Used to be Free... no more

(On the side: Libraries are kinda obsoleted by, among other things, the Internet aren't they? I haven't been in one for about ten years). Prior to that it was at least weekly.)

I just returned 23 books to the library last week and took out 25 more. I love reading to my 4 year old granddaughter and her reading to me. Love the Step into Reading type of books!

I'm not really seeing a lot of truly free things that cost something now. Maybe because I'm a youngin?

Free air - No need for me. I bought a $6 portable 12v DC air compressor and a $1 air gauge to top off the tires to the specified PSI as needed. It also is available everywhere my car is because I keep it in the trunk. Obviously this obviates the need for free air.

Free diagnostics - I see signs on shops that offer this, but I'll bet you a shiny nickel they find something that needs fixing that they are also running a special on. :) My Honda dealer does the free 35 point courtesy inspection with their $30 oil change or any service really. They always find something critically wrong with the car that they can fix for $100-200 and do it quickly. 90% of the time, after I research the issue, I determine the repair isn't needed and their recommendation is borderline fraud. But they are cheaper than the local mechanic that is slightly more trustworthy, as long as you don't fall for the revenue enhancer services they tell you that you critically need. "Free" is expensive sometimes.

I do continue to get great free service at Discount Tires (America's Tires in some regions apparently). Free rotations and balance and flat repair and air refills for the life of the tires if you pay them to install your tires. That one has actually saved me money over the years. But they try to up sell about half the time I bring the cars in for a rotation and balance. It is always something - warped wheel, (barely perceptible) uneven wear, special on tires this week only, we can't rotate because they are worn too much, etc. Usually I can talk them down and still get the "free" service that was part of the inducement for me to continue patronizing their business year after year. It is obvious that they offer the free service to keep you loyal and to bring you in for a valuable customer interaction in store with serious information asymmetry for almost all customers. I mean how can you NOT spend $400 on a new tire and wheel for your wife's minivan when they tell you how bad the condition is on one tire and that if it failed your wife will indubitably crash and burn and die with all your kids in the van? :) Sometimes they are right, but you have to know when they are just trying to convert a free visit to a sale.

Libraries are great, and ours keeps getting better. They just remodeled ours in the neighborhood (grand opening this weekend!), they just upgraded the online reservation system to make it more e-commercy (with a shopping cart feature). Online e-books check out is available. Tons of fast computers and free wifi. Free kids programs.

I have also noticed a trend lately of businesses sending out totally free coupons. In the last week we received a $10 free coupon to a department store, totally free meal for one to a national chain buffet restaurant, 3 coupons totaling $30 off of $30.03 in purchases at a big box hardware store, and 2 free food items from a fast food restaurant (although they were from something purchased). I'm not even sure I'll use all these free things.

Last edited:
I'm always irked by the ads that say "No interest til (fill in date 1-3 yrs DTR)". around here, usually furniture stores, but seeing it for some others.

I would never go to one of these places. if you're giving me a big-ticket item, on credit, "interest-free", for 3 yrs, the interest is built into the price

(looks at the Home Depot banner at the top of this page)

even complaining about how nothing is free anymore doesn't come free...

When I was (much) younger and needed such advice, everyone always said that to start negotiating the price of an automobile one should make sure they knew you would being paying cash. I am not sure how that helped (and didn't then either) but it was accepted "wisdom" by everyone. I am sure those folks would fall all over a no interest for x months deal... and they are Legion.

As far as I know, a glass of water at a restaurant is still free. At least for now.

I went to a local restaurant a couple of years ago and few of us ordered water with our meal. Out comes bottled water and we told them hell no, bring tea or something if we have to buy a drink. Needless to say that was my last visit there. Must have angered other customers too as they are no longer in business.

I went to a local restaurant a couple of years ago and few of us ordered water with our meal. Out comes bottled water and we told them hell no, bring tea or something if we have to buy a drink. Needless to say that was my last visit there. Must have angered other customers too as they are no longer in business.

Lately it seems like when we order water we are hearing "Bottled or tap?" a lot more often. At least they ask.

I drink [-]wine[/-] water with most restaurant meals, because I rarely drink soda anymore. Since most bottled water is tap water from somewhere, don't care about that much, although, based on taste, some places fill your glass from the garden hose...

Have a filtered water outlet on my fridge, so no bottled water at home either.

Free legal consult... The 3 minute conversation "Here's my problem, can you help?" Now has a minimum $200 fee.

You need to shop a little. We've needed legal consultations twice in the last year, and got them both for $40 for up to one hour. I still have 20 min. credit on one of them.

The third tire FREE, is based on full price, which is 25% higher than the normal every day sale price.

:confused: Third tire for the sidecar on your Harley? :rolleyes:

- 411.com still gives out free phone and reverse phone information, but I'm sure if the info is private/unlisted, you'll need to pay for it.

That won't help. There's an extra charge for unlisted numbers for that very reason.

Registering for the "Do not Call" list is still free, AFAIK (albeit not applicable to some of the most annoying - like politicians & pollsters).

Back
Top Bottom