Watching habits

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Watching the TV/the Tube....

First off, not how many hours... too embarrassing for me...
But... Of the time spent watching TV, how would you divide the hours in these four broad categories:

1. News

2. Fiction... including movies, series, and Netflix/Amazon/Hulu et al.

3. DIY, Travel, Food, Show biz, Talk, Quiz shows, Weather and like that...

4. Sports

for me: 1. 35%... 2. 45%... 3. 5%... 4. 15%

For purposes here, your computer/tablet/phone screens don't count... ie: don't include the time spent on ER... :cool:

1. News

4. Sports

for me: 1. 0.0%... 2. 0.0%... 3. 0.0%... 4. 90%

The other 10% is watching reruns of the First 48 and COPS.

News - 10%
Movies - 80%
Sports - 10%

Chicago Cubs 65% (DW's fault)
Golf 10% (the majors only)
Movies/Fiction 25%

We don't do news/reality/talk/etc.

Total hours are about 30 per month

I hardly watch TV at all any more.

During the past week, I watched TV for about an hour and a half. Well, I should say that F watched two episodes of "The Flash" over here, via Netflix, while I enjoyed his company and did some iPad jigsaw puzzles.

So, I'd say 100% fiction. But honestly I could not even begin to tell you the plots.

I do not watch TV news any more at all. I would if it was news, but all I have found are editorials that are heavily biased towards one political leaning or other, but labeled as "news" by the networks. I'm not interested in that. Hopefully if WW3 breaks out, I'll hear about it somewhere online.

Not a fan of watching team sports.

Last edited:
I don't have a TV.

But... Of the time spent watching TV, how would you divide the hours in these four broad categories:

1. News

4. Sports

for me: 1. 35%... 2. 45%... 3. 5%... 4. 15%

For purposes here, your computer/tablet/phone screens don't count... ie: don't include the time spent on ER... :cool:
Not sure about those 4 categories. The first three mostly overlap and are all a combination of fictional-reality-entertainment. The last one is fine.

Not sure about those 4 categories. The first three mostly overlap and are all a combination of fictional-reality-entertainment. The last one is fine.

That's why I don't watch 1,2, & 3 at all. And as far as sports, I only watch local teams (Rockets, Astros).

Clarification: DW is a crazy Rocket fan and I watch the Astros.

DW still watches TV. I don't watch that much network/cable TV anymore, and less and less news in the past 5 months. I'm watching YouTube on my (smart) TV more often than cable TV, and most of my TV is PBS, HGTV, Food Network, Velocity and niche sports (e.g. sailing, golf, cycling). The categories don't line up well with what I watch, so I won't attempt it.

Last edited:
I generally watch about 5-10 hours per year, usually when I'm stuck in a hotel room with nothing better to do.

The only thing we watch, (and we don't do that daily), on the TV are videos from the library.....mostly fiction, some travel documentaries.

We are not connected to cable/satellite or even rabbit ears.

1. News - 40% (including business news)

2. Fiction - 35%

3. DIY, Travel, Food, Show biz, Talk, Quiz shows, Weather - 5%, maybe

4. Sports - 20%

1. News - 0%

2. Fiction - 70%

3. Nonfiction - 30%

4. Sports - 0%

My viewing consists only of an occasional DVD from the library or Netflix. I dropped cable TV a few years ago when I began watching the show Dating Naked, thereby completing my de-evolution as a human being 😊.

The only TV I watch is at the gym, otherwise it is youtube and Amazon Prime movies, documentaries and general information stuff like reviews of various R/C model airplanes. DW does watch a lot of TV but she is also doing stuff like jigsaw puzzles at the same time.

News 15%
Fiction, etc 5%
DIY 40% (include discovery, history, HGTV)
Sports 40%

+1 , if Steven Colbert counts as news [emoji6]

I'm nearly always doing something more while watching - cooking, cleaning, or (mostly) knitting.

At this point it's all series on Netflix. I get my news from Web sites and podcasts.

1. News
1%

33%

33%

4. Sports
33%

I don't watch TV. I do own one, but I only play games on it. I have found over the years that YouTube has taken some of the place of TV. I mostly watch comedy stuff, occasionally something serious.

Coming back to the "news" bit...
Guess I'm a junkie on the future and the world situation, 'cuz I won't be there when it happens.

Time is pretty evenly divided between these stations:
Local CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX
CNN
HLN
RFD
OAN (new to me)
CSpan1
CSpan2
Bloomberg
MSNBC
NBC Business
NBC World
Fox Business
FOX News
Link
PBS

No TV or internet at the lake, so the summer "watching" hours are a lot less. Watching the news is much easier than working on the seawall. :greetings10:

That's why I don't watch 1,2, & 3 at all. And as far as sports, I only watch local teams (Rockets, Astros).

Clarification: DW is a crazy Rocket fan and I watch the Astros.

You must be quite happy this year. Grew up in Houston. Was an Astro buddy when I was a kid. Not sure if they still do that. Anyway, Rangers fan now but the division race is over. Still hoping for a wildcard but it doesn't seem to be their year. Meanwhile, it sure does seem like it might be the Astros year!

As to the original question, 20%, 20%, 5%, 55%.

Muir

Haven't watched TV in years except an hour or two on each presidential election night. I didn't need to do that this time because I was able to keep up on my tablet.

We do have a TV and turned it on last fall for some reason. 6 month old dog went nuts. It was the first time she had seen TV and found it vary puzzling. Looking around the back to see where the people were. I'm not sure she has seen it turned on since.

One of the great mysteries of my life is why so many people get so excited to watch a bunch of rich guys playing a game in order to further enrich a richer guy yet. A second mystery is why a majority of taxpayers and nearly all politicians willingly pay for stadiums in order to further enrich the really rich guy. But maybe I'm just weird.

1. News - 20%, about half hour a day.

2. Fiction - 40%

3. DIY, Travel, Food, Show biz, Talk, Quiz shows, Weather - 40%

4. Sports - .0001%, I do not watch any sports with a few exceptions like some of the Olympics and Penn State football if broadcast OTR. Do not waste time feeding the entertainment industry of pro sports.

I love tv, I admit it--it's so pretty on a big screen. We only have it on in the weeknight evenings sometime between 7 and 11, and usually watch something on Netflix or Amazon Prime but are not above a tad of America's Got Talent, the Dick Wolf Chicago shows (PD, Fire, Med) during the regular season, or an old Murder She Wrote from the early days with the guest stars and the clothes with the high waisted jeans and the giant shoulder pads and the frizzy permed hair. Right now we are going through the Australian-set Doctor Blake Mysteries on Netflix. A bit of news at 10. No sports as we are powerful jinxes to the hometown clubs, no HGTV or DIY stuff.

Back
Top Bottom