What are we reading ?

Thanks all for some great suggestions. I'm another one of those who is still working so I don't get to read as much as I'd like to.

I'm currently in the middle of "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. For those of us non-science types who barely scraped through high school physics and chemistry it is clear, easily readable, and written at the perfect level to get a basic understanding of such concepts as quantum physics and the current theories about the start of life.

I usually alternate between fiction and non-fic. I recently finished a great fiction book called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan about two girls in rural China in the 1800's. I couldn't put it down. Water for Elephants is up next, but I think I'm also going to pick up Atonement by McEwan as it has gotten so much buzz.

I usually alternate between fiction and non-fic.

Variety is a good thing. I might be taking it to the extreme, since today I am engrossed in both The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing, and the Bible, and going back and forth from one to the other.

I re-read much of Genesis this morning, having just received the new Bible I ordered last week when the Bible thread inspired me to send off for one. Genesis is just PACKED with tidbits and does not lend itself to rushing through if one wants to think about anything. I think I'll probably go back and re-read and study it some.

Meanwhile I'm skipping back and forth to the Larimore et al. Bogleheads book, and have covered another 100 pages of it too. I really think it may be the best introduction to investing I have read to date.

Yes, I'm a Gemini, in case anyone believes in that stuff, and I suppose that today I am acting like one! :rolleyes:

Now reading Younger Next Year.

Finished Atonement last night. Great read!
Before that, I read Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. Very moving.

Now reading Younger Next Year.
T-Al,
I've read this book and I liked it. It's written by an old guy and a young doctor. Basic premise is don't act your age. Spinning classes, extreme exercise are all recommended, and they especially recommend maintaining connections with other people as you get older. They even have a web site. Please let us know what you think about the book.

Younger Next Year - Turn Back Your Biological Clock

T-Al,
I've read this book and I liked it. It's written by an old guy and a young doctor. Basic premise is don't act your age. Spinning classes, extreme exercise are all recommended, and they especially recommend maintaining connections with other people as you get older.

Heaven forbid if anyone enjoys peace, quiet, and solitude in retirement! :rant:

Oh well. I suppose SOME connections are important in order to avoid the "fallen and I can't get up" scenario. And, I'd rather not have my dead body found months after my eventual demise. But still, it does not sound very appealing to me to have someone who doesn't even know me recommend maintaining connections with other people in my old age. Sounds pushy.

Finished Atonement last night. Great read!
Before that, I read Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. Very moving.

I tried to read Atonement and hated it so much I couldn't get past page 20, I never finished it. I hear the film has great review by critics, but everyone I know who has gone to see the movie hasn't liked it. It has been described as being like The English Patient but more boring.

"Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books," Azar Nafisi

Oh well. I suppose SOME connections are important in order to avoid the "fallen and I can't get up" scenario. And, I'd rather not have my dead body found months after my eventual demise. But still, it does not sound very appealing to me to have someone who doesn't even know me recommend maintaining connections with other people in my old age. Sounds pushy.

Written by extroverts who are afraid of being alone?

Unless You & Frank break up I think you are safe from that fear !

I tried to read Atonement and hated it so much I couldn't get past page 20, I never finished it. I hear the film has great review by critics, but everyone I know who has gone to see the movie hasn't liked it. It has been described as being like The English Patient but more boring.

That's about how far I got with the book also. I thought the movie rang false.

Written by extroverts who are afraid of being alone?

Probably! Pushy, domineering ones who feel defensive about their fear of solitude, too, and want EVERYBODY to share that fear whether they want to or not!. :rant:

Unless You & Frank break up I think you are safe from that fear !

True. Even though we both appreciate the freedom to spend time alone (as well as other time that we spend together), I doubt that I would have to worry about my rotting corpse only being discovered by the city six months after I die. I really don't see much point in keeping up many other connections, though.

OK, today I am reading All About Asset Allocation by Richard A. ("Rick") Ferri who is also over at the Bogleheads forum. So far so good, though pul-eeze, I am already familiar with statistical correlation. But he makes some good points, like how you should WRITE DOWN your asset allocation once determined, and stick to it. One would think he was peering over my shoulder. :p

Last edited:
T-Al,
I've read this book and I liked it. It's written by an old guy and a young doctor. Basic premise is don't act your age. Spinning classes, extreme exercise are all recommended, and they especially recommend maintaining connections with other people as you get older. They even have a web site. Please let us know what you think about the book.

Younger Next Year - Turn Back Your Biological Clock
Just finished it yesterday. I highly recommend it, although there are some things I don't completely agree with. I think Nords did a book review on it.

How it's changing my life:

• I'm trying to exercise 6 days per week instead of 4. Really don't want to, but they've got me convinced it will be worth it.
  • Weight training.
  • Have always eaten healthfully, but will make some changes.
Things they strongly recommend, but that I won't do

• Join a health club -- not practical or frugal, and it's not my kind of thing
  • Buy a heart rate monitor -- I can measure my throat pulse even while running
  • Join clubs and do lots of social stuff -- I don't swing that way
  • Explore my spirituality -- no thanks
  • Buy a new bicycle -- I've got a great bike which is not as efficient or light as the newer ones, but burning calories is the goal here
  • Shave every morning -- no, sorry

Last edited:
Thanks Al. The takeaway I got was to exercise most days and push it a little. I don't use a heart rate monitor either, other than what the treadmill tells me. I've got an old bike and I sure as h*ll don't explore my spirituality. Anyway, thanks.

My cynical self warns me if the 73-year guy, Chris, drops dead anytime soon, well, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Join a health club -- not practical or frugal, and it's not my kind of thing

Try 24 Hour Fitness. At my local club, I had been a member three years. At time to renew they said if I prepaid for three years, then on renewal I could renew for $20 PER YEAR and that renewal rate would be GOOD FOR LIFE!!

I have renewed twice since then and it has indeed been $20 per year.

24 Hour is nationwide, so if they offer that deaL here they likely offer it everywhere.

One trainer told me they can afford to do this because the average new member actually comes to the gym for about six weeks then is never to be seen again. So they reward the folks who actually show up year after year with this incredible renewal deal. Plus they get lots of referrals for new members from their diehard, year-after-year renewed members who for sure believe in the benefits of what a gym such as 24 Hour Fitness offers. I guess the "satisfied customer" testimonial theory.

Try 24 Hour Fitness. At my local club, I had been a member three years. At time to renew they said if I prepaid for three years, then on renewal I could renew for $20 PER YEAR and that renewal rate would be GOOD FOR LIFE!!

I have renewed twice since then and it has indeed been $20 per year.

24 Hour is nationwide, so if they offer that deaL here they likely offer it everywhere.

What a great deal!!

Unfortunately, according to the club locator on their website they have no clubs within 50 miles of either my present location (New Orleans, Louisiana), or my planned ER location (Springfield, Missouri). Oh well!! C'est la vie. That would have been a terrific deal.

However, my present gym does offer reduced rates (70%) for those willing to attend during limited hours (basically, those weekday hours during which working people usually cannot attend, plus limited Saturday hours). So, I guess I will take advantage of that after ER, until we can manage the move to Springfield.

Just finished it yesterday. I highly recommend it, although there are some things I don't completely agree with. I think Nords did a book review on it.

How it's changing my life:
  • I'm trying to exercise 6 days per week instead of 4. Really don't want to, but they've got me convinced it will be worth it. I plan to do this too in ER, though while working I seem to only exercise 3-4 days per week. :(
  • Weight training. I love, love, LOVE weight training! My kind of fun.
  • Have always eaten healthfully, but will make some changes. I'll have to read this book. Right now, I think I am eating mostly healthy food although I DID have a piece of King Cake yesterday at work.
Things they strongly recommend, but that I won't do
  • Join a health club -- not practical or frugal, and it's not my kind of thing It's my kind of thing, and I belong to a good one.
  • Buy a heart rate monitor -- I can measure my throat pulse even while running Would love to have one! I am no good at the throat pulse measuring. This is definitely on the list for "what to do with my economic stimulus money".
  • Join clubs and do lots of social stuff -- I don't swing that way Me, either! Ugh.
  • Explore my spirituality -- no thanks I do a lot of this - - introspection and centering and such.
  • Buy a new bicycle -- I've got a great bike which is not as efficient or light as the newer ones, but burning calories is the goal here All I have is an exercycle right now. Maybe after ER.
  • Shave every morning -- no, sorry (I'm of the beardless gender)

Last edited:
Do you read cookbooks? DW says they might as well be SciFi...after she reads a recipe she thinks, "Yeah, like that's gonna really happen!". :)

yes, French Laundry is a very good one. Man's Search for Meaning is very powerful.

reading now (yes, bouncer here):
Taming the Spirited Child
The Optomistic Child
Kiterunner
The Art of the Long View
Wealth and Democracy
and From Wall Street to the Great Wall

Back
Top Bottom