Join Early Retirement Today

Re: VOIP
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello CFB:

I didn't know they had a new Gizmo -just looked on the SunRocket website to see what it looks like.* I have the old model, and I called SunRocket a few minutes ago and asked if I could exchange it for the newer one.* You're right - I can't unless my old one is totally dysfunctional or has a serious problem, which it doesn't.*

Oh, btw, I didn't know what "toejam football" was.* Googled it, and now I know the answer - Warning - Gross!:* *

What the hell is toejam, anyway? --Goofy Gholson, west suburbs, Chicago

Dear Goofy:

The grotty stuff that collects between your toes, of course. A "toejam football" is the disgusting ellipsoid that forms when you rub it with your finger. What Freudian significance it had for the Beatles (cf "Come Together") I'd just as soon not know.

--CECIL ADAMS

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/aerosmi..._20004337.html

Bummer on the gizmo, those old ones definitely have some known issues they havent been able to work out.

Wait a month or two, then when you wont need your phone for a week or so, put the gizmo in the microwave. About 60 seconds on "high" oughta do it. It'll look absolutely fine, no damage, but it probably wont work anymore for some reason

We used to have a guy a few cubes over from me that used to like to conduct personal business on the speakerphone at full volume and yell back at the people on it.

For some reason his speakerphone kept becoming defective. After a while the building people wouldnt give him another one. He suspected some sort of conspiracy but he thought "the cleaning people" were doing something to it.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just fyi folks:

The latest fraud trend surrounding Phishing involves Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone systems that aid criminals in the capture of cardholder data.

The low cost of VoIP lines and relative ease with which they are obtained have led Phishers to quickly adopt this evolving technology.

How does this scam work?

Once a VoIP line has been established it allows communication to flow freely from any land or internet-based telephone line. The Phishers set up an automated phone center environment which can easily be obtained as an "off the shelf" voicemail system that integrates with any computer. The next step is to simply send out phishing emails directing the consumer to dial the VoIP telephone number instead of going to a website to update their personal information. Once the consumer dials into the fraudulent phone number they are directed to enter their personal information including card number, PIN, CVV2 code, etc. This latest social engineering technique penetrates an already established comfort zone with most consumers. Automated phone systems have been commonplace for the last ten years and consumers are accustomed to dealing with them. This is the Phishers latest attempt to circumvent the warnings about clicking on emails and entering personal information into a website.

Preparing the best defense

Only use card PINs for ATM and POS transactions. By using them for online banking or phone banking, you are socially engineering your customers to be susceptible to phishing scams which will no doubt continue to morph over time.

Do not respond to any email that directs you to update your personal information by dialing a telephone number. Only use the customer service number on the back of your card.

If you receive a phishing email that references a telephone number that you suspect to be related to a VoIP scam please report the number to your local federal law enforcement agency. Most agencies now have cyber threat units that are well-versed in investigating these claims.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been on Vonage for about a year. We had Cable for Internet and the system worked great. Clear calls and lots of features. If the phone is down, as it is now because we are moving and it is unpluged, the phone automaticaly forwards to my wifes cell. We pay $16 a month for 500 outbound (local or long dist)min and unlimited inbound. 911 calls go to where we have registered it. When we move the phone number will follow. This is good because it will give us a local Houston number living outside of Houston. Going to try VOIP over satelite, don't expect it to work well, but may work as a backup.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're going to try it with Directway, it definitely wont work. The turnaround times on the satellite are WAY too big for voice. What you'll get is broken gargling voices with 1-3 second delays between when you start talking and the other person hears the funny noise.

Oh yeah, i forgot. One of the biggest problems with the old sunrocket gizmo is that it frequently decides to allocate half of your ISP bandwidth to implement "quality of service", which is swell when you're on the phone and not using the computer, but not so good when you're on the computer and not using the phone.

Disconnect your gizmo and see how fast your connection is by using a speed test like those at DSLREPORTS. Then put it back and see what the speed looks like.

Another good site for looking at whether voip will work on your ISP and for troubleshooting problems is www.testyourvoip.com Sunrocket tries to get you to use a site called "internet frog", which is so overloaded that the server cant service all of the requests and therefore it gives erroneous results that your ISP is too slow to respond. That works out well for sunrocket, as every customer problem always turns out to be a "bad ISP".

Good luck trying to explain this to the customer service rep and getting them to look at the results from other test sites that show that your ISP is fine.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote