I have COVID and need help. I am in panic mode

F.I.R.E User

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For the first time I have COVID-19 according to home test I did on 3/20/24. First time I ever tested too based on the fever and itchy throat I that started early Tuesday morning on 3/19/24.

Fever was from 99 to 101 F but that has been gone since 3/21/24.

46 year old healthy male. No smoking and drinking. Work out 3x in the gym and very fit with low body fat %. I am up to date on all my COVID vaccines as well as the Flu shot.

I took generic Theraflu when I had sure throat and fever to help me.

The main issue now is feeling fatigued and tired since then. What can I do? It feels miserable. I feel like just laying on my bed. This feels like having a Cold or maybe a Flu but just taking longer than usual to become normal. I take 500mg Tylenol before sleep and recently started Mucinex for my chest and facial congestion. I never took Paxlovid because it interacts with other medications that I take.
I have tested negative today so shouldn’t the symptoms be gone?
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Have you called your doctor?

No. Just the virtual on call doc that prescribed Paxlovid.

I regret taking my mask off last year. I am back to masking now. Nobody wears one in the gym and hardly anyone in grocery stores.

Last edited:
I had COVID in 2022 and was feverish and sick - like a bad case of flu, where it feels like an anvil fell on you - for a week. I had been vaccinated 4 times.

Although I bounced back physically in a week, I completely lost my sense of taste and smell, which have only partly returned.

I did all the usual stuff: rest, drinking lots of fluids (had zero appetite), Tylenol, guaifenesin (the active ingredient in Mucinex). The fever was spiky and lasted about 3 days.

COVID knocks the stuffing out of your body. Your immune system just throws everything at it, meaning you get to feel the nasty effects of the prostaglandins, etc. that are trying to kill the virus. It feels like you never will get better, but I'm confident you will.

For the first time I have COVID-19 according to home test I did on 3/20/24. First time I ever tested too based on the fever and itchy throat I that started early Tuesday morning on 3/19/24.

46 year old healthy male. No smoking and drinking. Work out 3x in the gym and very fit with low body fat %. I am up to date on all my COVID vaccines as well as the Flu shot.

The main issue now is feeling fatigued and tired since then. What can I do? It feels miserable. I feel like just laying on my bed. This feels like having a Cold or maybe a Flu but just taking longer than usual to become normal. I take 500mg Tylenol before sleep and recently started Mucinex for my chest and facial congestion. I never took Paxlovid because it interacts with other medications that I take.

Any suggestions?

Have you called your doctor?

I had COVID in 2022 and was feverish and sick - like a bad case of flu, where it feels like an anvil fell on you - for a week. I had been vaccinated 4 times.

Although I bounced back physically in a week, I completely lost my sense of taste and smell, which have only partly returned.

I did all the usual stuff: rest, drinking lots of fluids (had zero appetite), Tylenol, guaifenesin (the active ingredient in Mucinex). The fever was spiky and lasted about 3 days.

COVID knocks the stuffing out of your body. Your immune system just throws everything at it, meaning you get to feel the nasty effects of the prostaglandins, etc. that are trying to kill the virus. It feels like you never will get better, but I'm confident you will.

I did lose about 90% on my smell and 50% taste but getting better on smell now. Appetite is also bad but not that bad.

Day 13 today. My concern is fatigue and lack of energy. Congestion is still there and some nasal too. I used Neti Pot so that helped. Sudafed not much.

Any suggestions?
Based on your "panic mode" title, I would probably go to my PCP, then I would probably push myself to get going again and not rest anymore. I like the rest advice in general, but it has been awhile now. Of course, your PCP should have some advice too.

I'm not a big Sudafed fan, because dried-up mucus gets impacted in my sinuses and gives me headaches. I prefer Guaifenesin, which thins the mucus and makes it easier to get rid of. When your sinuses become completely clogged, it takes quite a long while for them to clear themselves.

Your energy level should start coming back as you begin eating better, getting more sleep and eventually getting back to your exercise routine. Meanwhile, if it hangs on and on, I'd talk to a doctor about it.

I did lose about 90% on my smell and 50% taste but getting better on smell now. Appetite is also bad but not that bad.

Day 13 today. My concern is fatigue and lack of energy. Congestion is still there and some nasal too. I used Neti Pot so that helped. Sudafed not much.

Seeing a PCP is probably a good idea. He could run some tests.

Based on your "panic mode" title, I would probably go to my PCP, then I would probably push myself to get going again and not rest anymore. I like the rest advice in general, but it has been awhile now. Of course, your PCP should have some advice too.

I maybe exaggerating on panic mode but I do have OCD/Anxiety and take medication for that. I am going for my regular PCP appointment on 4/11/24.

I'm not a big Sudafed fan, because dried-up mucus gets impacted in my sinuses and gives me headaches. I prefer Guaifenesin, which thins the mucus and makes it easier to get rid of. When your sinuses become completely clogged, it takes quite a long while for them to clear themselves.

Your energy level should start coming back as you begin eating better, getting more sleep and eventually getting back to your exercise routine. Meanwhile, if it hangs on and on, I'd talk to a doctor about it.

Guaifenesin 1200mg has helped me in the past for my pollen allergies. I have my regular 6 month check up with my PCP on 4/11/24. We also run comprehensive blood tests every 6 months. They were all in the clear last time.

Seeing a PCP is probably a good idea. He could run some tests.

On 4/11/24.

Sorry to hear it you got sick. Since you work from home, maybe you can get a few hours a day in so you don't have to burn all your vacation time. Also, check your benefits, maybe you have a short term disability policy that can kick in.

Lots of viruses can sometimes cause long lasting and nasty side effects. But every person and every case is different. I had the plain old flu a few years ago and I tried going back to work after two weeks, but that was a bad idea, I went back home and spent another two weeks in bed. My wife got the same thing from the same source as was on her feet in a couple days.

The idea of going to the PCP is reasonable, sometimes extended congestion from one infection can cause something else to set in or extended coughing can irritate everything to where a steroid would help. But most likely, the doctor is going to advise you to keep resting and to keep them informed how it's going.

If you have OCD and/or anxiety, then it makes sense that you are feeling a bit more hypersensitive to your symptoms. Doing the calming exercises that I hope a doctor or therapist has taught you is a great thing to focus on now. Slow, soft breathing, warm baths with Epsom salt, watching something light and/or funny, even watching youtube videos of animal antics or babies laughing...anything that will help you get off the worry "track" that you're on right now will be helpful. When one is feeling anxious it's good to just name it for what it is and then connect with a part of you that doesn't get anxious. Maybe the part of you that is really good at something (the Gamer or the Fisherman or the Beauty Lover)...Let that part of you have center stage for a while. All the while, you will begin to feel better and your immune system will respond favorably. It's going to be okay; you've got this!

I maybe exaggerating on panic mode but I do have OCD/Anxiety and take medication for that. I am going for my regular PCP appointment on 4/11/24.

You might consider seeing your PCP as soon as possible instead of waiting 11 more days.

Sorry to hear it you got sick. Since you work from home, maybe you can get a few hours a day in so you don't have to burn all your vacation time. Also, check your benefits, maybe you have a short term disability policy that can kick in.

Lots of viruses can sometimes cause long lasting and nasty side effects. But every person and every case is different. I had the plain old flu a few years ago and I tried going back to work after two weeks, but that was a bad idea, I went back home and spent another two weeks in bed. My wife got the same thing from the same source as was on her feet in a couple days.

The idea of going to the PCP is reasonable, sometimes extended congestion from one infection can cause something else to set in or extended coughing can irritate everything to where a steroid would help. But most likely, the doctor is going to advise you to keep resting and to keep them informed how it's going.

Since I got sick I did use about 13 hours of my sick time.

I do have STD but really don’t want to go that route. As I feel more and more lazy the more I stay on my bed.

If you have OCD and/or anxiety, then it makes sense that you are feeling a bit more hypersensitive to your symptoms. Doing the calming exercises that I hope a doctor or therapist has taught you is a great thing to focus on now. Slow, soft breathing, warm baths with Epsom salt, watching something light and/or funny, even watching youtube videos of animal antics or babies laughing...anything that will help you get off the worry "track" that you're on right now will be helpful. When one is feeling anxious it's good to just name it for what it is and then connect with a part of you that doesn't get anxious. Maybe the part of you that is really good at something (the Gamer or the Fisherman or the Beauty Lover)...Let that part of you have center stage for a while. All the while, you will begin to feel better and your immune system will respond favorably. It's going to be okay; you've got this!

I have been taking Paroxetine for about 15 years now. As high as 60mg and as low as 25mg. Currently, at 37.5mg. Also have BDD which has the OCD symptoms. Mom is very supportive. She made chicken soup for me.

At some point, you have to take the time to heal. There will always be work to do. As far as your company is concerned, they will figure it out. They do it all the time when they let people go. Focus on getting better.

You might consider seeing your PCP as soon as possible instead of waiting 11 more days.
May I ask why?
At some point, you have to take the time to heal. There will always be work to do. As far as your company is concerned, they will figure it out. They do it all the time when they let people go. Focus on getting better.

Are you trying to tell me is that they will let me go because of COVID?

I’ve had Covid twice now- each time it kicked my ass. I have three shots in me, it’s hell for about 4 days; cough, congestion, wicked fever and aches. Then like a switch being thrown, I start to feel significantly better each day. I’d definitely take rest, it will run its course and you’ll start to feel better. If you don’t feel better, get your ass to the doctor. I’m 58 with a little high BP and carrying extra weight.

I’ve had Covid twice now- each time it kicked my ass. I have three shots in me, it’s hell for about 4 days; cough, congestion, wicked fever and aches. Then like a switch being thrown, I start to feel significantly better each day. I’d definitely take rest, it will run its course and you’ll start to feel better. If you don’t feel better, get your ass to the doctor. I’m 58 with a little high BP and carrying extra weight.

Did you get all your shots plus the boosters? When will that switch turn for me? Is it like instant? I thought it was a slow process?

After how many days do you feel more normal?
I am 46, fit, 19% body fat, normal BP. Everything else normal.

Did you get all your shots plus the boosters? When will that switch turn for me? Is it like instant? I thought it was a slow process?

After how many days do you feel more normal?
I am 46, fit, 19% body fat, normal BP. Everything else normal.

I only have the original two part Pfizer shots and the booster after that. On or about the fourth day is when I phase out of the sickest stuff. Cough, aches and fever etc. then I just feel “sick” but it’s so much better than the previous days. Probably a good 10 days till I’m back to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom