Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also, don't forget that there are alternatives to ladder usage:

The Martin Jetpack - Martin Aircraft Company || The Martin Jetpack

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have spent more nights than I care to remember in Operating Rooms putting guys back together who fell off ladders .Spend the money !
Hey, some of those broken-up guys were probably ones who were paid the money.

Gravity: an equal opportunity force of nature.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

This thread amazes me. What kind of priorities and attitudes could it take for a middle aged, well off guy to risk himslef on a ladder to save $100?

Try to find a women who would clean gutters to save $100!

Ha
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This thread amazes me. What kind of priorities and attitudes could it take for a middle aged, well off guy to risk himslef on a ladder to save $100?

Ha

Well, it is not just $100... that is what it cost to do it one time... with all the pine trees etc. it probably should be done 4 or 5 times a year... and think every year.... that is why I would rather get something that is easier to handle and a good screen that handles pine needles..
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just have to look in the next room.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I still clean my own gutters -- well most of them. There is one that's located a story-and-half high and I just get too scared tackling it every three years or so. The others are all one story high. Nevertheless, it is an onerous task that I don't look forward to each fall and could very well be one of the things I hand off to (pay) someone else.

I'm seriously considering retiring the snow shovel as well and getting a snowblower. But as this winter (has so far) been a non-event, it has been a easy couple of months.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, it is not just $100... that is what it cost to do it one time... with all the pine trees etc. it probably should be done 4 or 5 times a year... and think every year.... that is why I would rather get something that is easier to handle and a good screen that handles pine needles..
Yep, I get up there once in September and then again just before rains start here, in October generally. Then I blow them out a bit more after a few months. Only one side of the house gets a lot of small oak leaves.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I clean my own gutters and have a 1 story home. No getting on the roof for me so I work from the ladder. Here are a few tools that I have purchased over the past 18 years and find them to help with the job.

Ladder stabilizer: Amazon.com: Werner AC78 Quickclick Stabilizer: Home Improvement

Really like the debris removal tool with the extension wands. Don't need to move the ladder as much and don't need to lean when on the ladder. Gutter cleaning tool: Amazon.com: Werner AC78 Quickclick Stabilizer: Home Improvement

Just bought this in 2011 as the other stabilizer is limited around windows and does not allow getting very close to a corner. It works OK, but is more of a hassle to put on and take off. Also a ladder is really akward to carry around with a stabilizer attached. Ladder stabilizer for corners: Amazon.com: Werner AC78 Quickclick Stabilizer: Home Improvement

I would like some effective covers for the gutters, yet find some real concerns for each type when reading the reviews.

Several years ago I bought one of the tools similar to this: Amazon.com: Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning tool: Home & Kitchen .
Although the one I got was aluminum and plastic, it broke quickly and was a real piece of junk (found it at HD).

Paying someone else to do it is sounding better each year that goes by!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
.....I don't know WHAT it is about elderly men that makes them h*ll bent on spending time doing risky things up on top of a roof. Young guys won't do it no matter how much their wives nag, but older guys value roof time more than sex, I think.

I suppose these elderly men are thinking, "See, everybody? I've still GOT it" but the neighbors are all thinking, "There's that crazy old John Doe, nutty as a fruitcake, galavanting around on his roof again."
Yes. My 78 yo uncle hurt himself working on a roof a couple of years ago. I happened to see him when he was recuperating. I asked him if I could ask him a question and he replied "yes". Then I said "What the f were you doing up on a roof at your age - are you f-ing crazy?" Then he muttered something about how the young guys couldn't do the job as well as he could and as a result he "had" to do it. I just . I don't get it.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #50

Quote:
This thread amazes me. What kind of priorities and attitudes could it take for a middle aged, well off guy to risk himslef on a ladder to save $100?...
Ha - it all boils down to "I've cleaned my gutters myself for ___ years. I'm in great shape. I can do this well into my 70's." It's a simple way for a guy to prove that he still has his youth.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Ha - it all boils down to "I've cleaned my gutters myself for ___ years. I'm in great shape. I can do this well into my 70's." It's a simple way for a guy to prove that he still has his youth.
Yes, I see. In do understand that.

Ha
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I installed gutter guards that I purchased at menards for about $1 per 3 ft. section. I have oak trees and pine trees all the way around my house and was cleaning them every time there was a storm, now the only problem is pine needles and only at the spot where the downspouts connect to the gutter, and then maybe only once or twice a year. I would think that with the guards and the contained area of congestion it would be a lot cheaper to have them cleaned. Also I think you should check around for prices, I thought 100 was maybe a little high to clean gutters.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Actually, no.... on my last house I had them taken off... this created other problems with some big runoff on major storms... there was two places that would look like someone turned on a fire hose and was spraying down... it dug a hole in the ground...

I have been here for three years... I have cleaned the first story gutters without any problem... it is those second story ones that I just could not reach...

I am not THAT old yet... and am more stable on a ladder than my 14 YO son... I know my limitations and will not put myself in danger...

Right now we have a major storm passing by and the gutters have filled up and are spilling over... woke me up... I am looking to find someone who will clean them out now and will look to see what else I can get done to not have this be an ongoing issue...

As for the people who say get on the roof... I have a hip roof... the angle is like 60 degrees or more... not an option... it would have been on my old house as it was a standard roof...

but I do appreciate all the options given...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Several years ago I bought one of the tools similar to this: Amazon.com: Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning tool: Home & Kitchen .
Although the one I got was aluminum and plastic, it broke quickly and was a real piece of junk (found it at HD).
Was it exactly like that one? The reviews are mostly positive, but a few purchasers were not satisfied. It's the same one sold here.

It's all pine needles at our house, but then things start growing in the gutter. That actually makes cleaning easier, because I can grab a weed and pull, and a large section of stuff comes out, leaving the gutter clean. But I don't know whether this device could handle that.

I just ordered one, and will report on it.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Was it exactly like that one? The reviews are mostly positive, but a few purchasers were not satisfied. It's the same one sold here.

It's all pine needles at our house, but then things start growing in the gutter. That actually makes cleaning easier, because I can grab a weed and pull, and a large section of stuff comes out, leaving the gutter clean. But I don't know whether this device could handle that.

I just ordered one, and will report on it.
Any update on this

It has been raining here off and on for a few weeks... and I have been putting this off....

I was thinking that this might be a problem for a second story... as you have to hold a long pole and then pull the cord...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Update: I purchased one, and it works like a charm. It works on the second story gutters. I use a 17 foot pole. The pole (a skinny little extension pole pipe clamped onto a 2x2) I have is too flexible -- when I have a big wad of stuff in the jaws, it bends too much. Plants grow in the duff in the gutters, so it gets pretty heavy. I will be buying a sturdier, Fiberglas pole.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Should you decide to get a ladder get a good one.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update: I purchased one, and it works like a charm. It works on the second story gutters. I use a 17 foot pole. The pole (a skinny little extension pole pipe clamped onto a 2x2) I have is too flexible -- when I have a big wad of stuff in the jaws, it bends too much. Plants grow in the duff in the gutters, so it gets pretty heavy. I will be buying a sturdier, Fiberglas pole.
Here is something along those lines from Amazon: Amazon.com: Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning Tool - Improvements: Home Improvement
Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Sounds like this is working out for you.

This is the item I had a few years ago that broke and was a real piece of junk. Look at the price they are asking for it!
Rain Gutter Cleaning Tool with handles
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Fantastic! I sent Frank a link to your post that I quoted here, and after reading it he called to tell me he ordered one. It sounds terrific and if it can save him from a potential fall sometime in the future, that would be worth a lot more than it cost him.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote