Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's no room there because of the couch.

Oops. Just got this month's, and it's $110, due to the new dehumidifier.
The dehumidifier might well be the first candidate for a timer, since it is essentially a fridge as well, and could likley be turned off for a while.

meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You don't need to turn the fridge off, you need to move it out on the porch.
It's dumping heat into the house, they should keep it inside and not waste the "free" heat.

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
With electric rate so high, I would be tempted to go off-the-grid with a solar system. This is a lot easier when there's no need for AC.

Any excess power that is produced will not be unused, as I can just use it to run the dehumidifier more, or perhaps plug in two.
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I'll do a little experimenting with the kill-a-watt.

Note it's not much of a hardship. I don't expect the food to spoil. The biggest disadvantage will be the fact the the light won't come on in the fridge when we open the door.
It isn't about the food for a few hours. I still question if turning a fridge off/on at the plug every day won't create other problems with the defrost cycle and short cycles of the compressor. Fridges are not meant to be turned on/off from the plug like that every day.

If I were to mess with this (and I wouldn't), I'd trick out the thermostat with a series or parallel resistor to make the fridge think it is colder than it is for those hours. I'd also add logic so it doesn't do it during a run cycle. Defrost would not be affected by altering the thermostat setting in this way. And you'd still have a light!

There's gotta be easier ways to save a few $ a month?

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You don't need to turn the fridge off, you need to move it out on the porch.
Seriously. We stayed nearby for a month once, and I was shocked by 55 degree highs in May.
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
As far as cycling the fridge, I can't imagine a 3 hour outage from 4-7 would result in a high temperature gain. Maybe 5 degrees if you aren't opening it much? Food might spoil slightly quicker, but being at the target temp the other 21 hours of the day would prevent any significant increase in spoilage.
I think food spoilage could be a real risk. It's been a long time since I looked at any chemistry, but as I recall reactions could double their rate with only small (linear) increases in temperature -- I'd be surprised if that didn't also apply to bacteria growth.

According to FDA (Power Outages: Key Tips for Consumers About Food Safety) "Refrigerated food should be safe as long as the power was out for no more than 4 hours. Keep the door closed as much as possible." -- The OP is talking about 3 hour outage which is shorter than 4 hours, but I assume he wants to do this everyday which would substantially increase risk.

There may be some "safety factor" in the FDA rule, so it might not be too bad. I'd probably be okay with power outages on a repeated basis for some foods like vegetables, cheese, etc. But I don't think I'd be willing to risk it if I had any raw meat in the refrigerator portion.

But is it worth it to save the 11.5 cents per kWh three hours per day for five months of the year?
Having had food poisoning before, I wouldn't do it personally.

photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote