What am I bid for this crummy, yet topical, book?

Indeed, they are the best part! I'm just thinking about the (probably few and far between) people who bought the thing and are sorry they threw it away :)

I especially liked the customer reviews.

I’m sure there are more reviews than actual readers already. It could get ugly if it hasn’t already.

Why crummy? It looked like the only real review from 1999, gave it 5 stars.

I sold several books on Amazon in an attempt to clean out my home office. I actually made a good amount of money doing it.

I had acquired some obscure book that a co-worker had given me years ago. Really whacked out stuff. For fun, I looked up the book and found that an identical book sold on Amazon for $975! (I had almost thrown it out).

I put it on and within a day got $850 for it. You just never know.

Why crummy? It looked like the only real review from 1999, gave it 5 stars.

There is also this bad “real” review at the OP’s link by the New York Times Book Review, presumably published when the book first appeared, so crummy is probably not far off the mark:
This is well-traveled territory, and Judge's writing does not allow for any interesting detour.... While his candor and perseverance are admirable, his experiences here are even less interesting than his thin yarns of Catholic-school shenanigans…. In the end, Wasted does stand as a cautionary tale--not necessarily for alcoholics, but for anyone who wants to write about alcoholism. -- The New York Times Book Review, Michael Newman

From a reviewer on Amazon:

... it's a story of rich kid(s) living their life of privilege, which I cannot quite relate to (way back when or now), since I am from a different background

Yep, that's what I feel. Can't relate. Not interested.

From a reviewer on Amazon:

Yep, that's what I feel. Can't relate. Not interested.

Same with a bunch of these movies that keep coming out. How many mid-life crisis movies with juvenile middle aged adults can they make?

Same with a bunch of these movies that keep coming out. How many mid-life crisis movies with juvenile middle aged adults can they make?

As long as there's demand from juvenile middle-aged movie watchers? :rolleyes:

I sold several books on Amazon in an attempt to clean out my home office. I actually made a good amount of money doing it.

I had acquired some obscure book that a co-worker had given me years ago. Really whacked out stuff. For fun, I looked up the book and found that an identical book sold on Amazon for $975! (I had almost thrown it out).

I put it on and within a day got $850 for it. You just never know.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Obviously I missed the entire point of this thread. DW might be right: I am an idiot.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Obviously I missed the entire point of this thread. DW might be right: I am an idiot.

That's OK. I only wish I missed the point of this thread. :)

Sometimes, ignorance (in the literal, not judgemental sense), can be bliss.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom