Turkey Meal Photos

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It was just Lena and me today. I tried this to avoid cooking a whole big bird:

FVMSr3b.jpg

It tasted just as good as "the real thing." That's low-carb stuffing, by the way.

Could you post a link to your low carb stuffing recipe ? The DW is a stuffing nut and I am low carb.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Bear in mind there were only two of us and DW wasn't feeling all that well with a cold (which is why we stayed home). A turkey, even a small one, would be a bit much for two so we had chicken instead.

Also practicing the KISS principle.

Attachments

• Tday_table.jpg
    Tday_table.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 36
Here's ours, just before devour-ment. The turkey is behind the first (orange) candle, and the bowl on the left-hand side of the table is way more mashed potatoes than we could finish in two settings. We had all the kids (3) and grandkids (3), plus one boyfriend...

Attachments

• DSC_9670a-small.JPG
    DSC_9670a-small.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 33
I cooked the turkey in this contraption (steam and smoke - apple wood this time).

2 hours 16 minutes later I pulled it out. Breast at 165 and thigh 179 (targets 160 and 175). Before cooking, I pulled the bird out of the refrigerator and flipped it breast side down on some zip lock bags of ice (to chill the breast meat so it would take longer to cook).

The turkey was completely cooked, yet REAL juicy, not dried-out.

DW does a great job on the decorations. Too busy eating to take any more pictures, hehe!

Attachments

• orion0.jpg
    orion0.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 26
  • orion1.jpg
    orion1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 22
  • orion2.jpg
    orion2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 23
  • orion3.jpg
    orion3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
Up early this morning to knead and bake some bread - simple, but it disappeared at the dinner we went to. That smoked turkey is beee-u-ti-ful!

Attachments

• V__F784.jpg
    V__F784.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 23
We had a nice candlelight dinner with DW. The bird was roasted to perfection and the chestnut gravy was delicious but my favorite was the apple pie (I followed my mom's recipe).

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1417152040.131559.jpg

Pre-dinner sampling of a raspberry wine, when paired with a taste of chocolate that combination is unbelievably delicious. Who says you can't start with a dessert? The meal L-R; carved up grilled turkey, cranberries, brother's stuffed squash, scalloped potatoes, stuffing, rolls, & mom's fruit compote. Pear crisp & apple crisp for dessert.

Attachments

• Turkey Dinner.jpg
    Turkey Dinner.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 15
Here's the Thanksgiving table ready to go at Mo Money's house. Meal was delicious, though most of the cleanup of the aftermath begins this morning....

Attachments

• Thanksgiving table 2014.jpg
    Thanksgiving table 2014.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 20
Could you post a link to your low carb stuffing recipe ? The DW is a stuffing nut and I am low carb.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I pasted it below.

When I first made this, I used low-carb waffles that I'd made using CarbQuik (recipe here). Now, I use low-carb bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Company. That bread is wonderful. I tested it, measuring my blood sugar after eating three slices, and confirmed that it is indeed very low carb.

All my recipes are available on my Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6oSUBFCSnatRHN5djFGS2gtS0k&usp=sharing

Stuffing (Low Carb)

Takes about 45 minutes.

About 1 pound of Carbquik Waffles (or low carb bread), crumbled or cut into SMALL cubes
1 large onion, chopped
6-7 cups chopped celery - about 2 small bunches
1 green Bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped (about 2 cups). Get all stems off!
4 teaspoons poultry seasoning, such as Bells
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Salt - start with 1/2 teaspoon, or 1 T chicken or turkey soup base (see below)
1 cup water or broth, plus more according to moisture needed
1 - 3 eggs if baking stuffing, and if desired (nutritional info includes 1 egg)
1 T cooking oil

1) Allow the waffles to dry out for awhile, either on the counter on in a low oven. It doesn't have to be totally dry, just kind of stale-level dry.
\2) Saute onion, celery, and pepper until soft. Add parsley and cook for a minute or so, until wilted. Add seasonings. I include about a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Soup Base at this point.

3) Mix together the vegetables and the bread. Add a cup of broth or water, stir, and taste. Adjust seasoning and moisture. If you're going to stuff poultry with it, leave it on the dry side because it will absorb a lot of juices during cooking. You can eat it just as it is, but if you bake it, the flavors will come together better. Adding egg will make it come together in more of a melded-together form. I usually add one egg, but don't like it too melded. You can add 2, or even three eggs. Mix well and bake at 350 F. for about half an hour, or until browned on top.

An hour or so at 350 should be fine. Make sure you take some of the drippings, especially the fat, and add it to the mix as it bakes. If you want the top crispy, you can uncover the top for about 15 minutes at the end, but I usually do mine covered in foil the whole time

Thanks once again. DW made the low carb stuffing for our early Xmas dinner last night and it came out a treat. Wouldn't have known the difference.

I use low-carb bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Company. That bread is wonderful. I tested it, measuring my blood sugar after eating three slices, and confirmed that it is indeed very low carb.

Al - I went to the website for the Great Low Carb Bread Company to find out more about their products (i.e., how they are made, what's in them), and there is very little information there. I don't doubt that your blood test is accurate, and that this bread does not raise blood sugar very much, but I'm always skeptical of eating something when I don't know what's in it, how it was made, etc. (my bias toward eating mostly whole/real foods, I guess). Any light you could shed on what's in this stuff (and why you think it does not raise blood sugar, as most bread would) would be appreciated.......thanks.

The way I see it is that most of the carbs are fiber, so they don't get digested. The ingredients look good to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Here's a great Turkey meal I had a while back. Actually, it was the dessert part of the meal: chocolate bread (chewy chocolate middle surrounded by sweat bread, topped off with almonds), and, of course, Turkish coffee. Istanbul has pretty good food.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom