Wakeup call

robert

Dryer sheet aficionado
The following is an e-mail message I just received at work. I see many similar messages. I've highlighted the portion that I believe is relevant to those struggling with the question of whether they should work a few more years to accumulate a little larger nest egg. Just something to think about:

Dear Colleagues:

I am so saddened to pass on that John ______, former PAO for Alaska District, passed away yesterday morning of a massive heart attack. As the true professional John was, he always pushed us to do better and look to the outside for how others were communicating. He was a true gentleman and loved a good laugh. John was the PAO in Alaska for 18 years and just retired April lst. A memorial service is planned for Wednesday afternoon in Alaska.

Money can be made, money can be saved, but our days are numbered and can never be replaced. Wasted time is gone forever.

Robert,

Read a few messages on the board today that's going to help me get over my fear of bailing out of work.

Was it Roosevelt who said  "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

A lot of doses of realty, someboby must be trying to tell me something.

Robert,

You just hit on a big fear of mine.  After the day I had today, I am wondering if I can make it to early retirement in 08/06.  Money is definitely not everything, but it would sure help me to be able to travel.   :D

Dreamer

73ss454 said:
Was it Roosevelt who said  "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"
I looked it up. It was FDR's first inaugural address in March 1933:

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory."

ER was the last thing on his mind, and we all know how that turned out...

Here's a quote I enjoy:

"There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second."
                                                                            Logan Pearsall Smith

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Robert,

I have seen this same kind of announcement over and over. Even worse, I have lived through it with my late wife. After 34 years with the same company, she retired but died only 7 months into it. She did RE at 56 but all she got was 7 months of it before a sudden and fatal illness that took her in less than 24 hours.

None of us know the day or the hour of our death. We don't need to dwell on that fact but at least be aware of it. The time we have should be spent carefully and thoughtfully. You never know when the will be the last time you say Hi to someone or see them go out the door. You never know the last time you will hug your spouse or child or parent. You never know the last time you will tell someone you love them. Don't waste these moments. You have no idea when they will be your last.

I have spent many many hours on various support sites dealing with loss and grief and I have heard the stories of hundreds of people who have experienced the loss of a spouse or child; many suddenly and without warning. The last thing that was said to them was truly the last thing with no chance to change it, take it away or add to it.

This is not to be taken in a negative way rather in a manner that will remind you to do what is important to you and your family. Don't put off the important stuff like saying how much you love your spouse or kids or parents. Don't put off doing good stuff for yourself and your family and friends. Be the friend you would like others to be to you. Live life and "go for the gusto."

Live today as if you are not promised tomorrow.....because you're not.

Steve,

We've heard the sentiment before, but you have said it so eloquently I have chills.  Thank you for the heartfelt reminder.

Back
Top Bottom