TX.. space heater sales in summer

Along those lines, I'm wearing a cardigan sweater today in my office here in New Orleans. Highs have been in the 90's this week. We can't open the windows and the thermostat is not available to any building occupants. Space heaters aren't permitted.

So, half the people here complain and the other half bring sweaters or coats.

My old company had separate heating and air units for different areas of the office. At certain times of the year, the heat would be on in one area and the a/c on in another. :p

My old office was in a 100 year old retrofitted building. The heat sometimes just could not keep up and heat the exterior offices, so we issued space heaters to just about everyone.

Would others then use fans to cool them off from the heaters that are warming up the people who are too cold from the AC? Another reason to invest in energy stocks?

Would others then use fans to cool them off from the heaters that are warming up the people who are too cold from the AC? Another reason to invest in energy stocks?
:2funny: And so much of this could be avoided if we could just open the (sealed) windows! It would be 90 degrees in here and pretty sticky, but we'd have a pleasant breeze to cool us off too.

My daughter always takes a sweatshirt to school (in TX). She says they keep the A/C on full blast to keep kids awake during class.

At my last job where I was CEO of an organization, about 1/2 the staff complained about the heat and the other half complained about the cold -- no matter what the thermostats were set at or what the weather was doing.

So, when we were remodeling the building -- including modernizing the entire HVAC system, we put in additional thermostats to better control the temps by zone and the resulting energy savings were most impressive.

But I did one other thing to preserve my own sanity. At the suggestion of the architect, I had the contractor install three additional thermostats in the cubicle area and told the staff that, while the larger more public areas of the building were under computer-control, they could adjust these thermostats for their personal preference. I noticed that several of the staff members would fiddle with these thermostats periodically and then would comment "how much better the temps were." Interestingly, complaints about "too hot/too cold" stopped entirely once they had the controls.

I never told them that these thermostats were dummies...they weren't connected in any way, shape or form to the HVAC system. When I left, I did tell my replacement about the dummy controls and swore her to the secret.

At my last job where I was CEO of an organization, about 1/2 the staff complained about the heat and the other half complained about the cold -- no matter what the thermostats were set at or what the weather was doing.

So, when we were remodeling the building -- including modernizing the entire HVAC system, we put in additional thermostats to better control the temps by zone and the resulting energy savings were most impressive.

But I did one other thing to preserve my own sanity. At the suggestion of the architect, I had the contractor install three additional thermostats in the cubicle area and told the staff that, while the larger more public areas of the building were under computer-control, they could adjust these thermostats for their personal preference. I noticed that several of the staff members would fiddle with these thermostats periodically and then would comment "how much better the temps were." Interestingly, complaints about "too hot/too cold" stopped entirely once they had the controls.

I never told them that these thermostats were dummies...they weren't connected in any way, shape or form to the HVAC system. When I left, I did tell my replacement about the dummy controls and swore her to the secret.

Yes... there are usually dummy thermostats around... but as you said, most people don't know...

BUT, it is true that there is a difference in how people feel... we had one woman who was 'going through the change' and was hot all the time... they had it down to 70 and she still complained... but at that temp... almost all the other women were turning blue...

NOTE... women for some reason feel 'colder' than men... most of the complaints we had were women were to cold, men were to hot... not everyone (see example above)... but generally...

My way to deal with the issue (when they had to work in the office) was to have the chilly ones bring in a heating pad and put under their feet. The warm ones used a small personal fan. They all tucked them away before going home.

First choice for all was to work from home and suit themselves temp & attire wise!

I always had an auxiliary overshirt. In the cleanroom, in full bunnysuit, you were usually steaming your safety glasses. But in the [-]cell[/-] cubicle, it would sometimes get too cool for [-]surfing er.org[/-] doing mission-critical spreadsheets and answering important emails...

Last edited:
I was one of those keeping a heater under my desk. It was always too cold in there.

A guy I used to work with says NASA uses the IR signature from my house as a navigational beacon.

I've lived in FL and AZ and learned never to leave home without a sweater. A sweater is the first thing I pack when we are headed to FL for vacation.

Back
Top Bottom