The former owner was a 300 pound man who ran on it at 8 to 10 MPH.)

Hauling it up the stairs, now that was a workout...

Oops, now I see that I overpaid by about $130. Thanks Al. ;)

SC

i find an elliptical machine more useful and beneficial than just a treadmill.

check one out and see what you think.

TromboneAl is right. A quick search of Craigslist in the D.C. area found 57 treadmills listed for sale. Looks like lots of good ones in the $300 - $500 range.

Grumpy

I bought mine brand new, got it at BJ's Wholesale for half what it would have cost normally. Bought our BowFlex used and got a great deal.

Good idea Al Ill check for "sales" We arent ones to not use things. IE we are avid walkers this is to supplement our walking when it is pouring or too dark at night. Problem is with buying on Cragslists is that the thing could be worn out and basically you just paid for junk ;)

You might want to check for discontinued floor models, they can be very inexpensive and the warrenty is usually just like one out of the box. Definately check the warehouse clubs like Sam's, BJ's and Costco.

Mwsinron said:
Problem is with buying on Cragslists is that the thing could be worn out and basically you just paid for junk ;)
That's never been my experience.

We've made over two dozen Craigslist purchases over the last year. Most of the merchandise has been barely used and was being sold by people who had no idea of its value or who were too busy/stressed/cluttered to care.

Our last purchase was our diningroom table (with two leaves) & six chairs. We bought ours in 1988 for $2200. Last month bought a 10-year old version of the exact same dining set for $650 (divorcée combining households with her boyfriend) and it's in perfect condition. (This time we're going to buy a glass top to protect the finish.) We sold our old dining set, chipped varnish & all, for $800.

Freecycle has a lot of used-up equipment... but that's the price you pay for free!

When we moved to our tiny apartment we had to give up our nice treadmill - we sold it on Craigslist, that guy got a great deal!

I do miss it, but the gym is only 3 minutes away.

Buying good used stuff in my neck of the woods is about impossible. People want way too much money for junk. If they can't sell it at their price, dangit, they will just keep it. :(

Martha said:
Buying good used stuff in my neck of the woods is about impossible. People want way too much money for junk. If they can't sell it at their price, dangit, they will just keep it. :(

That is because libs have no clue as to how free enterprise works.
Now, if they could get the government to set prices on "junk", tax
garage sales/flea markets and
control distribution..........why then all would run smoothly and everyone
would live happily ever after.

JG

dw HAD to have one. Finally broke down and got her one about 6 months ago... Its still in the truck ::)

Runner's World reviews treadmills once a year or so.

According to what I have read where you want to be on price/quality depends very much on usage. The cheaper ones just don't hold up to hard usage but are fine for walking and limited use.

So if you are doing 10 miles a day at a 6 minute/mile pace you need something on the high end. e.g. Bigger engine, rollers, etc.

But if you only use it for walking on rainy days (unless you live in Seattle) then a cheaper model is ok.

MB

you need to be able to run some interesting programs on a treadmill or unless you are a runner they grow boring very quick. thats why so many are used for holding clothes or for sale.

the problem i find with tread mills are that if you are just a walker they are not very varied as far as routine. they dont even simulate real walking well as the motion of just lifting your feet while the treadmill does all the moving is a very different motion than you use propelling your own weight and pushing off with your feet when you walk.

you have to be ready to use some pretty steep inclines too if you intend to use it for cardio growth or else you have to take it up to some pretty high un-natural walking speeds where achilles tendon problems can arise.

walking is okay for some calorie burning although keep in mind a half hour on a treadmill at 4.00 mph is about the calories of a can of coke. walking unless you are out of shape so badly or have circulation problems is not really a cardio routine. for cardio you need to get your heart rate up into your target zone and keep it there,

my vote is get an elliptical machine instead. far more muscle groups can be worked, a better cardio routine can be gotten without the pending achilles tendon issues of un-natural fast walking or extreme inclines and a more varied routine..

Buying good used stuff in my neck of the woods is about impossible. People want way too much money for junk.

I think it was like that in the Bay Area, but out here in the boonies, it's the opposite. I'm amazed at how little people charge here. It doesn't seem worth it, but often they'll sell paperbacks for 10 cents each.

Last week my wife asked the price of a beautiful Fair Isle wool sweater in perfect condition, and the woman said "How about 50?" I was thinking, "Well, $50 is more than I would pay, but I guess it's worth it." Then I realized the woman meant 50 cents!

Back
Top Bottom