Washer:Front load versus Top Load

gwix98

Recycles dryer sheets
Happy Saturday!

Need to replace the 25 y/o Kenmore washer.

Should I get a top loader or a front loader.
Looks like most of the new front-loaders are in the $1K area.
Not sure I really want to pay that much. Our washing needs are somewhat
less now that kids are mostly gone.
Also have heard that "mold" problems often occur with front loaders.

Lets hear your advice and comments.
Is Maytag still one of the best? How about newcomer LG?

Thanks,

gwix

Here is a recent thread that talks about your question:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=10743.0

I do not regret in the least spending extra for the front loader. We got the LG Tromm and love it. Less water. Less noise. Easy on clothes.

This month's Consumer Reports did wash machines. Because of water, heat and other costs they found the lifetime costs for some of the expensive front loaders to be less than the lifetime costs of the cheap top loaders. If you want, I can pull my issue out and tell you what they rated high.

Just pulled out my issue. Their quick picks for top loaders were a 400 dollar Whirlpool and a 300 dollar Admiral.

The best front loader was the newest LG Trom steamwasher, but big bucks at $1500. Their top picks were the Bosch Nexxt 500 series at $1100 and the LG WM0642H at $1000.

gwix98 said:
Also have heard that "mold" problems often occur with front loaders.

There was a recent thread on washers - you might want to search because I'm too lazy today to hunt for it.

We have the Nexxt and mold can be a problem because water can collect in the hollow area that the seal forms inside the door. But when I was researching front loaders I read that just leaving the door open at the end of the day works well. If you forget, as we have a few times, and mold starts to show its ugly face, just wash a load of whites with bleach and it all goes away.

Like you, we replaced an ancient top loader and the benefits were worth the price difference (for us). Much lower consumption of water, soap and power. Plus the increased load sizes make wash day a much shorter experience (two teenage boys with lots of activities equals a lot of laundry). Finally, our clothes were being abused by the old machines - frequent tears and holes - that is no longer an issue with these machines.

The down side is that they are not cheap to purchase.

front loader definatly. i can wash our down jackets and sleeping bags .

a regular agitar breaks the down

Martha said:
Just pulled out my issue. Their quick picks for top loaders were a 400 dollar Whirlpool and a 300 dollar Admiral.

Thanks Martha.
Was actually headed down to the library to do the Consumer Reports research!
What was the model of the Whirlpool Top Loader?

With the kids gone, I don't know if we actually do enough laundry to warrant the extra
price. I did see the LG's at Home Depot last night. Pretty "high tech" looking.

I guess what amazes me is the relaltively short life time (11 years in average) these things
last. Kinda used to the old Kenmore which keeps on playing on. Until now...
It would seem with all the electronics that you might run into a higher failure rate than
the older more conventional washers. But who knows. I am sure the efficiency is much
higher and less water as well. That's a plus.

We will need a dryer soon as well so its a bit of a shock to shell out so much. It would be
nice if you could expect a 25 year life span.

Steve

mathjak107 said:
i can wash our down jackets and sleeping bags .

Yes, that is a plus, as we have been limited in doing this.
Not sure what my wife (who does most of the laundry) does here?
Maybe our down jackets have never been washed.

We get by with Polar-Tec most of the time with mild NW winters.

Steve, the model for the Whirlpool top loader is WTW554S. This is not the best top loader, it was just their quick pick for an inexpensive top loader. The best top loader is the Whirlpool Cabrio HE but it costs a thousand bucks.

One upside to the front loader LG that I didn't think of is the fact that it figures out how much water to use based on the size of your load. With the two of us only, some of the loads are pretty small.

The cycles take longer than a top loader though.

Martha said:
Steve, the model for the Whirlpool top loader is WTW554S.

Martha,

Thanks for the info.

Part of what makes this such a hard decision is the life expectancy. Seems like everything
just does not last as long as "it used too".

We tend to be a little behind the technology curve here. Not always convinced the newest is
the best for our situation.

A little story:
About 10 years ago I visited one of the best Audio/Visual boutique type stores in
the Seattle area (Magnolia Hi Fi for anyone in Seattle area reading this)
Salesmen/Saleswomen are top notch and really know their stuff.
I wanted to buy a VCR to replace our older Panasonic which was beginning to eat
tapes, and was not worth fixing anymore.
The salesman picked out an upper mid priced Sony as one of the best for the
$$'s I had to spend.
I told him reliability and longevity were to be a big part of my purchase, not just
new gadgetry and features.
He just could not understand why this would be such a big part of the purchase
decision. "Surely, you will want the lastest new innovations in the next year or two".
No, I just want something that will play/record well with a good picture, etc, and
hold up well over time.

The first one failed in a week on rewind function. So I went with another model
which I still have, but don't use much anymore because of DVD's.

A long winded concern and delight for longevity!

Well, now off to check further into washers.

Thanks again.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom