Join Early Retirement Today

Weird things people eat around the world
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weird things people eat around the world

The Weird Things People Eat Around the World - Gadling

My favorites at the top of the second page.

What weird things do we eat here in the US? Besides Spam...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lutefisk. Headcheese. Fish jerky. Limburger cheese. White Castle sliders. Jello. Jello with vegetables in it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some would consider crawfish weird, but they're really yummy! Ya haven't lived, 'til you've been to a Cajun crawfish boil!!! (notice my avatar of the crawfish playing the squeezebox?!)

Or how about menudo.....soup made from a cow's stomach.

Or cow's tongue....we had that once in a while at home when I was a kid. It's actually pretty good in tacos down at the Mexican restaurant...order the "lengua".

My Dad used to absolutely LOVE fried hog brains! They were GROSS! I will NEVER eat them again!!! YUCK!!! And to go along with that, my buddy really likes mountain oysters. But I have to draw a line somewhere!!! And that would be the place for the line!!! There's just some parts of the animals anatomy that I will NOT....under any circumstance....eat!!! Not even ONCE!!!

I did, however, enjoy going to the buddy's house for a nice breakfast of biscuits & gravy, and fried squirrel. Or a church potluck where he'd bring bar-b-qued raccoon, as his 'dish-to-pass'! Now THAT's good eatin'!!!

Pan-fried beef heart is another one that's pretty good....as long as it isn't overcooked and becomes 'shoe-leather' tough.

And going back to the crawfish boil, how about a side of deep fried 'gator to go with that?! YUMMY!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Jello with headcheese in it?

Desperately trying to not make another spotted dick joke.

How about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamb and mint.jpg (45.3 KB, 121 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #5

There are Asian countries where they still eat dogs and in Thailand they eat the brains from a live monkey.

A Chinese associate said his grandmother once told him that in China they eat anything with legs except the kitchen table.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #6

Those Ore-Ida "funky fries" (chocolate french fries on p.2) look pretty darn disgusting.

I knew a guy from Kentucky where folks occasionally ate bulls' testicles.

Squirrel? Armadillo?

A corn dog would likely be wierd to someone outside the US. Marshmallows are unheard-of/non-existent in Italy.. so Marshmallow Fluff would be wierd, or a Hostess Sno-ball. "Combos" are fairly wierd. Space Food Sticks were wierd.

I also don't personally know any Italian that has ever eaten peanut butter. My husband thinks it is repulsive and won't even taste a tiny smidgen. He doesn't even like to look at it.

Gooey salad dressings would gross them out (me too). Also most combinations of sweet/salty; BBQ, PB&J, Cracker Jack/Beer Nuts, baked beans, bacon or sausage with maple syrup, "honey" ham, salt-water taffy, etc. would all be non-starters. They hate cilantro and dill almost universally, and most don't like heavily-spiced things like gingerbread or baked goods with lots of cinnamon or cloves, either.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Shoofly pie !!!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #8

martha, i've heard of the jello w/ veggies - but what veggies are exactly used? and w/ the fruit flavored jello or just the gelatin?

I saw emeril make a post thanksgiving gelatin mold of the turkey leftovers and i have to say it looked pretty gnarly.

the "haw" on the list is a fruit - (uh,like the one on the package!) and it's very sweet. you can get little dried coin slivers at the chinese market...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

cabage, celery, peppers and carrots are all often featured in vegetable jello molds...

Mustard is also often added to the jello.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I knew a guy from Kentucky where folks occasionally ate bulls' testicles.
A.K.A. - mountain oysters

YUCK!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The popular vegetable jello molds where I grew up usually had shredded carrot and string beans. Maybe some celery. And a few globs of cream cheese. Not half bad.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #12

Durian fruit. Ever had it? I bought some durian fruit flavored creme wafer cookies at the asian grocery store this weekend. Holy crap did those things smell nasty. I'm talking rotten rancid chicken fat baking in the hot sun for 3 days nasty. I've had fresh durian before it got really ripe, but that stuff really ripe is awful!

My little asian babies love eating dried candied sardines (again, from the asian market). And squid jerky. How about any of the assortment of shrimp flavored crackers and cookies (those are actually pretty tasty!)?

My in-laws eat a dish that is basically congealed cow blood (raw) minced with fresh herbs and spices.

Weird US things? Deep fried Snickers. Really pungent cheeses (fresh parmesan) are considered weird by the in-laws (and wife). Plus blue cheese or any cheese with mold on it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget fruitcake. With those nasty candied fruits.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Our kid covers just about any fruit slice with li hing mui powder-- yecch. Plum, licorice, salt, sugar, & food coloring. It's part of her "please send this stuff to me when I'm on the Mainland" list.

But it's probably better than crack seed...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #15

ok, i googled a few recipes and looks like it's usually lemon or lime jello with celery, carrots or other veggies - some have mayo and other ingredients i'm finding challenging to imagine the combo...sounds like an empty the pantry recipe!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
ok, i googled a few recipes and looks like it's usually lemon or lime jello with celery, carrots or other veggies - some have mayo and other ingredients i'm finding challenging to imagine the combo...sounds like an empty the pantry recipe!
You put the blob of mayo on top.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread...

Mayo goes on three things: tuna fish, chicken sandwiches and BLT's. NOTHING ELSE!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

the limit of four emoticons in a post is dumb.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So is that 30 second limit between posts.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Durian fruit. Ever had it? I bought some durian fruit flavored creme wafer cookies at the asian grocery store this weekend. Holy crap did those things smell nasty. I'm talking rotten rancid chicken fat baking in the hot sun for 3 days nasty. I've had fresh durian before it got really ripe, but that stuff really ripe is awful!
Consider yourself lucky! Durian is an expensive acquired taste. This is probably one of the most expensive fruit around. I love it, but boy, is it expensive!