Unique fitness blog

windsurf

Recycles dryer sheets
Arthur De Vany is a recently retired economist/mathematician (UC Irvine) who is working on a book that will apply evolutionary science to fitness and nutrition.  He is an accomplished athlete and looks amazing for his 67 or so years.  He is now publishing a Blog at arthurdevany.com that is, in my estimation, incredibly interesting.  He is opinionated and not at all modest but he is brilliant and is applying his intelligence and apparently huge energy stores to the aforementioned project which is chronicled in his blog.  A couple of days ago, he posted a PDF file of his seminal essay on evolutionary fitness. (the premise is that we are only 10k years into the agricultural epoch, a couple of centuries into the heavy industrial age and a couple of decades into the electronic age.  We did not evelove in tune with these conditions but rather as hunter/gatherers.  The evolutionary record indicates greater bone density, height and robustness of paleo ancestors compared to average post agriculture measurements.)  If you are interested in this, I would suggest first reading his esssay so you have a context for his blog entries.  He is a hell of a specimen for a retired dude. 

Nords said:
Yeah, but so was Roy Walford.

But Walford was a toothpick of a guy who practiced severe calorie restriction; nothing like De Vaney's approach.   Reportedly, Art eats like a horse but in an intermittent manner.  For me, the appeal is the application of evolutionary theory to a usually mundane area. His discussion of inuslin resistance and type 2 diabetes is really on point for our era of cheap, refined carbs.  This ain't no South Peach Diet approach. 

Back
Top Bottom