What are these things?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am wintering in SW FLorida. FWIW, there's a very high water table here and mostly sandy soil.

As I have driven up and down Tamiami Trail (aka US-41) in my area, I have spotted these cement things (roughly look to be about the size and shape of a fat water heater, with a u-shaped 'handle' on one end) in a large pile alongside the road. A week or so later, I see that single units have been distributed along the roadside, many feet apart and on both sides of the road. The traffic cones nearby might give you a sense of scale.

I have no idea what these are nor what they are used for. I've never seen any workers around them, so there's not been anyone to ask. :confused: Since we have such a wealth of knowledgeable people here, I'm hoping someone can put my curiosity to rest.

FWIW, there's always some sort of work being done on (or next to) US-41 as it is the major thoroughfare in these parts. I'm guessing these objects might be related to water distribution, sewage lines, water runoff/drainage, electric lines, internet/cable, etc.

omni

Attachments

• cement thingie pile.jpg
    cement thingie pile.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 98
  • cement thingie.jpg
    cement thingie.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 93
They have 4 protruding bolts, presumably where the base of a light pole will be attached.

These appear to be bases for light poles. Keep an eye on the progress and let us know.

Maybe the mob is back in town?

Maybe mountainsoft from the other thread can get some of that hard water.

Last edited:
Ya'll crack me up.

Wish DH and I were in FL right now. These concrete things would just be a bonus.

Interesting. I've never seen precast light pole bases before. I agree with others - they are light pole bases. You can see the bolt pattern on the tops where the light poles would be fastened. The hooped part would be on the bottom - probably use the hoop to unload. They should have holes in the side where the electrical conduit attaches. Probably need this type in Florida due to the high ground water table- construction crews wouldn't be able to construct the rebar cage and bolt assembly under water.

Why so many light poles when Florida is known as the Sunshine State?

All Florida drivers are old, and need extra light to drive after sunset.

Thanks, y'all, for the explanations, drawings, photos, along with the witty repartee! :flowers:

You guys crack me up. :LOL:

Bases for light poles makes total sense. (Now I need to check out the current lighting situation.)

omni

Just got back from an after-dark drive in the section of road where I spotted these concrete light-post bases being stored/distributed.

Other than at the major intersections, there aren't any street lights along this section of US-41. There's a large mall nearby and plenty of other retail, all of which have a lot of lighting. There are completely dark (unlit) sections of road near the yet-undeveloped plots of land.

omni

Further confirmation....

In the local freebie newspaper, I just saw an article about Florida DOT installing LED lighting (with a 25-year lifespan) along a 5.25-mile stretch of roadway which includes the area where I spotted these cement cylinders.

Looks like you guys are spot-on! :flowers:

omni

Back
Top Bottom