Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I thought US olympic efforts were tax exempt but funded by sponsors and private contributions.
My tax dollars are Canadian. Over the past 5 years taxpayers have put $115 million into the "Own the Podium" program to support our elite athletes. And they have done us proud!

My understanding is that the US Government does not fund Olympic athletes, but that the US Olympic Committee has a contract with the IOC that guarantees them 12.5 % of all US broadcast revenues. That's a lot of money.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you don't think most of the athletes have an ego this big then you are dreaming...

The one thing I can say about him (and I did not know him from Adam until this show) is that he won every competition he entered between 2000 and 2007 except one... (per the TV)... I don't think many people can make that kind of claim... so his ego was backed up most of the time...
That doesn't make him any less a pompous ass and a poor sport to boot. :gag:
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

As a connoisseur of figure skating falls (I know, I'm a bad person), I have to give a gold medal to Tugba Karademir for perfectly timing her fall with the music. It happens at 1:31 into the video:

Video | Ladies' FS: Tugba Karademir (TUR) | NBC Olympics
Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I hate to see these women fall, especially one who is this pretty . But she did hit it right on the cymbal crash.

Ha
Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Men's Gold Medal hockey game today...GO USA!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombone Al View Post
Wouldn't it make sense, and I know this is a radical idea, if each team had consistent uniforms that were the color of their country's flags?

The US uniforms are sometimes light green, sometimes red, sometimes dark blue and light blue, sometimes red, and sometimes farmer plaid. It sure would be easier to identify the competitors from one event to the next.
I have been enjoying the Olympics in spite of the many things that are wrong such as idiot announcers and TV programming issues (could do a whole thread here). Nice to have the international competition and it couldn't have been in a better place.

However, the ridiculousness of the uniforms, particularly the US uniforms is beyond words. I truly think that some khakis at the army navy store with a USA flag patch on the shoulder would look better. The USA uniforms make our athletes look like they just rolled out of bed in kids pajamas! I am sure they paid some designer a king's ransom to come up with these bad acid trips in cloth.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Oh well. I'm just glad it didn't end in a shootout, but instead ended by what resembles real hockey.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Canada just defeated the USA in sudden death overtime, 3-2.

Congratulations to the Gold Medal winners, Team Canada !
Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Canada just defeated the USA in sudden death overtime, 3-2.

Congratulations to the Gold Medal winners, Team Canada !
The kid came thru. Hope those folks that paid $10k for good seats got their $ worth...probably did. Great game.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

How fitting! Their game, their turf, end of the Olympics - Thinking its going to be crazy happy time in Vancouver tonight. Outstanding!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Canada!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Go Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
How fitting! Their game, their turf, end of the Olympics - Thinking its going to be crazy happy time in Vancouver tonight. Outstanding!
I'm an American, but I agree with you....the Gold was deserved by the Canadians in Hockey today. Good job!
Coloradoblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Way to go Team Canada!

Congrats as well to Team USA for playing a great game and for making us earn the Gold!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to the Estonians for winning the medal count!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, I believe your congratulations may be misplaced. These medal counts do not match the 2010 Winter Olympics.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/

Edit: OK, Estonia did win one medal in Vancouver - but are they still the per capita champs?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to the US for winning the total medal count and giving us some spectacular entertainment!

And may I proudly say congratulations to Canada for winning the gold medal count (a record 14 for any country in the winter games, ever!)

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got about ten hours of Olympic programming on my PVR and cannot bring myself to delete it... it has been a magic two weeks in my city.

Admittedly, I was an Olympic skeptic - I thought the only legacy of the games would be a massive bill and a subsequent hike in taxes to pay for it. Not sure how it came across to those outside of Vancouver and Canada, but the outpouring of pride and patriotism surprised many people... myself included.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Congratulations to the US for winning the total medal count and giving us some spectacular entertainment!

And may I proudly say congratulations to Canada for winning the gold medal count (a record 14 for any country in the winter games, ever!)
It's hard to say definitively who the biggest "winner" was in these games.

In terms of total medals, the U.S. "won".

In terms of the number of gold medals, Canada "won".

The bottom line is that collectively, North America kicked serious butt to a level never seen in the Winter Games before.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The Olympics should be like jury duty. One month before the games, random people get notices about what event they will be competing in.
Congratulations, you will be competing in the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in the sport of Freestyle Skiing Aerials! You have one month to train. Good luck!
I wonder how well the US would do in that situation.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The Olympics should be like jury duty. One month before the games, random people get notices about what event they will be competing in.
Congratulations, you will be competing in the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in the sport of Freestyle Skiing Aerials! You have one month to train. Good luck!
I wonder how well the US would do in that situation.
We already have people in stealth training for freestyle aerials.
Trebuchet.com
Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We already have people in stealth training for freestyle aerials.
Trebuchet.com
Those Canadians may have us beat on skates, but we'll take a seat to no-one in hurling people! (Buahahaha)