Turns on a dime...

Audrey1, SteveR, Loosechickens and all the rest of you RV and bus drivers out there, here's a little video to show you the proper way to reverse course if you get into a tight situation.

Rich, maybe you can translate for those of us who don't speak French. Un car fait demi-tour sur un pont

The sound track seems to be in German, while the title is French.

I liked the shot of the driver- cool as can be. Incredibly impressive video. I think I'd have climbed out and walked down the road.

Ha

The title is indeed in French. it means "A Bus Makes a U-turn on a Bridge". The comments are in German though. It's hard to hear the comments except when they count down. The guy had 3 minutes to turn the bus around, and it looks like it took him a few seconds too many. Remarkable nonetheless!

That's wild! I sent the link to a friend of mine who is a tour director for a travel company we go with all the time. I told her the owner could use that maneuver as test when hiring new motor-coach drivers. She'll forward it to him, and he'll probably call me to see if I want to be the first to try it......."Ummmm....NO! At least not on a bridge." :D

I'd try it on a course using painted lines as the 'bridge edges'. So if you see a crazy person driving a Prevost in a K-Mart parking lot, moving back and forth like that....wave and say hi to the Goon! :uglystupid:

That was amazing! Good thing there were no guardrails on that bridge. I can't imagine having my tag wheels hanging out in space like that. WoW! And I whine about trying to get into a campground space.

Do those big things have cameras to see where your wheels are? :D

Mine has side and rear cameras but the angle of view is pretty wide so the view of the wheels is not all that good. The driver was using his side mirrors. This is even more amazing as the turn was performed at night with movie lights on the bus. I have enough trouble judging distances in the mirrors in the daylight.

Yeah, but I wonder if they shot it in one take...

Hard to tell from the footage...a lot of different camera angles but no visible cameras.
On re-review I wonder if this was computer generated. The revolving red lights look fake as does the bus undercarriage and wheel covers. Some shots look unnatural so I wonder if it is the real deal or not.

Added:
I went frame by frame and you can see the camera men (persons?). One is to the left of the bridge and there are two on the right side under that side of the bridge. There is another one on a crane in front of the bus and a camera mounted on the bus above the driver on the passenger side. The lighting is still strange but I can see it is for real. The actual time it took might be argued because of all the camera angle edits.

Still...very impressive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom