Warning - Beltway military stuff

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those who have some interest in inside-the-Beltway military affairs, Marine General Pace, CJCS, just quit or has been fired or, as they reported, "is being replaced." I've heard Pace speak, and he seems to be a no-nonsense knowledgeable guy.

"Gates said he had intended to nominate Pace to a second term, but "the events of the last several months" -- the developments with the war in Iraq -- would have made for a difficult confirmation hearing"

With the new War Czar Gen Lute in place and beginning his power plays within the Administration and Congress, I figure Pace was too smart to put up with this crap and said I'm outta here. So Gen Pace, welcome to FIRE!!!

For those who have some interest in inside-the-Beltway military affairs, Marine General Pace, CJCS, just quit or has been fired or, as they reported, "is being replaced." I've heard Pace speak, and he seems to be a no-nonsense knowledgeable guy.
There are probably a number of factors here-- Gates is putting in a team of people he wants to work with, a CJCS hearing is bloody meat to a Congress drooling for an opportunity to wire-brush DoD, and ol' Pete has probably had quite the reminder of why he prefers being operational to being at HQ.

I was pretty annoyed by his comments on homosexuals in the military, but that seems to have vanished from the media.

It's quite a coup to be the first Marine selected for CJCS, and one tour in that job oughta be enough for anyone.

I figure Pace was too smart to put up with this crap and said I'm outta here. So Gen Pace, welcome to FIRE!!!
No way he'll be able to turn it off. Pretty soon his name will pop up on the USAA board and other companies, and who knows-- maybe he'll even be a CNN Warhead.

It is going to go to a NAVY ADM current CNO.
Dang, I never thought of that-- what a bummer.

Mullen is one of the best we've had in a while, and the [-]jerks[/-] forceful goal-oriented visionaries are stacked up about six-deep below him...

CNN Warhead - hmmm - USAA board, I wouldn't be surprised - looking at the resumes on that board I wondered how they got all of those people in one room - don't know if there'd be enough air.......love the wire brush comment - the visual as well as thought of that is enough to wince.

One last point - the confirmation process for anyone now being nominated for a government post is too much, in my estimation. The personal insults and grandstanding that have nothing to do with that particular person's qualifications, usually because some fringe interest group has goosed that particular politician, is above and beyond what most people would tolerate. I do believe many qualified and willing Americans are weeded out at the prospect of having to go through that. I distinctly remember Alito's wife crying at his confirmation hearing....very nasty business.

Shortly after his appointment as CJCS I heard him at a briefing and Q&A session and observed how he really engaged his brain before his mouth, probably a result of his previous somments on gays (which I think were taken out of context). After every question he would pause and weigh each word before answering, and sometimes would clarify exactly what he meant. He knew that any slipup would be used against him by someone somewhere. I saw the same thing with Gen Meyers after those initial joint press conferences with Rumsfeld firmly in control of the agenda.

CJCS in today's congressional and press environment has to be the absolute worst job for a military-minded general officer. I was surprised Meyers lasted as long as he did, he appeard a shell of his old self when he was an in-charge guy in the Air Force. I suspect Pace also went through that metamorphosis, but being a Marine he had an even harder time with it. And with this was czar guy, whom I think is an illegal position, in between CJCS and the President, it makes it absolutely impossible.

I have to agree, though, that Congress would have skewered Pace or anyone going to the Hill as a vote getting show for the folks back home. The whole thing is just sad and it weakens our nation.

Hey Nords, this one's for you:
Naval Academy Gets New Leader
Superintendent Leaves Legacy Of Tough Policies
Hey, thanks, I didn't catch that one. He's going to be remembered for taking over after a real jerk and for getting the women midshipmen population to the tipping point.

He's a good guy but 41 years of active duty should be enough for anybody. As should collecting 105% of an O-9's active duty pay under the new 40-year pay tables (just took effect two months ago). I calculate his annual retirement pension to be $186,720-- with a CPI COLA and $460/year TRICARE.

I bet he ends up running the alumni association.

BTW breathalyzers were used at USNA as far back as 1981. Midn Aaron Gray, upon returning from an evening's liberty that atypically lacked alcohol, noted that his company officer, LT Dave McColl, had made a special Saturday trip to their spaces with a breathalyzer and was informally conducting independent research.

So Aaron sneaked up a back stairway and staggered into the company area, slurring his words and generally behaving the way he usually behaved after liberty. McColl, sensing a live one, gleefully had him slobber over a balloon.

The breathalyzer accurately reported a BAC of 0.00. McColl, a nuclear submariner (he later commissioned SEAWOLF and was a squadron commodore) knew that couldn't be correct and recalibrated the equipment ("percussive maintenance"). 20 minutes and several balloons later he administered a verbal warning to MIDN Gray and stomped out of the company area. The breathalyzer test program was declared defective. Gray spontaneously sobered up, noticed by several mids but unreported to any commissioned officers, and went to bed.

I heard that five years later LTJG Gray reported the backstory of the incident to LCDR McColl. At least the guy had the grace to enjoy a good laugh over it and let Gray buy him a frosty beverage...

Back
Top Bottom