Traveling with eBikes?

Hi mountainsoft,

You sound mechanically handy and willing to try a new hobby. Given the budget constraints and projected use case, might a DIY e-bike conversion might be up your alley? It's much easier to find decent used standard bicycles than e-bikes.

Check out this NY Times Wirecutter Article:
You Can Build an Ebike. Yes, You.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/build-ebike/

Something to consider!

I don't know where you got that idea, but I think you're in for a rude awakening.

I have seen quite a few decent ebikes under $1000, such as this one from ActBest (roughly $650 with shipping). It has good reviews, and I've seen a few videos on YouTube and the reviewers seem to like it.

https://www.amazon.com/ACTBEST-Core-Electric-Adults-Bikes/dp/B0CHJ689C4?th=1

We don't need anything fancy. We won't be mountain biking or commuting to work. We would just take occasional rides on mostly flat paved trails, like the "rails to trails" options. And ebike would just allow us to travel a bit further and manage minor hills with a little less effort. A step through design would be nice for us old farts, and a rack to carry a lunch or extra jacket would be nice.

The first ebikes we ever rode were $3500 Tern bikes. Yeah, they were nice, but I didn't think they handled as well as the ~$1000 bikes we rode next. The cheaper bikes did everything the expensive Tern bike did, at least for our limited needs.

Any bike over $1000 is simply not an option. Any more than having a shiny new Tesla sitting my driveway. It's just not gonna happen.

In any case, I'm just researching the idea. It might be more trouble and expense than it is worth. Another one of those rich people toys. I won't be getting a jet ski, boat, or RV either. :)

I have seen quite a few decent ebikes under $1000, such as this one from ActBest (roughly $650 with shipping). It has good reviews, and I've seen a few videos on YouTube and the reviewers seem to like it.

https://www.amazon.com/ACTBEST-Core-Electric-Adults-Bikes/dp/B0CHJ689C4?th=1

We don't need anything fancy. We won't be mountain biking or commuting to work. We would just take occasional rides on mostly flat paved trails, like the "rails to trails" options. And ebike would just allow us to travel a bit further and manage minor hills with a little less effort. A step through design would be nice for us old farts, and a rack to carry a lunch or extra jacket would be nice.

The first ebikes we ever rode were $3500 Tern bikes. Yeah, they were nice, but I didn't think they handled as well as the ~$1000 bikes we rode next. The cheaper bikes did everything the expensive Tern bike did, at least for our limited needs.

Any bike over $1000 is simply not an option. Any more than having a shiny new Tesla sitting my driveway. It's just not gonna happen.

In any case, I'm just researching the idea. It might be more trouble and expense than it is worth. Another one of those rich people toys. I won't be getting a jet ski, boat, or RV either. :)

I have no idea how the bike will hold up long term but on-paper it seems like a good value. The battery is a little smaller than I would want but 13AH is enough for most people. The motor is the standard 500W. Battery is removable for easier charging. It has a rack so you can bring a bag to put food and/or clothes or whatever else you want. Seems like it could work well for you. Best of luck

I wouldn't recommend a folding ebike unless you're only going to use it for very short trips.

A folding ebike sounds like a good idea, but in our case the trunk and backseat of our car would already be taken up with luggage and whatnot. There wouldn't be any place to stow a couple of ebikes and their associated gear.

Having said that, we rented folding bikes once and didn't notice any difference in the way they behaved on the trail.

I have no idea how the bike will hold up long term but on-paper it seems like a good value. The battery is a little smaller than I would want but 13AH is enough for most people. The motor is the standard 500W. Battery is removable for easier charging. It has a rack so you can bring a bag to put food and/or clothes or whatever else you want. Seems like it could work well for you. Best of luck

I'm still debating... By the time we buy helmets, a bike rack, locks, etc., we would probably be looking over $2000 total even with bargain bikes. We would also need to figure out where to store them, maintain and repair them, remember to charge them, and the hassles of securing and transporting (can I lift a 60 pound bike on a bike rack, and can the little 1.25" hitch on my Jetta even support 120 pounds of bikes?).

That same $2000 would pay for a lot of ebike rentals (usually around $100/day per bike). And the bikes are probably higher quality than we could afford to buy. No maintenance, no storage, no charging, no transporting. As much as I would like to own our bikes, I'm not sure we would use them enough to justify the cost of ownership.

I also doubt we would ride bikes here at home. We live on a steep mountain road, and I don't think any bike in our budget would be able to climb the hill even with pedal assist. While the idea of riding 7 miles to town for a couple of groceries sounds nice, our roads are narrow with no shoulders and people drive way too fast and crazy for that to be a safe option. Being passed by a loaded dump truck and trailer from the local gravel pit sounds terrifying. It's scary enough in our cars. So transporting bikes to other locations would be our only realistic use case.

I think I'm talking myself out of buying ebikes. My typical analysis paralysis. :)

I'm still debating... By the time we buy helmets, a bike rack, locks, etc., we would probably be looking over $2000 total even with bargain bikes. We would also need to figure out where to store them, maintain and repair them, remember to charge them, and the hassles of securing and transporting (can I lift a 60 pound bike on a bike rack, and can the little 1.25" hitch on my Jetta even support 120 pounds of bikes?).

That same $2000 would pay for a lot of ebike rentals (usually around $100/day per bike). And the bikes are probably higher quality than we could afford to buy. No maintenance, no storage, no charging, no transporting. As much as I would like to own our bikes, I'm not sure we would use them enough to justify the cost of ownership.

I also doubt we would ride bikes here at home. We live on a steep mountain road, and I don't think any bike in our budget would be able to climb the hill even with pedal assist. While the idea of riding 7 miles to town for a couple of groceries sounds nice, our roads are narrow with no shoulders and people drive way too fast and crazy for that to be a safe option. Being passed by a loaded dump truck and trailer from the local gravel pit sounds terrifying. It's scary enough in our cars. So transporting bikes to other locations would be our only realistic use case.

I think I'm talking myself out of buying ebikes. My typical analysis paralysis. :)
You are discovering what marketers already know. Dedicated cyclists are a prized demographic for dropping loads of cash. More than other sports like golf and such.

Over the years when I have traveled with a recumbent trike and stopped at a motel I would take it into the room. Most times I would have to turn the trike sideways to get it through the door. If I had to use a small elevator I would have to pivot the trike vertical on 2 wheels with the single wheel facing upward. You can do the same thing with a bicycle. I would never leave it outside.

Cheers!

I ride my e-Trike a lot and have learned a few things. I carry tools for common adjustments and to tighten anything that gets lose. I carry a small electric pump. I have batteries to recharge the lights. I put sealant in the tires. I had a lot of flats from thorns. I have tire changing tools and spare tubes. It's work to change fat tires but I'm good at it after many times. My tire irons are foot long and steel.

Back
Top Bottom