Voting while in the Military

hakuna matata

Recycles dryer sheets
So my daughter married someone who is stationed in Hawaii--and she now lives there (since June of this year). Today her ballot came in the mail addressed to her here at this address.

Is she a resident here in Washington State or a resident of Hawaii for voting purposes?

When your spouse is in the military, how is residency determined for the one NOT in the military? They both were originally from Washington State and he enlisted while here in Washington State. I looked a little online but it was very confusing, it sounds like his Home or Record (HOR) is here since this is where he enlisted, and that might be different from his State of Legal Residence (SLR) but that doesn't sound like it apples until you leave the military.

All in all--a very confusing state of affairs. I had hoped to tell my daughter a simple answer but it appears it is more confusing than I had originally thought.

Anyone here have an answer or can direct me to where I might find said answer?
progress.gif

When I was in the service, I had the choice. Vote in the state I was stationed, vote absentee from the state I was a resident, or vote in the state I enlisted from.

Or all three.

The spouse can now take the same state as the service member clams, or their original home when she/they moved. This rule changed about 5 or so years ago.

The service member will vote (and perhaps pay state income taxes) in the state that they claim as their residence (and is reflected on the LES).

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Last edited:
If your daughter has done nothing to change her state of residence, then I would say she can still vote, albeit absentee, in Washington State.

She would need to register for an absentee ballot, however.

Your son-in-law should have access to the unit voting assistance rep, who should be able to spell all of this out.

Back
Top Bottom