We are having another baby girl! Now, what to name her?????

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So we just found out that we are having a girl in May (obviously, we knew we were pregnant for a while). We, for some reason, thought we were having a boy, but that's no problem except we haven't given any thought to girl names!!! Quick everybody, give me some suggestions, seriously! What names do you like? Later I'll compile and run the list past DW, and we'll pick our top ten and do a survey with NO GARANTEE we'll use the winner. :)

Why don't you take a look at Grandmothers, Great Grandmothers. Sometimes honoring them works -- If you have two you like to use make it first and middle or hyphen the name. For Instance I have one named Sara Mary-Christine; the Sara is hers and the Mary are two Great Grandmothers. Congratulations: the old adage of "A Son is a Son until he takes a wife BUT a Daughter is a Daughter the rest of your life".

Laurence said:
So we just found out that we are having a girl in May (obviously, we knew we were pregnant for a while).
Who's this "we", kemosabe?!?

Here are some of the "in" names on our street:
Stephanie

Emilie

Carol

Christine

Marjorie

Michelle

Joan

Lauren (Careful trying this one out on your spouse... especially if this kid ends up looking like you...)

Kehau (I'll stop with just one of these, because I guess any more Hawaiian names will start a very unproductive stroll down memory lane!)

LOL! Yeah, we already had some jokes about her preference for Latin guys and me trying to figure out why a son had black hair and she was suggesting the name "Ricardo Jr." - payback? Never worth it.

Stephanie isn't going to work for reasons you can guess. Neither will Brie, Jesse, Jennifer, Inice, er, ah, and one other name that she knows but I forget now. :-\

Oh, not Kim either, but that's not the name I can't think of.

Don't use "Jasmine" or "Kaylin". Those are mine. Congrats - hope baby #2 likes big sister's old clothes! ;)

A cousin's daughter is Kaylin, no worries there!

She's going to have to like them! First three or four years shouldn't be a problem...

I like these two names (both from Seinfeld)
Seven
Soda

I also like:

Amelia
Celeste

Congrats! and good luck!!

Congratulations!

Just because I like them:

Sara
Rebecca
Eleanor
Grace
Margaret
Stacy
Madeleine

Coach (that's a signature, not a suggestion)

Holy cow, we had the hardest time with names. We had so many complications it wasn't even funny, but some of these "rules" might be worth including in your process -- or just laughing at:

1. Each of our four named children had two middle names. We went with my last name on them as is typical for most Americans, but that meant we came up with 4 x 3 = 12 different names.
2. The acronyms couldn't spell anything bad.
3. The names couldn't remind me or my ex of anyone we didn't like.
4. The names couldn't be used to make fun of the kid.
5. The first names were all Biblical and had meanings we liked.
6. Each of the two middle names were divvied up so one was from my side of the family and the other was from her side of the family.
7. As each kid came along, the order of the two middle names was swapped, so that for two of the four kids "my" middle name was first and hers was second, and for the other two "her" middle name was first and mine was second.
8. The whole package had to fit together and not sound awkward.
9. We wanted to avoid the popular names but #5 above pretty much took care of that.
10. Any unused name candidates from earlier children couldn't be "reused" on later kids.

We did end up saddling our kids with names that many can't spell, which is an annoyance IMHO. So I would suggest not spelling your daughter's name "Kymberlie" or something. And two middle names can be a little tricky with some systems that assume a single middle name. In those cases we just use the first middle name. But this has not been the problem I thought it would; most systems now can handle two middle names.

Good luck, anyway!

2Cor521

wow! with such complications you might just find it easier to name them "you" and "hey you"

First of all, congrats!

Secondly, I found that it depends heavily on your last name. In our case, there's plenty of names I like, but many fewer I liked with our last name.

It took us forever to think up names, but we also allowed our intuition to help guide us. I just told myself, "When it's time for me to think up the name, it will come to me." And after that point, that held true... without any further effort of thinking about names, they came to me.

My wife's father's name was Marvin, and her mom's name was Neva, so she was named Marva--you could try this route. My only grandkid's name is Chloe, but I didn't choose it. Congratulations and good luck on the naming--remember that a rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

Congratulations on the little girl! Awwww! :-*

Belita

Congratulations!

DW and I didn't have much common ground on this, but we finally compromised.

Remember "Catch 22" and "Major Major"? You can name your little girl whatever you like! While Mom is still groggy and incoherent after the delivery, just fill out the paperwork yourself. A fait accompli!

Recomendation: You may want to avoid a name that rhymes with "Tori" or that starts with the same sound (Toni, Tanya, etc). All my wife's five siblings have names starting with K, and there are plenty of false starts as their parents grabbed the wrong name while yelling at calling to one or the other.

Congratulations on the new baby ! My daughter was born on St.Patrick's Day so her name should have been Patty or Megan but I named her Gretchen. Go Figure !

I knew a girl named Bombala. Nice cadence.

We just saw a kid play the piano. Long hair. Loose fitting clothes. I asked my wife "that's a guy, right?" She said, "definitely a girl, you idiot."

"OK, let's check the name in the program." "Jesse."

Still no idea who was right.

Julianna

This was my girl name if I had one, but I'm not, so its yours if you want it!

SecondCor521 said:
And two middle names can be a little tricky with some systems that assume a single middle name. In those cases we just use the first middle name.
Well, that leaves out "Lilioukalani" or "Kalaniana`ole" or just about any other Hawaiian polysyllabic middle name!

wab said:
I knew a girl named Bombala. Nice cadence.
It could be your choice of phrasing or vocabulary that led me astray because my first thought was "Nice bombalas, baby." But maybe that's just me...

Back
Top Bottom