Upside Down House-Car Ratio

Anyone who isn't convinced, go to some speed-dating events. First represent yourself as a doctor. Then go as a call center worker. Compare how many of your speed-partners want to see you again under each condition.
This sounds as if it might be based on a real-life experience. :)

Since dating has now been brought into the equation, what kind of speed-dater will have the best success with someone who is leasing a car that is worth 40-50% of his/her home's worth? :LOL:

A.

I
Anyone who isn't convinced, go to some speed-dating events. First represent yourself as a doctor. Then go as a call center worker. Compare how many of your speed-partners want to see you again under each condition.

The townhouse development where we have our rental unit, has 3 sections, each about 50 units. We own in the cheapest section, where values run $250-$290K (in our region, that's a middle class townhouse). None of the units in our section have garages; instead, they form a square around a parking lot, so we see what all the residents drive. Frankly, our older, inexpensive little car sticks out like a sore thumb. Last week, when we spent a lot of time working on the townhouse, I counted:

• Two newer BMW 7-series sedans
  • 3 smaller Beemers (3 and 5 series)
  • 4 Mercedes Benz sedans: 3 mid-range, one very large
  • Cadillac Escalade SUV
  • Late model Corvette
  • Not to mention newer Infinitis and Acuras, which cost close to $40K.
  • Yes there are middle-class cars and SUVs too: Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais.
Does it seem odd to anybody else that people in middle to lower-end housing would own so many high-end cars? Cars which are not only expensive to buy, but expensive to maintain.
Amethyst

Americans are famous for living above their means and buying everything on credit. Luxury-car fever is common in the USA. Times are changing. Those who are "upsidedown" in the mortgages will just have to keep paying for and living in their devaled dwellings until prices go back up again. Eventually inflation will ease their debt. They will also soon learn how to appreciate cheaper, smaller cars.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a good friend who lived in a tiny one room apartment and drove a Jag. She didn't mind scrimping on housing as long as she had her trophy car.

Since dating has now been brought into the equation, what kind of speed-dater will have the best success with someone who is leasing a car that is worth 40-50% of his/her home's worth? :LOL:

It would depend on the crowd. In this crowd they'd generally be laughed out of the room.

Me, with my 9-year-old pickup truck, might have a chance.:dance:

A.

I get the feeling if it weren't taboo, everyone would be asking for the potential date's net worth.

I get the feeling if it weren't taboo, everyone would be asking for the potential date's net worth.

I guess that kind of info (as well as criminal record) is now big business on the internet. In the "good old days" we got to know folks the old fashioned way: Asking around.;)

Well, here in ER Land, it's "No shirt, no shoes, no problem!"

Half the people posting on the forum probably aren't even wearing pants. :rolleyes: *

* If anyone cares, I am fully dressed (and you should be too, shame on you! :LOL:) I'm wearing black Adidas gym shorts, the usual two underwear items, a brown striped t-shirt, Thorlo socks and my trusty New Balance shoes... having just come from the gym...

Last edited:
Half the people posting on the forum probably aren't even wearing pants. :rolleyes: *

First thing I did when I got my 'puter was to place masking tape over the camera port. Call me paranoid, but... Just sayin'.

Many of these cars are first leased for a couple years and then sold on the used market.
Perhaps some of the cars were purchased used.

First thing I did when I got my 'puter was to place masking tape over the camera port. Call me paranoid, but... Just sayin'.

Not a bad idea, considering that there are viruses that take control of the victim's computer Webcam.

See this, for example.

On the other hand, what do retired naked geezers and geezerettes care? Let the hackers who expect to catch a glimpse of young chicks take a peek. They are going to go blind, or get devoid of sexual desire for a while. That will teach them!

Last edited:
Now I am convinced that the neighbors have probably thought things through and decided to lease:

Lease vs Buy? Car Leasing versus Buying Explained

Perhaps it isn't what we'd do, but it's not at all impractical.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Amethyst
Very interesting article, Amethyst. It also makes clear how in some ways buying an off lease or 2-3 yo car is the opposite of leasing a new car.

Ha

* If anyone cares, I am fully dressed (and you should be too, shame on you! :LOL:) I'm wearing black Adidas gym shorts, the usual two underwear items, a brown striped t-shirt, Thorlo socks and my trusty New Balance shoes... having just come from the gym...

img_1134849_0_a6d34988e97f411e8d83dd0dac718967.jpg

Back
Top Bottom