"Typical" ER forum member profile

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What would you say are typical ER forum member profile/attributes ?

I'll start by adding a few of my own thoughts;

1. Financial DIYer and more than a bit skeptical about the role/benefit of FAs.

2. Uses index funds for the majority of his/her investments.

3. Somewhere between the ages of 50-70 and debt free.

4. Dislikes annuities for various and sundry reasons.

5. Retired in their 50s.

6. Have analytical type personalities.

How far am I off and what else might you add ?

All would fit for me other than debt-free. We refinanced just prior to retiring and our investments have far exceeded the 3.375% interest that we pay on our mortgage since then.

An important addition would be LBYM/fiscally conservative.

All would fit for me other than debt-free. We refinanced just prior to retiring and our investments have far exceeded the 3.375% interest that we pay on our mortgage since then.

My thought too, so perhaps modify it to "substantially debt free" meaning if there is any debt it is small compared to NW and an amount larger than the debt is invested elsewhere at a higher rate of return than the interest on the debt.

Agreed, substantially debt free and LBYM are two I should have had in my first pass.

Extremely strong views on personal responsibility; also, on what to eat and not eat.

I have *never* seen people get so caught up in the molecular content of their food, as on this forum.

Amethyst

I agree with these characterizations and would add "Choose an asset allocation and 'stay the course' approach to market volatility"

Extremely strong views on ... what to eat and not eat.

I have *never* seen people get so caught up in the molecular content of their food, as on this forum.
:LOL:

That does appear to be the case but I'm of the opinion that particular trait is shared only by a highly vocal minority. Might be worth a poll to confirm if you're really curious...

I would add less likely to be worried about "keeping up with the Joneses" then the average person. Also, fairly self-confident and not as worried about what other people think of you.

I am going to modify the debt part...

If they have debt, it is due to the low interest rates that are available....

We just bought a car and I got 1.99% for 5 years... my mortgage is 3.125%... I do not plan on paying off either of these since I can probably get a higher return on my investments...

What would you say are typical ER forum member profile/attributes ?

I'll start by adding a few of my own thoughts;

1. Financial DIYer and more than a bit skeptical about the role/benefit of FAs.

5. Retired in their 50s.

How far am I off and what else might you add ?

Judging by the posts most of us tend to be very independent and have the ability to think outside the box. We don't just dream of independence, we make a plan to achieve it.

I know the typical age is 50+ but I think there is at least 5% <50 yrs. :D

Even though the majority here are DIY investors, I don't think item 2 holds. There is a wide variety of investment techniques and vehicles used by investors here to accomplish their goals.

4 of 7 here.

I'd suggest this addition...

As previous polls here have shown, we're almost all introverts. I've come to believe that makes a huge difference. The extroverts I know dread the idea of ER.

I'd suggest this addition...

As previous polls here have shown, we're almost all introverts. I've come to believe that makes a huge difference. The extroverts I know dread the idea of ER.
And you use the Myers-Briggs definitions which isn't necessarily what many people assume by the terms. An introvert will be happy knowing that they did something well and be satisfied with that. An extrovert needs other people to recognize the accomplishment.

I'm definitely an introvert. I only care about other people's noticing my accomplishment if it got me a benefit - raise, better assignments, etc.

1-4 and 6...

Also an introvert, don't know or care about the Joneses, and debt-free 'cept for the mortgage.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I agree with these characterizations and would add "Choose an asset allocation and 'stay the course' approach to market volatility"
In my view, this is a common but mostly likely minority view on this forum. My first impression of ER.org was that almost everybody was committed to a buy and hold with periodic rebalancing approach to investing. After seeing a couple of years worth of threads, I'm not so sure. It is startling how many posters seem to panic at the slightest hint of a downturn in the stock market. Add in the ones who have moved bonds into cash or shorter duration bonds because of fear of higher interest rates ahead and those who advocate things like PE10 based market timing, and I suspect buy and hold investors might shrink into a sub-50% plurality.

I think you can make a case for virtually all of the approaches I see on this forum, but I wouldn't characterize them as "stay the course".

I would agree to 5 of the 6 items as well as pb4uski's addition as long as I could make a few small adjustments to some of the items.

1. Financial DIYer and more than a bit skeptical about the role/benefit of paid FAs.

5. Retired in their 50s or younger.

7. An important addition would be LBYM[-][/fiscally conservative].[/-]

An introvert will be happy knowing that they did something well and be satisfied with that. An extrovert needs other people to recognize the accomplishment.

That introvert description certainly applies to me too. Introverts also find it easy to be motivated from within and entertain themselves -- crucial skills in ER. I always feel mentally engaged and am never bored.

And you use the Myers-Briggs definitions which isn't necessarily what many people assume by the terms.

One of the definitions that I appreciate is that the extroverts draw energy and recharge from other folks. The introverts recharge and energize from within, or a small group of people.

I am in line with all the attributes #1-4 and #6 and working on making #5 . I will not turn 60 and still working, repeat....

The general list is mainly true of us, assuming we meet our goal for calling it quits (or go less than three years later). One exception is indexing--at retirement, I'll have completed that shift. But, we began with no mutual funds at all apart from 401k accounts, and still have the majority of our assets in individual stocks. (no market timing though)

Similarly, a quibble with the annuity point. Never have bought one, but am looking at SPIA and, even more so, at deferred income annuities. Not investments, but simple risk transfer/insurance. Not sure if we will go that route for a portion of our assets or not.

Finally, don't know about this added criterion/characteristic:
That introvert description certainly applies to me too. Introverts also find it easy to be motivated from within and entertain themselves -- crucial skills in ER. I always feel mentally engaged and am never bored.

Fits DW to a certain extent, I guess? But depending upon mood, I am happy with a book, a task, or solo walk; Or, with introducing myself to strangers, striking up conversation and learning about their background and skills. Never done a Myer Briggs, but don't think I'd fall into the introvert category (and I definitely don't in common parlance).

Back
Top Bottom