Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nothing serious (yet), but looks like a rainy day in DFW. We need it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
i checked the news at late sunday night from my hotel in harlingen. that was the first i had heard of any tropical weather. we packed up and scooted out of town yesterday around 10 am. just a lot of rain on the road back to houston.

stay safe, and dry.
Good move, as Harlingen got 6+ inches in a fairly short amount of time last night. Wind gusts up to 53 mph in nearby Brownsville, and a brief tornado.

How long does it take to get to Houston from Harlingen? I'm not sure I would have made it back in one day...

Audrey

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How long does it take to get to Houston from Harlingen? I'm not sure I would have made it back in one day...
Normally about 6 hours, I think. With good driving conditions and no traffic snafus.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #24

You Texans doing all right? Good to see you posting in the morning.

Just out of curiosity - what level of storm or wind speed begins to threaten RVs and what can you do to minimize the potential damage, aside from driving away?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Just out of curiosity - what level of storm or wind speed begins to threaten RVs and what can you do to minimize the potential damage, aside from driving away?
Still only a little drizzle here, and that's likely all it will be for a few more hours. By this afternoon I think it should be packing a little more punch up here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Well, considering that I did at one time reach 80mph on the interstate with no problems.....

I have driven on highways with 40-45mph side winds as well, and been OK.

If high winds threaten, we may bring in the slides to save our slide toppers and reduce our wind profile. If the high winds come from fore or aft, then we barely even feel them. Side wind gusts can be uncomfortable, but the motorhome is too bottom heavy to tip over.

Things like tornadoes, and hurricanes though - all bets are off. Nearby tornado warning - we seek a building for shelter. Hurricane expected - we leave. Twisting winds or side winds exceeding 70mph - I would not stay in the motorhome.

Very little rain overnight last night, and I don't think we'll get much today. We ended up on the "dry" side of the storm. We could really use some rain. Looks like Corpus Christi and north of there is getting hammered.

Audrey
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Normally about 6 hours, I think. With good driving conditions and no traffic snafus.
Really? It takes me 6 hours by car to get from here to Austin. 350 miles. I think it's quite a bit further to Houston from here. I know I can't do it in one day in the motorhome.

Well - looks like it's about the same distance - 356 miles. I guess things are farther apart when you are driving a motorhome.

Audrey
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #28

Now it's starting to come down pretty hard. Not driving down sheets where you have no visibility driving, but the rain isn't "light" any more.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Good move, as Harlingen got 6+ inches in a fairly short amount of time last night. Wind gusts up to 53 mph in nearby Brownsville, and a brief tornado.

Audrey
ziggy is correct. ~6 hours (including the border patrol stop). it took me about 10 hours to get down there, but i rode my bike from the house to ganado (a little north of victoria). i wanted to ride it back part of the way, but we decided to scurry back. i especially wanted to experience a border patrol check point on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Now it's starting to come down pretty hard. Not driving down sheets where you have no visibility driving, but the rain isn't "light" any more.
it's let up a little here in houston. since i commute by bike, auto-ists visibility is a major concern of mine...i've been in worse though...
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #30

Some heavy downpours here in the Houston area plus flash flood and tornado warnings. Good day to stay indoors and watch the footy.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Some heavy downpours here in the Houston area plus flash flood and tornado warnings. Good day to stay indoors and watch the footy.
Yeah....bunch of rain at my abode right now and thunder.

btw, what's a footy?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
btw, what's a footy?
Football my dear (as in the game you play with your feet).

It's a big day in the European Cup qualifiers. I'm currently watching Switzerland v England, while monitoring the other results as they happen.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Football my dear (as in the game you play with your feet).

It's a big day in the European Cup qualifiers. I'm currently watching Switzerland v England, while monitoring the other results as they happen.
Oh...I see...I found a footy...me likey....
Old 09-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Was quiet and rain-free for a few hours here, but round two (or is it three) is about to arrive...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dma_still.JPG (112.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Tornado warning for my county...Collin...until 4:13 p.m.

Hmmm...maybe I'll be online later...or maybe not.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Tornado warning for my county...Collin...until 4:13 p.m.

Hmmm...maybe I'll be online later...or maybe not.
Yikes! Be safe. Nothing like that here. We have had about 1.25" of rain in town from this event so far, and what's left of the "eye" (a large yellowish circular blob on the radar) is starting to pass through town, south to north.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

All is well here so far...tornado watch until 8 pm. I think I just need to chill and turn the weather channel off...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All is well here so far...tornado watch until 8 pm. I think I just need to chill and turn the weather channel off...
Don't worry, the sireens will sound if there's a threat.

No, that's not misspelled; that's the Texas spelling...

Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

No, that's not misspelled; that's the Texas spelling...
There's a great folksong I think sung by Cisco Houston with this line

I'm takin' it easy, I'm takin' it slow, I ain't a gonna worry, till the sireens blow.

I looked on YouTube to find it but no luck.

Found it!

Ha
Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
They used to blast the 'sireen' just to make sure it was in working order....seems like each Wednesday. I haven't heard it in a long time...I guess it still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
There's a great folksong I think sung by Cisco Houston with this line

I'm takin' it easy, I'm takin' it slow, I ain't a gonna worry, till the sireens blow.

I looked on YouTube to find it but no luck.

Found it!

Ha
Ahhhh great song Ha......