Weird food

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Many of us have had favorite food items that others would look askance at. But we don't really care; we just happen to like them.

This came up recently at our house. I mentioned that one of my favorite meals when I was young was a peanut butter and sardine sandwich on rye bread.

Alas, DW said that just made chills run down her spine. But for me, it has always been a real treat. I ate a ton of those sandwiches while going to college, and many more during subsequent years.

What meal have you always enjoyed that makes others cringe?

I love squid in it's own ink.

I like to make sandwiches of melted sharp Wisconsin cheddar and cornichon pickles. It's actually a classic type of grilled cheese sandwich but doubt I could get anyone I know to go for it.

I like to make sandwiches of melted sharp Wisconsin cheddar and cornichon pickles. It's actually a classic type of grilled cheese sandwich but doubt I could get anyone I know to go for it.

I'm from Wisconsin so even though I haven't had that before, I would definitely give it a try.

Rawburger, bought at butcher shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Rawburger, bought at butcher shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I THINK I've gotten DH out of the habit of pulling off a chunk of ground beef from the grocery store package and eating it with a little salt and pepper.[emoji79]

When we went to Paris last year, we had lunch at the Louvre. DH ordered steak tartare and the waiter asked multiple times if DH understood it wasn't cooked. Guess who had the runs that night.

And he thinks I'm weird because I love raw oysters.

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. Pretty tame in comparison!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It seems that's a British thing. At least, I have read about such sannies in novels I've read that are set in the British isles. Pickles fill in the cracks.

My dad's favorite was peanut butter, mayo, and onions on white bread. It disgusted me to make those horrible things, but ya know, I'd happily do it again if I could, now.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise on any kind of bread....sometimes I add bacon. My great uncle ( and aunt) taught at Pepperdine and he introduced me to this sandwich.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise on any kind of bread....sometimes I add bacon. My great uncle ( and aunt) taught at Pepperdine and he introduced me to this sandwich.

Well, you're the only others I've ever heard tell of eating such a combo. But you need to try it with onions!

Many of us have had favorite food items that others would look askance at. But we don't really care; we just happen to like them.

Steaks cooked Texan style (i.e. extra well done) Almost crispy.

This came up recently at our house. I mentioned that one of my favorite meals when I was young was a peanut butter and sardine sandwich on rye bread.

Alas, DW said that just made chills run down her spine. But for me, it has always been a real treat. I ate a ton of those sandwiches while going to college, and many more during subsequent years.

As a coincidence, I had sardines for the first time today. Smelled awful, but didn't taste too bad (they were in mustard sauce). I started eating them for the omega-3's. After reading your post, I will eat them with peanut butter on toast next time.

Peanut butter and butter sandwiches.

I ate a lot of weird stuff at a Sushi Bar in NYC several years ago when entertaining a Korean client. I have no idea what I ate, but most of it was raw and chased with shots of Saki. I do remember the bill for $900 we dropped in that place (3 of us).

Fortunately, I lived to tell the story, what I can remember about it, anyway.

A lot of food here in Texas is not weird for this place (raw oysters, rattlesnake, etc).

Raw pig liver, dipped in the most divine sauce made simply of oil and sea salt. This was in Korea.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Nothing too weird for me I guess.

Folks at work used to think that when I ate cottage cheese with salsa that was weird. Also no one else I know drinks buttermilk or eats plain unsweetened yogurt. I like kimchi, too, and will drink sauerkraut juice but these things also do not appeal to my friends.

I remember peanut butter and mayo sandwiches as a kid in Ohio- no onions, though.

And I just had kimchi yesterday- I've got a jar of it in my refrigerator!

Nothing too weird for me I guess.

Folks at work used to think that when I ate cottage cheese with salsa that was weird. Also no one else I know drinks buttermilk or eats plain unsweetened yogurt. I like kimchi, too, and will drink sauerkraut juice but these things also do not appeal to my friends.

Drinking sauerkraut juice is the worst thing i've see so far. Reading that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Then I swallowed it and that probably tasted better than drinking sauerkraut juice.

Minus the sauerkraut juice, I like all of these things. I eat plain unsweetened yogurt several times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Raw duck liver is a tasty morsel. As a kid and even now I like leftover pancakes slathered in peanut butter and then rolled up or folded in half like a taco. Thick slice of raw onion on buttered rye bread makes for a great sandwich too.

My mom used to eat PB & mayo + lunchean meat (bologna, liverwurst, whatever she could find) sandwiches. She claimed the mayo made the PB not stick to the roof of her mouth. I had the occasional bite of her sandwich and they were ok - but not my preference.

When our parents weren't looking we'd somtimes make 'butter' and sugar sandwiches. These were made with spreadable margerine (because this was the late 60's early 70's and that was considered the health choice back then.) and spoonfuls of white sugar. I'll admit the idea NOW seems exceptionally gross.

We eat all kinds of ethnic food in our house - and even our kids love it. Some of my kids friends have very limited ranges of food that they'll eat.

Fried bologna sandwich, with bright yellow mustard, on fluffy white Wonder bread

Back
Top Bottom