Trying to suck me back to work.

mf15

Recycles dryer sheets
Just got a call, seems that two of the people we had left in the department are having family medical problems,so that means that the guy who replaced me has to do a lot of traveling. My old boss wants me to perhaps fill in doing lab work a couple days a week.
I have only been out for 11 months, and was tired of doing what I was doing for 30 plus years.
I like being retired, but now my wife says it would be good for me, I sit around on the computer too much.
Hopefully this does not pan out, I really do not want to go back to the
global matrix, I thought I was factored out.
My old boss has not ran this by his boss yet so don't know much,or even if it will happen.
I would imagine that many here are not in favor of going back, even for short term work. I am only 61 and Ered so have to stretch for 8 months until SS kicks in. But we put away cash to carry over this lowered income
period. A few days a week would not hurt or would it.

Any thoughts.
Old Mike

If you are happy, does it really matter if you sit around on the computer? If it isn't a money thing, do what your heart tells you.

Seems like if they offer you enough money for it to be worth your while...go for it. After you're there for a while and you decide you don't like it, tell them you don't want to play anymore and go home. :)

Hold them up for whatever amount would entice you to 'happily' go back to the grind.
Otherwise, just keep on surfing :D
... my 2 cents worth ... and worth every penny
good luck on your decision

I was invited to my old w@rkplace last week in part to discuss a short term return. I would be the liaison between a new contractor and upper management. Much could be done on the phone from home or by email. Then I started reading some things that would be required and hearing the same old problems and politely said I had renovation plans over the next couple of months and left the door open for another time, in case something more interesting came up.
Had a nice lunch and a chat with a few people,
Bruce

Old Mike, it doesn't sound like you have any desire whatsoever to return to work. I wouldn't either!

If your wife is concerned that all you do is sit around with the computer all day, and you want to change that, then join a gym. There are ways of getting out of the house without going back to work.

Edited to add: P.S., thanks for saying "only 61". I am 61 and feel like I am older than Methuselah this week. But then, I am still working.:yuk:

Last edited:
I agree with others--if you're not excited about going back, maybe figure out how much money would make it worth it (or--not the $$ itself, but what you would buy with this "extra" money). Then go in and have a talk with them, and have a graceful excuse ready so that you can decline and maybe keep the door open (one never knows . . .)

If how you now spend your time at home bothers your wife, maybe she should get a (or another) job so she won't be home to see how you spend your time and thereby get all disturbed. (Just my two cents.)

Hmmmmm...this is not your idea to begin with (pull from former j*b), you're not excited about doing lab w*rk anymore, you don't really need the money...
Your desire to follow this venture is not jumping off the screen.
No brainer. Keep surfing. :LOL:

I had a similar offer a few months after retirement, and since they were willing to pay me twice my previous rate, I worked a few days (on my own schedule) over a six month period. The big difference in doing this versus the old job was knowing that it was a temporary gig (and they were willing to pay well for my services).

Consultant $$ might make this one a no-brainer ... otherwise keep surf'n.

Thanks for the comments. I may decide to go back since this is what I believe to be
an unfortunate set of medical problems. Seems like my old boss is in a bit of a jam, and we have been good friends for 30 years, although he was my boss for about the last 10. However the company will have to pay through the nose for disrupting my
play time. I will also have to change my car insurance back to work mode, which will of course raise my rate.
Old Mike

I like being retired, but now my wife says it would be good for me, I sit around on the computer too much.
Your wife is concerned about your productivity during retirement? What is she doing?

It's not your problem anymore. That's why you retired. But if you decide to help anyway based on personal friendship, then just make sure you are well rewarded for such an inconvenience!

Audrey

Audrey:Wife is a realestate agent,selling a few,but mostly running around trying to get problem deals finished. Much harder than a few years ago,difficult for some people to get a mortgage unless finances are real good. Of course that is the way it should be. So she is quite active,while I have fun reading this site and others and
watching the stock market.
Old Mike

I am taking a Buy Out of $25,000, less taxes, when I leave. If I get sucked back in, I will have to pay back the entire $25,000, not the less taxes amount. So this guarantees that I won't be tempted, unless they are willing to pay me so much that I would be able to eat that $25K, which ain't going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom