Weaning myself off soda - any advice?

Uh, guys? Soda, sparkling water. You do know that the acid in question is carbonic acid, i.e., the sparkling part?
Yes. I know. that's why it's in moderation. Especially compared to my diet soda addicted sister... who drinks 4-6 cans a day of diet pepsi.

Speaking only for myself... drinking pelligrino sometimes ... translates to about every 2 weeks. not daily. Moderation etc.., yada yada. Regular water is what I drink day in/day out... with meals, at my desk, etc.

Avoid separation anxiety. Go cold turkey. That is how I quit smoking. Should work for sugar water as well.

Uh, guys? Soda, sparkling water. You do know that the acid in question is carbonic acid, i.e., the sparkling part?

Most sodas also have phosphoric or citric acid added to them.

This link tested pH of cola, then degassed it and measured again:

31.19 What is the pH of Coca-cola?

So the conclusion is that the pH of Coca-Cola is approximately 2.5 - 2.7.
Not surprisingly, the relatively weak carbonic acid from the dissolved CO2
did not significantly affect the pH of the beverage.

Read more: 31.19 What is the pH of Coca-cola?

-ERD50

I can relate exactly to what you're going through, I drink about 2 liters of Coke Zero and or Diet Coke every day. I tried reducing the intake but I felt dehidrated and the craving was intense. My wife tells me to drink water instead and it's really hard since I get no taste from it....Doh!

As for coffee, I tried no sweetner at all and I hated the taste and it seemed bitter. I eventually reduced it to one pack and two cups of coffee in the morning as it works well since I then go to Diet Coke throughout the day.

I don't think I can stop drinking Soda, I just don't have it in me.

I can relate exactly to what you're going through, I drink about 2 liters of Coke Zero and or Diet Coke every day. I tried reducing the intake but I felt dehidrated and the craving was intense. My wife tells me to drink water instead and it's really hard since I get no taste from it....Doh! ...

Try this - seriously. Don't actually try to stop drinking soda, just do this instead.

Drink soda as you normally do, but every time you open a can or pour a drink, also pour a half-glass of water. As you drink the soda, take sips of water. Finish the water before taking the next soda. Do this for 2~3 weeks (I think it takes your body about this long to adapt to changes).

Then increase the water to a full glass. Two~three weeks of this.

Now take a few sips of the water before the soda. Another 2~3 weeks.

Now drink half the glass of water before the soda, the rest during/after. Another 2~3 weeks.

Then a full glass of water before, etc. I think you'll find your craving for the soda gets displaced to a craving for water. Best part is, you never actually try to do this, it just happens.

I did something along these lines when I thought I should be getting a higher water/coffee ratio. I started craving water instead of coffee.

-ERD50

What kind of soda do you drink? Actually, what I am asking is whether it has caffeine. Because what you describe could be caffeine withdrawal.

I was drinking lots of diet drinks (Cherry Coke Zero to be precise) and decided I wanted to limit artificial sweeteners. I also don't think sugar is really good for you so didn't want to move to sugared drinks.

I basically tapered off on a step by step basis. Cold turkey was just too difficult due to caffeine headaches.

Basically I started out and would drink them only during the day. Then I would drink only before noon. Then I limited to only one in the morning. Finally I got to a point where I wasn't buying any more at home but would sometimes buy one when I went out to eat (a couple of times a week) or sometimes when I would stop at a convenience store.

As I substitute I mostly drank cold bottled water occasionally I would put True Lemonade in it which doesn't use artificial sweeteners although it does use stevia and a very tiny amount of sugar (1g).

I still missed caffeine. I don't like coffee and I didn't want sugared tea and didn't like unsweet tea.

Several months ago we moved to our current home where we go out less (20 minutes away from a store) so that cut back on the drinks I was getting from the convenience store (yes I knew that wasn't economical but it did help in lowering the amount I was drinking).

So we started buying the boxes of Cherry Coke Zero again. I still limit how many I drink, but I've backslid quite a bit.

Basically I don't mind giving up the artificial sweetener and even the taste (which I love) but I don't want to give up caffeine....

The heavier "soft drinks" have other much stronger acids plus apparently the sugar adds to the acidity. Carbonic acid itself is quite mild and the minerals in some sparkling waters buffer it anyway.

Most sodas also have phosphoric or citric acid added to them.

This link tested pH of cola, then degassed it and measured again:

31.19 What is the pH of Coca-cola?

-ERD50

The heavier "soft drinks" have other much stronger acids plus apparently the sugar adds to the acidity. Carbonic acid itself is quite mild and the minerals in some sparkling waters buffer it anyway.

Carbonic acid should not be a problem, read the Wikipedia write up.
Carbonic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for disabusing me of my perception of equivalence. I like my water with gas in restaurants.

I haven't had a soda (around here it's called "pop") in years. The sugared stuff is too sweet and the diet stuff tastes like chemicals to me. I really don't miss it at all. I drink water all the time and we make brewed iced tea, which I drink plain or with Splenda. I used to avoid all the sugar substitutes but I found Splenda to be acceptable.

Good luck in breaking the habit. I know some people have a tough time giving it up.

I always assumed it was the phosphoric acid in cola. Do you perhaps have a link to show that carbonic acid is harmful?

I presonally doubt that it is, but I have never investigated it.

Ha

I keep bottles and cans of carbonated mineral water around for when I crave a soda - the grapefruit flavor (no sugar or artificial sweetener - just a bit of flavor essence) is my favorite but I also get lemon and lime for a change.

I keep bottles and cans of carbonated mineral water around for when I crave a soda - the grapefruit flavor (no sugar or artificial sweetener - just a bit of flavor essence) is my favorite but I also get lemon and lime for a change.

Yes, I drink some of that too. I used to get the LaCroix (lime flavor is favorite). HEB has a store brand as well which is just as good but cheaper so I buy that more often.

When looking for sparkling water (how it is usually described in the store) you have to really look carefully at the labels to make sure that it doesn't have sugar (some do) or artificial sweetener (some do as well).

What I really want is the carbonated water with some flavor but also with caffeine. I've found some that have caffeine but they either have sugar or artificial sweetener. I haven't been able to find one without any sweetener but which do have caffeine.

Thanks for disabusing me of my perception of equivalence. I like my water with gas in restaurants.
We always had a big chuckle when at a restaurant in Italy they asked you if you wanted your water with or without gas.

Yes, I drink some of that too. I used to get the LaCroix (lime flavor is favorite). HEB has a store brand as well which is just as good but cheaper so I buy that more often.

When looking for sparkling water (how it is usually described in the store) you have to really look carefully at the labels to make sure that it doesn't have sugar (some do) or artificial sweetener (some do as well).

What I really want is the carbonated water with some flavor but also with caffeine. I've found some that have caffeine but they either have sugar or artificial sweetener. I haven't been able to find one without any sweetener but which do have caffeine.
Do they still make No-Doze? Sorry, couldn't resist. We really like the HEB lightly flavored sparkling water too.

My gal went from 8+ cans of diet Dr. Pepper/day to carbonated water - which, after several cases from CostlyCo, my thrrrrifty self started making. Water of choice (in La Quinta the purified stuff for $.25/gallon from the machine, in Oregon city water from West Salem from a tap at our apartments) + ~ $150 worth of gauges/regulators and several tanks of CO2. Our setup should provide as much carbonated water as we can swill at a cost of about a nickle a bottle in LQ for the next few years, less as time passes. Flavorings haven't been much of a hit, though scotch, canadian, vodka and such seem to mix pretty well.

I add a bit of fruit juice like cranapple or cranberry to my water also.

That's a pretty good idea. I might give that a try as a soda substitute.

My main problem is all the sweets at my mother's house. She's in her 90's and it takes calories from candy, pastries and ice cream to keep her weight up. Me being the weak soul that I am, I nibble on all her snacks. I'm not grossly over weight, but could stand to lose 8-10 lbs.

Oh well....I will try harder next year. ;)

wow, reading your delima is dejavu. I too was addicted to soda pop. Dr. Pepper to be specific. The sugar was makn me fat. I think what i was addicted to was the carbination bubbles, which would help me wake up. A nurse recommended getting the Soda Stream machine, and use a very small amount of DR Pepper syrup. That way, I get my fix of carbonated water with a tiny bit of flavor to peak my interest, but far far less sugar than a Bottled Dr Pepper. Now, i cant drink a Bottled Dr Pepper. Seams very heavy to me and way to sugary. It didnt take long to wein off the full blown Pop. I feel better, and drinking maybe a 10th of the sugar amount. I still like the bubbly fix, without the huge amounts of sugar.

Try beer or champagne instead.

But seriously, I can go off soda with iced tea. I used to have some sort of iced tea appliance that was a pain to use and clean, but now I use (good) loose leaf tea, a plain sauce pot and a fine-mesh strainer to make it, and it's a lot easier to do and clean up. (At one point I was using a wide-mesh strainer and a paper towel; that worked okay.)

When I'm in the tea groove I keep one ready-to-drink pitcher and an undiluted batch in the fridge ready to refill the pitcher when it's emptied.

Periodically through my life, I have tried to wean myself off soda. Generally works for awhile, but after a week or two I get sick and CRAVE soda in the worst possible way. Hard to describe what I mean by "sick" but it's just a general tired, nausea, irritable feeling. For instance, I have had three sodas in the past 10 days or so (low for me) and last night at around 9pm, it's like my body demanded a soda. Fortunately (I guess :)) I had a ginger ale in the refrigerator, drank it, and have felt fine since. I was thinking my sugar level may have been low, but it works just as well if I drink diet soda without sugar. My body seems to crave the sweet taste after awhile. I have also heard that when you start healthy eating habits, after a week or two, your body starts getting rid of the toxins in your body and you start to feel sick. Maybe that is what is going on. Every time I have had these cravings, I have given in with either a soda or cookies. Just wondering why I get these sweet cravings. Does anyone have any insights about this? I have told this to my doctor and he does not seem too concerned. I do not have diabetes or low sugar (at least not earlier in the year when I had blood work).
I think your doctor should be very concerned. If you substitute water for soda (and other unhealthy substances) then you might not need to visit "your" doctor anymore.

If it's any consolation, you were about a week short of kicking the taste. Your tastebuds will reset in 3-4 weeks when you cut out sugar, artificial sweeteners, and salt. I only drink soda a few times a year now, and it's cloyingly sweet. If cold turkey is driving you nuts then you could try an "emergency fund" of a few ounces diluted in water.

Are you able to determine what triggers your craving? I haven't had a beer for nearly two years, and I'm not interested 99% of the time, but when I see a [-]bikini[/-] beer commercial or smell good Tex-Mex food then suddenly a beer seems totally appropriate to my monkey brain. Your senses of smell, taste, or sight somehow persuaded the rest of your body to crave that soda.

One of the incentives (for me, anyway) to give up soda was accidentally learning how powerful those scrubbing bubbles can be on mineral stains. Of course I'm almost positive that our digestive systems have enough mucous to buffer the phosphoric & carbonic acid. Yeah, that should be OK. No problem. Sure.

When I was in a college instrumental chemistry class, I did HPLC runs on Mountain Dew-- the full-calorie full-caffeine brew that they used to sell in the early 1980s. It makes today's Red Bull look like soy milk.

Back
Top Bottom