Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our problem is not with the speakers, though we use some of our older computer speakers, which work out well.... The problem is the with the sound at the source. Our hearing tests out fine, so it's not creeping deafness.

Thus... a short rant about sound from the TV:

1. Biggest complaint is the nouveaux style of acting in many TV shows, where the actors tend to whisper and speak in low tones. Whatever are they thinking?

2. The second worst aggravation, probably comes from movie theater sounds that amplify introduction and action scenes beyond normal comfort levels. So bad that we have installed a sound leveling device.

3. Uneven commercial sounds. Despite the ruling by the FCC restricting overly loud commercials, little has been done to control this annoyance. (On another day, I'll report on my complaint to the FCC... Unbelievable response.)

4. Since we watch many British shows and sometimes miss the inflections, we now use closed captioning in addition to speakers. The annoyance comes from the oddity that different shows have different ways of presenting the captioning. While the best captioning comes from bottom of the screen lettering on black background, some producers insist on overlaying the captions on the face of the person speaking. Other closed captioning is worthless, using poor speech recognition programs that lag the video, and lose large parts of the conversation, while using huge lettering...so not just for the deaf, but for the blind. IMHO, CC needs standards.
That said, closed captioning has enhance our viewing experience. It is now second nature to turn CC on most movies, and almost always on Netflix and Amazon. No longer a distraction, and we find we can talk together without shushing each other.

..end of rant...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
2. The second worst aggravation, probably comes from movie theater sounds that amplify introduction and action scenes beyond normal comfort levels. So bad that we have installed a sound leveling device.
Many TV's have a built-in volume leveler, sometimes referred to as "night volume" or "auto volume" which also does this.

Those who have a surround system can also lower the volume of the main speakers and/or raise the volume of the centre channel (which carries mostly talking) to better balance the voices with the action scenes.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #23

Quote:
1. Biggest complaint is the nouveaux style of acting in many TV shows, where the actors tend to whisper and speak in low tones. Whatever are they thinking?
They are probably thinking that advertisers are only paying the big bucks for viewers 18 to 49 years old.

Quote:
3. Uneven commercial sounds. Despite the ruling by the FCC restricting overly loud commercials, little has been done to control this annoyance. (On another day, I'll report on my complaint to the FCC... Unbelievable response.)
Probably an explanation about how what we're seeing today is compliance with the FCC ruling, and that folks who thought that a ruling would somehow get the people who pay upfront for television programs (advertisers) to stop getting real value from their investment would only prompt them to be more innovative with regard to how to do so.

Quote:
4. Since we watch many British shows and sometimes miss the inflections, we now use closed captioning in addition to speakers. The annoyance comes from the oddity that different shows have different ways of presenting the captioning. While the best captioning comes from bottom of the screen lettering on black background, some producers insist on overlaying the captions on the face of the person speaking.
Blame the actors, writers and directors for that one: They have provisions in their contracts for presentation of credits that closed captioning is not permitted to abridge. In the vast majority of cases, closed captioning placed above the midline ends after the Directed by credit has been presented.

Quote:
Other closed captioning is worthless, using poor speech recognition programs that lag the video, and lose large parts of the conversation, while using huge lettering...so not just for the deaf, but for the blind.
Live programming CC is horrible, but mainly because it is insanely difficult work. I haven't had any significant examples of "worthless" closed captions for prime time, prerecorded programming.

CC is passed along on broadcast television as metadata, not presented graphics. The presented graphics is a product of your playback device, and often is configurable within your playback device. We have ours set for medium size, translucent black background, cyan text.

Quote:
IMHO, CC needs standards.
Of course, there are standards for when CC needs to be provided, and how to structure and transmit the metadata. What you mean, I suppose, is that CC needs quality standards. That would be difficult, for the reasons outlined above; ... because the criteria and the evaluation of the criteria would be subjective; ... and because what is good versus bad may not only vary but also be swapped left-to-right and right-to-left, from evaluator to evaluator. For example, most of us over-50 folks watching television with CC on don't care to have CC littered with the subtle background sounds like "(door creaks)" because it makes following the dialog that much more difficult, but legally deaf folks like my spouse need such clues.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bumping up an old thread. I'm trying to hook up my older JVC receiver to a new Samsung TV but the red/white RCA cable that connects directly to both simply does not work. This worked years ago on an older TV and different receiver, but I'm guessing the newer TV is not compatible under this setup. So.....would or should one of the below mini-amplifiers hooked from the headphone jack of the receiver do the job? Specifically does the receiver power/wattage push the sound or will the sound to the speakers be pushed by the mini-amplifier? I have older JBL bookshelf type speakers and they sound great when pushed by the receiver. But if using one of these amps provides a lesser sound, I really don't care to proceed.

As you can tell, I don't know what I'm doing. I actually bought a Samsung sound bar and the darn sub woofer won't pair to the sound bar. Spent several hours fooling with that and on the phone with Samsung. They concluded the unit is defective. Born loser here....... Shipping it back for refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
You would have to use the headphone jack to go to a receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you just want basic stereo out, and have the speakers, just get one of these min-amplifiers to connect through the headphone jack. They sip such a teensy bit of power when not driven, I just leave them on all the time.

Have this connected to some old 'minimus' Radio Shack speakers to the kitchen TV - plenty loud to boost the the sound.

Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply

Higher power, and bigger bucks - have one of these hooked up to my older home stereo speakers and a TV in a spare bedroom - it cranks out pretty well:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Mini Amplifier 60 WPC

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Bumping up an old thread. I'm trying to hook up my older JVC receiver to a new Samsung TV but the red/white RCA cable that connects directly to both simply does not work. This worked years ago on an older TV and different receiver, but I'm guessing the newer TV is not compatible under this setup. So.....would or should one of the below mini-amplifiers hooked from the headphone jack of the receiver do the job? Specifically does the receiver power/wattage push the sound or will the sound to the speakers be pushed by the mini-amplifier? I have older JBL bookshelf type speakers and they sound great when pushed by the receiver. But if using one of these amps provides a lesser sound, I really don't care to proceed. ....
I think you should first understand why the connection you had on the older TV does not work with the new TV.

1) Is the receiver actually working and switched to the red/white RCA cable (which input are the cables on, and which input is the receiver set to?)? Test this with another source, or just leave the cable end loose (TV end), turn the volume all the way down, then turn up the volume as you tap your finger on the center pin of each red/white cable tip. You should hear a buzz/hum as you do that. If no noise, you need to figure out why.

2) Is the TV actually putting out audio on the connectors you plugged the cable into? Those might be inputs? They might be video out, rather than audio? There might be a setting on the TV menu to enable the audio output. Is the TV volume turned up?

Alternately, you might try hooking the receiver to the headphone jack on the TV (that's what I do, as my TV only has digital audio output, and the headphone jack is the only analog output).

You wouldn't normally hook an external amp to the headphone jack of a receiver that is connected to the TV, although I guess you could do that if the receiver amplifier is shot.

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Dawg, please allow me to jump in also, and ask a dumb question too. I seen your added comment from ERD about the mini amp. I was wondering if the mini amp can just be plugged into tv itself to just boost the output of the internal tv speakers themselves?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I would go to AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews and "Search" on your particular Samsung model. It is probable that someone has had (or is having) the same issue. You will not find a more knowledgeable group of Audio/Visual people.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Dawg, please allow me to jump in also, and ask a dumb question too. I seen your added comment from ERD about the mini amp. I was wondering if the mini amp can just be plugged into tv itself to just boost the output of the internal tv speakers themselves?
Unlikely. That would require an audio line level output and a speaker level input directly to the internal speakers. I've never seen an input directly to the internal speakers on a TV.

And even if there was a speaker input, you can bet that the speakers aren't rated for very much higher power than the internal amp provides (that would be wasted $, and this is a very competitive market). So if you did hook up an external amp, you'd probably blow the speakers in very little time.

Also, the internal speakers are typically the weak link. For better sound you really want external speakers, and a larger amp to drive them.

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

tv audio out to speakers

Thanks ERD, and you already answered the follow up question too! I was just wanting to squeeze a tiny bit more "fullness and sound" without adding external speakers. Anything small speaker wise out there cheap on market that would sound modestly better than the standard flat tv speaker sound? TV speakers are not horrible just would like a modest "fullness increase" for the LV. I have my big screen downstairs is fully connected to my Bose stereo downstairs, but I do not like to go down there as often anymore.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think you should first understand why the connection you had on the older TV does not work with the new TV.

1) Is the receiver actually working and switched to the red/white RCA cable (which input are the cables on, and which input is the receiver set to?)? Test this with another source, or just leave the cable end loose (TV end), turn the volume all the way down, then turn up the volume as you tap your finger on the center pin of each red/white cable tip. You should hear a buzz/hum as you do that. If no noise, you need to figure out why.

Cables are connected to TV Sound input on receiver and audio out on the TV. Leaving the cables loose and tapping the end and you can hear the tapping buzz sound through the external speakers.

2) Is the TV actually putting out audio on the connectors you plugged the cable into? Those might be inputs? They might be video out, rather than audio? There might be a setting on the TV menu to enable the audio output. Is the TV volume turned up?

Plugged into audio. Labeled audio on the TV with video next to it. Did not plug into video. On the TV menu I turned off tv speakers and turned on external speakers. Nothing. Tried it both ways though. Volume is up on receiver and tv. Tried it different ways though with tv sound down and only receiver volume up. And with Tv volume up.

Alternately, you might try hooking the receiver to the headphone jack on the TV (that's what I do, as my TV only has digital audio output, and the headphone jack is the only analog output).

What type of wire would I use to try this?

-ERD50
See above. BTW, my CD player connects to receiver so don't think receiver is shot.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My Yamaha sound bar which is hooked to my Samsung tv with an optical cable, has a "clear voice" feature which definitely helps to boost the voices frequencies.
But my DW still says I have the sound too loud....
Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I would go to AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews and "Search" on your particular Samsung model. It is probable that someone has had (or is having) the same issue. You will not find a more knowledgeable group of Audio/Visual people.
I didn't find my exact model but one reply on another TV indicated that the audio connectors are probably input only on the TV. This guy suggested the below to plug into the head phone jack. Maybe this is what ERD50 meant. Cheap enough item to try so may go get one later.

4 INCH Mini Jack 3.5mm Male Stereo Plug to 2 RCA Female Jack cable
Old 10-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... 2) Is the TV actually putting out audio on the connectors you plugged the cable into? Those might be inputs? They might be video out, rather than audio? There might be a setting on the TV menu to enable the audio output. Is the TV volume turned up?

Plugged into audio. Labeled audio on the TV with video next to it. Did not plug into video. On the TV menu I turned off tv speakers and turned on external speakers. Nothing. Tried it both ways though. Volume is up on receiver and tv. Tried it different ways though with tv sound down and only receiver volume up. And with Tv volume up.

Hmmm, it seems that the TV is just not putting audio out on those connectors, but it seems that you are doing it correctly from your description.

Are you sure those are audio outputs on the TV, and not video/audio inputs?

Quote:
Quote:
What type of wire would I use to try this?
You just need a cable with the stereo headphone plug on one end, and RCA-style plugs on the other to go into the receiver.

edit/add - crossposted: Yes, the cable adapter you posted will work by connecting to the cable you have plugged into the receiver now. Alternately, you can find a longer cable like that, with male RCA plugs, and go direct to te receiver. Slight advantage is you have one less connection in the set up.

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #34

Dawg, do you have a smartphone to take a photo of the connectors area in the back panel, to post it here? It might help others help you.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dawg, do you have a smartphone to take a photo of the connectors area in the back panel, to post it here? It might help others help you.
Good suggestion but it's so dark behind the tv I can barely read the labels on the tv even with a flash light. Doubt I could get a good pic. I'm going to get one of these cables I mentioned above. I'm thinking this may do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

My LG TV has only inputs in line level/RCA-plug format. The sound out is either HDMI-ARC (audio return channel), or an optical cable, which has to be activated using the TV's menu, using a feature called Simplink. Not sure if Simplink is an industry "standard" or unique to LG...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good suggestion but it's so dark behind the tv I can barely read the labels on the tv even with a flash light. Doubt I could get a good pic. I'm going to get one of these cables I mentioned above. I'm thinking this may do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
A link to the manual for that model would do it, they normally show the ins/outs clearly. But at this point, I'm betting that those audio connectors are inputs rather than outputs. That seems consistent with everything else so far. So using a headphone jack adapter cable is the correct route.

-ERD50
Old 10-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Best advice above. There are so many differences between models. For example, my Samsung LED Series 5000 has only digital audio optical out connection. If you have a headphone jack, remember that is matched to headphones. Other connections you may try are subject to failure.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because of issues like this when I got a new TV I went with a 5.1 surround system. HDMI cables make it plug and play.
The good part of the sound bar is it has a separate volume setting for the center speaker which is where most of the voice comes from so I can lower the background sound and boost the voice and watch TV without DW complaining about the volume.
IMHO, HDMI hook ups are the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #40

Update: I did get a Samsung TV and as suspected it lacks the ability to drive external speakers. I tried ERD50's miniamp idea but the problem is it had it's own remote control, one too obscure for a universal remote to match. I ended up running from the optical audio out to a name brand receiver a universal remote can match. The end result is to get the same functionality we had with the old TV we doubled the number of remotes (awkward) , and added an external amp (increased electricity use). Getting it all coordinated for viewing takes longer than a 1950s tube TV took to warm up. They tell me this is called progress.