We are having another baby girl! Now, what to name her?????

Congratulations!

We had a tough time picking girls' names...everything I liked DH vetoed and vice versa! Hopefully our next one will be a boy!

We finally settled on Erin, which is what we named our daughter.

Hmmm - going thru family/friends and picking the more interesting ones:

Kathryn, Carrie Cay, Helmi, Wava, Kit, Mallory, Zoe/ and then the usual suspects - Helen, Geraldine, Lil, Ann etc, etc.

heh heh heh

Congratulations!

We had a hard time picking names, and I won't offer suggestions. I did a search of potential names and selected names that were not common. You don't want to show up for school and the class has 3 of the same name. The kids get the first letter of the last name tacked on and they become known as "Stephanie S" or Brittany G".

As has been said; make sure the name goes with your last name, and think about family names or versions of family names. Think of names used in favorite books. Also think about how the name might be shortened or how it will sound as an adult (e.g. the name "Candy" doesn't instill much respect - hope I didn't insult anyone!).

Often older sibs or cousins can't pronounce the baby's new name and come up with some shortened phonetically-related version. My twins gave each other these kinds of names: the one my daughter used for my son didn't work and was dropped (but she still teases him with it). However, the one he used for her stuck and it is what she goes by still. I would never have guessed or figured it myself.

I really like Emma. Unfortunately, it's a very popular name according to the SS web site, so I doubt we'll be naming any future daughter that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll sift through them and some links I got from y'all and post our top ten in a week or so and do a poll. Imagine if we had the first baby named by the ER board? Hey, maybe I'll name her Dory! :eek:

Congrats, Laurence.

Late to the topic, but here are a few more:
Linnea
Carissa
Meredith

Laurence said:
Hey, maybe I'll name her Dory!

Rhymes with Tori -- not bad. :)

When we named our kid, the only criterion was "would anybody giggle when her name was announced as the winner of the Nobel prize in physics?" We picked one that would guarantee giggles. :)

My sibling and I both share the same initials. I guess that could save you a couple bucks on monogrammed towels. Or even better, give both kids the same name!

I noticed that jj mentioned Olivia in the long list. I second the name Olivia

Dang! DW like Olivia too, but I don't! You all are ganging up on me. Maybe it will grow on me.

I like the name because I imagine someone with that name to be sophisticated and attractive. You know like that old film star.

Laurence said:
Dang! DW like Olivia too, but I don't! You all are ganging up on me. Maybe it will grow on me.
Well, if it's spouse-endorsed then it's not as if you have any choice anyway.

But there's a pinup artist from the 1980s who's already done a real number on that name. For example there's http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/CTGY/aol

I see a lot of local bumper stickers with the "OLIVIA" followed by what seems to be a small girl holding a doll over her head. Anyone know what that's about?

I have a niece named Olivia. Two problems:

1) Too many syllables, so she goes by Liv or Livvie (sp?).

2) Nothing ryhmes, except Bolivia. All her cousins have nics: Mark the Shark, Sarah Bear, etc. Poor Livvie.

Laurence said:

Olivia has my vote!

wab said:
2) Nothing ryhmes, except Bolivia. All her cousins have nics: Mark the Shark, Sarah Bear, etc. Poor Livvie.

Olivia the encyclopidia...olivia the tatooooed ladeeeeey...

No charge...

Aviva = Spring.......vitality........etc.........

I like the name Olivia, too. But did you know that it is the name of a pig character in a couple of children's books? Might cause some teasing.

Still, the character Olivia in those books is so feisty and endearing, a real darling. I love those books.

http://tinyurl.com/ywudx4

Hope the link works--first time for me to use tinyurl.com.

My grand daughters name is Kendall. Some folks also use it as a man's name.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom