Value of a used Weber grill?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thinking of selling my 6 year old Weber gas grill. Its the smaller basic 2 burner model. Still in good shape, just replaced the flavor bars, gets to 600F no problem. No major rust or leaks. Includes the cover. What would you list this for on Craigslist?

Lots of them for sale on our Craigslist - looks like maybe $200-300? Depends on model, condition and what people in your market are selling them for.

I sold a Weber Genesis 1000 (purchased new in 1998, but maintained and always covered) on Craigslist this month. It was my idea of a "classic grill", like your Dad would have for backyard barbeques, black, three burners, flavorizers.

I listed it at $50 and it was snapped up in one day, lots of inquiries but I told all who replied that I would save us both some time by mentioning I was firm on the price. I wasn't running an auction or garage sale - that weeded out the window shoppers.

Lots of them for sale on our Craigslist - looks like maybe $200-300? Depends on model, condition and what people in your market are selling them for.

That would be a lot more than I would pay for a 6 year old one, I've seen a new 2 burner Weber (E210) on sale at the local HD for $320.

My brother is a BBQ snob as I put it, and a die hard Weber fan, needs one at home, the cabin , and anywhere he BBQ's. He bought a used one last year that needed new flavor bars and serious cleaning. I think he paid $150

Wow.... looked on Craigslist and some people have serious issues...

One wanted $550 for one that goes for $700 new, but it looks like it has been heavily used...

IMO, a use grill is only worth half the original price even if it looks almost new... too many things could have gone wrong and you have no warranty....

Wow.... looked on Craigslist and some people have serious issues...

One wanted $550 for one that goes for $700 new, but it looks like it has been heavily used...

Now let's bring on the Propane vs Mesquite charcoal debate :LOL:

Hard to believe that someone will pay substantial money for an old used gas grill. When you get down to it, gas grills are very generic. Sure, a Weber may last a little longer, but their burners eventually burn out like the cheaper grills.

I once got a nice stainless steel (China built) gas grill at Sam's Club, and it had cast iron burners. I think I got 20 years out of that grill before it bit the dust.

But when it comes to grills, every real barbeque cook has to have a Weber 22 1/2" charcoal grill, a gas grill AND a smoker of some kind. When it comes to smokers, I'm still partial to the UDS--Ugly Damn Smoker--made out of 55 gallon food grade drums. Old Weber round grill parts also are great to make'em with.

Now let's bring on the Propane vs Mesquite charcoal debate :LOL:

You mean REAL wood don't you.... charcoal just does not cut it!!!

(to be fair, I use propane for all of my cooking.... and also do brisket and ribs in my grill and they come out just fine).... but do put wood chips in to get the flavor...

You mean REAL wood don't you.... charcoal just does not cut it!!!

(to be fair, I use propane for all of my cooking.... and also do brisket and ribs in my grill and they come out just fine).... but do put wood chips in to get the flavor...

Look's like my BBQ impostor cover has been blown :facepalm:

Son and I both have Weber grills that are at least 15 years old. Just replaced flavor bars and burners and would do that again... We use propane.

How does using propane for all of your cooking make you more "fair?"

I think in this context it is meant as 'full disclosure' on his method.

As long as it tastes good, I could care less on the methodology.:D

returning to OP's question.......

I looked on Craig's List this morning. Lotsa Weber grills offered. Lotsa variation in price and condition. It seemed to vary from a fairly new grill in nice, clean condition at a bargain price to a POS that needed burners, flavorizer bars, grills and paint for nearly new price. So, no consistent evidence there. If you want to get your Weber sold and out of the way, price it at what you would consider a bargain and if it doesn't move very quickly reduce that price. It's not worth the effort of a full blown sales campaign for an extra $25 - $50.

Note: Craig's List in Chicago is near useless. Popular items at reasonable prices are always sold quickly, usually before you can make contact with the vendor unless you sit looking for things to pop up all day. Most stuff is dramatically overpriced and often sold by vendors that picked it up at a garage sale, etc., and can't tell you if it works now or ever did. I've sold lots of stuff on Craig's List but almost always good stuff that I price low and it's generally gone within hours (or I move it to the "free" section). If it's crap, I just put it in the garbage.

Last edited:
How does using propane for all of your cooking make you more "fair?"

I was making fun of charcoal with my wood comment.... and then saying that I use propane.... as mentioned... full disclosure....

They can be used either way with a change of orifice.

My weber is lp.

I'm putting new flavor bars in ($40) and maybe list it at $140.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom