tv audio out to speakers

Dawg, please allow me to jump in also, and ask a dumb question too. I seen your added comment from ERD about the mini amp. I was wondering if the mini amp can just be plugged into tv itself to just boost the output of the internal tv speakers themselves?

Dawg, please allow me to jump in also, and ask a dumb question too. I seen your added comment from ERD about the mini amp. I was wondering if the mini amp can just be plugged into tv itself to just boost the output of the internal tv speakers themselves?

Unlikely. That would require an audio line level output and a speaker level input directly to the internal speakers. I've never seen an input directly to the internal speakers on a TV.

And even if there was a speaker input, you can bet that the speakers aren't rated for very much higher power than the internal amp provides (that would be wasted $, and this is a very competitive market). So if you did hook up an external amp, you'd probably blow the speakers in very little time.

Also, the internal speakers are typically the weak link. For better sound you really want external speakers, and a larger amp to drive them.

-ERD50

Thanks ERD, and you already answered the follow up question too! I was just wanting to squeeze a tiny bit more "fullness and sound" without adding external speakers. Anything small speaker wise out there cheap on market that would sound modestly better than the standard flat tv speaker sound? TV speakers are not horrible just would like a modest "fullness increase" for the LV. I have my big screen downstairs is fully connected to my Bose stereo downstairs, but I do not like to go down there as often anymore.

I think you should first understand why the connection you had on the older TV does not work with the new TV.

1) Is the receiver actually working and switched to the red/white RCA cable (which input are the cables on, and which input is the receiver set to?)? Test this with another source, or just leave the cable end loose (TV end), turn the volume all the way down, then turn up the volume as you tap your finger on the center pin of each red/white cable tip. You should hear a buzz/hum as you do that. If no noise, you need to figure out why.

Cables are connected to TV Sound input on receiver and audio out on the TV. Leaving the cables loose and tapping the end and you can hear the tapping buzz sound through the external speakers.

2) Is the TV actually putting out audio on the connectors you plugged the cable into? Those might be inputs? They might be video out, rather than audio? There might be a setting on the TV menu to enable the audio output. Is the TV volume turned up?

Plugged into audio. Labeled audio on the TV with video next to it. Did not plug into video. On the TV menu I turned off tv speakers and turned on external speakers. Nothing. Tried it both ways though. Volume is up on receiver and tv. Tried it different ways though with tv sound down and only receiver volume up. And with Tv volume up.

Alternately, you might try hooking the receiver to the headphone jack on the TV (that's what I do, as my TV only has digital audio output, and the headphone jack is the only analog output).

What type of wire would I use to try this?

-ERD50

See above. BTW, my CD player connects to receiver so don't think receiver is shot.

My Yamaha sound bar which is hooked to my Samsung tv with an optical cable, has a "clear voice" feature which definitely helps to boost the voices frequencies.
But my DW still says I have the sound too loud....

I would go to AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews and "Search" on your particular Samsung model. It is probable that someone has had (or is having) the same issue. You will not find a more knowledgeable group of Audio/Visual people.

I didn't find my exact model but one reply on another TV indicated that the audio connectors are probably input only on the TV. This guy suggested the below to plug into the head phone jack. Maybe this is what ERD50 meant. Cheap enough item to try so may go get one later.

4 INCH Mini Jack 3.5mm Male Stereo Plug to 2 RCA Female Jack cable

... 2) Is the TV actually putting out audio on the connectors you plugged the cable into? Those might be inputs? They might be video out, rather than audio? There might be a setting on the TV menu to enable the audio output. Is the TV volume turned up?

Plugged into audio. Labeled audio on the TV with video next to it. Did not plug into video. On the TV menu I turned off tv speakers and turned on external speakers. Nothing. Tried it both ways though. Volume is up on receiver and tv. Tried it different ways though with tv sound down and only receiver volume up. And with Tv volume up.

Hmmm, it seems that the TV is just not putting audio out on those connectors, but it seems that you are doing it correctly from your description.

Are you sure those are audio outputs on the TV, and not video/audio inputs?

Alternately, you might try hooking the receiver to the headphone jack on the TV (that's what I do, as my TV only has digital audio output, and the headphone jack is the only analog output).

What type of wire would I use to try this?

You just need a cable with the stereo headphone plug on one end, and RCA-style plugs on the other to go into the receiver.

edit/add - crossposted: Yes, the cable adapter you posted will work by connecting to the cable you have plugged into the receiver now. Alternately, you can find a longer cable like that, with male RCA plugs, and go direct to te receiver. Slight advantage is you have one less connection in the set up.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Dawg, do you have a smartphone to take a photo of the connectors area in the back panel, to post it here? It might help others help you.

Dawg, do you have a smartphone to take a photo of the connectors area in the back panel, to post it here? It might help others help you.

Good suggestion but it's so dark behind the tv I can barely read the labels on the tv even with a flash light. Doubt I could get a good pic. I'm going to get one of these cables I mentioned above. I'm thinking this may do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My LG TV has only inputs in line level/RCA-plug format. The sound out is either HDMI-ARC (audio return channel), or an optical cable, which has to be activated using the TV's menu, using a feature called Simplink. Not sure if Simplink is an industry "standard" or unique to LG...

Good suggestion but it's so dark behind the tv I can barely read the labels on the tv even with a flash light. Doubt I could get a good pic. I'm going to get one of these cables I mentioned above. I'm thinking this may do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A link to the manual for that model would do it, they normally show the ins/outs clearly. But at this point, I'm betting that those audio connectors are inputs rather than outputs. That seems consistent with everything else so far. So using a headphone jack adapter cable is the correct route.

-ERD50

Best advice above. There are so many differences between models. For example, my Samsung LED Series 5000 has only digital audio optical out connection. If you have a headphone jack, remember that is matched to headphones. Other connections you may try are subject to failure.

Because of issues like this when I got a new TV I went with a 5.1 surround system. HDMI cables make it plug and play.
The good part of the sound bar is it has a separate volume setting for the center speaker which is where most of the voice comes from so I can lower the background sound and boost the voice and watch TV without DW complaining about the volume.
IMHO, HDMI hook ups are the best thing since sliced bread.

Update: I did get a Samsung TV and as suspected it lacks the ability to drive external speakers. I tried ERD50's miniamp idea but the problem is it had it's own remote control, one too obscure for a universal remote to match. I ended up running from the optical audio out to a name brand receiver a universal remote can match. The end result is to get the same functionality we had with the old TV we doubled the number of remotes (awkward) , and added an external amp (increased electricity use). Getting it all coordinated for viewing takes longer than a 1950s tube TV took to warm up. They tell me this is called progress.

Update: I did get a Samsung TV and as suspected it lacks the ability to drive external speakers. I tried ERD50's miniamp idea but the problem is it had it's own remote control, one too obscure for a universal remote to match. ...

Just FYI (I see you went with an alternate that works for you, but maybe for other people following this) - for our TV with a external amp through the headphone jack, we just use the TV remote for the volume, and leave the external amp set at a volume high enough to work with the TV range of volume. No need for a second remote.

I ended up running from the optical audio out to a name brand receiver a universal remote can match. The end result is to get the same functionality we had with the old TV we doubled the number of remotes (awkward) , and added an external amp (increased electricity use).

Again, I think most TVs have a menu setting that lets you choose a fixed volume output to the external device (and then you use the volume/remote on the external amp), or for a variable volume (use the TV volume remote).

Getting it all coordinated for viewing takes longer than a 1950s tube TV took to warm up. They tell me this is called progress.
:LOL: I've noticed this irony as well. We went from tunes warming up, to solid state 'instant on', to computer controlled everything and a boot-up process that is as long as the old tubes warming up.

I had actually turned off power to my HVAC after the A/C season was over (the smart thermostat uses 13 watts idle), and I just turned it back on for the heating season. Took several minutes to boot up and initialize, and the internal thermostat is way off until it really reaches a quiescent state. That 13 W generates some heat, and they apparently try to offset that in software, but it reads way cool until it has really warmed up. There is even a user programmable offset.

-ERD50

I don't see an RCA audio out jack in those instructions. To the right of the RCA jacks it says AV Input.

"Speaker Select
If you are listening to the sound track of a broadcast or movie
through an external receiver, you may hear a sound echo caused
by the difference in decoding speed between the TV’s speakers
and the speakers attached to your audio receiver. If this occurs, set
the TV to External Speaker.
✎ When you set Speaker Select to External Speaker, the
TV’s speakers are turned off. You will hear sound through the
external speakers only. When you set Speaker Select to TV
Speaker both the TV’s speakers and the external speakers
are on. You will hear sound through both.
✎ When Speaker Select is set to External Speaker, the
VOLUME and MUTE buttons will not operate and the sound
settings will be limited.
✎ If there is no video signal, both the TV’s speakers and the
external speakers will be mute."

Looks like external audio is on all the time at least.
So there should be something somewhere...

The headphone jack to RCA adapter cable should work fine.
It is also possible to get an optical to RCA converter box, though that will be pricier.

Yep, like Anamorph said, no analog audio out. Does your JVC receiver have an optical audio input? Sometimes referred to as Toslink. If it is a home theater receiver made in the last 10-12 years, odds are good it has optical audio in. If it doesn't have optical audio in, and stereo is good enough (assume it is since you were trying red/white RCA), this might work for $16.
Digital to Analog Audio Converter - Monoprice.com

Check the TV manual for the SPDIF instructions. You should be able to set the digital audio out to something like PCM stereo that will enable the cheap monoprice digital to analog converter to work.

Here's a diagram of the back of TV. Go to far right hand corner at the bottom of display and enlarge it. I looked for one of these at Walmart while I was out a few minutes ago. Didn't see the same adapter as I mentioned earlier. There is an electronic part store in town I will check out next week.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...100151197/J5000-ZA_BN68-07485A-00ENG-0429.pdf
Yours looks like mine. For sound out:
1) optical audio out
2) HDMI

No headphone jack or RCA inputs for audio. The horizontal row of jacks below the optical connection are all inputs.

An option is optical audio to rca converter. That will need to be powered.

Yep, like Anamorph said, no analog audio out. Does your JVC receiver have an optical audio input? Sometimes referred to as Toslink. If it is a home theater receiver made in the last 10-12 years, odds are good it has optical audio in. If it doesn't have optical audio in, and stereo is good enough (assume it is since you were trying red/white RCA), this might work for $16.
Digital to Analog Audio Converter - Monoprice.com

Check the TV manual for the SPDIF instructions. You should be able to set the digital audio out to something like PCM stereo that will enable the cheap monoprice digital to analog converter to work.

Actually the receiver does have an optical CD out. I tried hooking to this a couple of hours ago but got nothing originally as I had the receiver setting on TV sound when I should have had it set on CD. When I did this, I got sound through the external speakers. So now have pretty good sound, but have an extra remote to deal with regularly. The TV remote will not control the volume on external speakers.

Making progress though. ;)

Attachments

• j5000-inputs-back.jpg
    j5000-inputs-back.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 16
If your TV has Toslink (optical cable) you can get a digital to analog converter for about $30 from Amazon that will give you the red/white audio output. I use this setup on my PS4 to connect to my 40 year old stereo.

Back
Top Bottom