Uncle Mick, epoxy stick?

Zero

Full time employment: Posting here.
Bet this brings back memories. A ride on the external tank, with up so many ... and down.

Awesome Ride, but I did not see Slim Pickens the whole time.

Thanks for posting. Awesome indeed.

-ERD50

Glad you guys liked it, actually, you two were 2 of about 6-8 I thought might enjoy.

I know from a post a while back that Uncle Mick built those tanks a long time ago.

Glad you guys liked it, actually, you two were 2 of about 6-8 I thought might enjoy.

I know from a post a while back that Uncle Mick built those tanks a long time ago.

I don't think I knew they actually recovered the Solid Rocket Booster. I'll have to read up on that. I'd imagine it would just be scrap metal, nothing re-useable is it? Maybe they don't want to be polluting the ocean with that, or giving away any secrets? Or maybe they just recover it to study it for stresses and such - that seems most likely now that I think of it.

-ERD50

I don't think I knew they actually recovered the Solid Rocket Booster. I'll have to read up on that. I'd imagine it would just be scrap metal, nothing re-useable is it? Maybe they don't want to be polluting the ocean with that, or giving away any secrets? Or maybe they just recover it to study it for stresses and such - that seems most likely now that I think of it.

-ERD50
Here ya go:

The spent SRBs were recovered from the ocean, refurbished, reloaded with propellant, and reused for several missions.
Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Absofrickinlootlyamazin' !!

I felt like I did when I was a kid and watching a Gemini splash down....

Absofrickinlootlyamazin' !!

I felt like I did when I was a kid and watching a Gemini splash down....
Hey, glad I posted something that got VACollector to post. Also had that feeling and almost expected some Jules Bergman commentary.

I watched this a few weeks ago, not sure where I got the link from. No matter, it's totally awesome, I think I've watched it 10 times.

The recoverable SRBs were one of the selling points for the shuttle all along. The main tank is not recoverable and pretty much burns up on re-entry.

Back
Top Bottom