What are we reading ?

"Claytie". Hey, don't laugh. If this guy hadn't screwed up in his race against Ann Richards for TX governor, Dubya might have never run for political office. Then we'd all be bitching about some other president...;)

Just finished 'Rescuing Sprite' by Mark Levin. About a rescue dog his family adopted. Very moving since Sprite was near the end of his life.

Also read 'T is for Trespass' by Sue Grafton. Much better than her last book. A couple of things bothered me, but they were minor.

Getting ready to start Clive Cussler's new book 'The Chase'.

I love the Sue Grafton novels. I thought T for Trespass was a good one, her novels always makes for some entertaining reading.

The only thing I don't like about the Grafton novels is that they are stuck in time, she still is living in the 1980s. I prefer Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone, who at least has done some aging, albeit slower than the calender.

The only thing I don't like about the Grafton novels is that they are stuck in time, she still is living in the 1980s. I prefer Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone, who at least has done some aging, albeit slower than the calender.

I never thought about it that way but you are right .She's had the same VW and one black dress since A is for Alibi .

Finished Prizzi's Money (Richard Condon) -- OK, but not great.
Reading Gunslinger (Stephen King) -- weird so far.

Just finished "Chosen Prey" by John Sandford. The best part is I grew up in Minneapolis and am familiar with the locations. Several years ago,in another of his novels, I figured out that the killer was running from the law through the apartment building where my daughter lived, while in college! Strange!

Take On The Street by Arthur Levitt-I have put it down due to the holidays and traveling. I am getting ready to leave on a cruise and this is not the type of book to take on a cruise. I love seeing what everyone is reading though and it gives me new ideas.

"Spook" and "Stiff" by Mary Roach; I would recommend both
Have going currently "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis (gift from sis.. very English) and
"Wittgenstein's Mistress" by David Markson, which is eerily mesmerizing

War in the Woods by Mart Laar

Book Description

With the Soviet reoccupation after World War II, Estonians faced a choice of submitting to Communist puppets or trying to survive in the traditional refuge of their forests while waiting for help from the West which never came. Those who chose the second course, Estonia's "Forest Brothers," mounted an armed resistance which, for more than a decade, seriously challenged Soviet rule. This is their story, told for the first time by sources within Estonia. This account is drawn from interviews with Forest Brothers who survived and relatives of those who died, and from documents and photographs from Soviet KGB files. It reflects Estonian courage and humor, the faith and sacrifice of a people suppressed, and the indomitable determination of a free nation to regain independence.

Black Wind - Clive Cussler (have "The Chase" and "Treasure of Khan" by Cussler waiting to be read)
Several woodworking magazines
2 books on customizing Google Maps

I'm reading "Eureka" by Jim Lehrer and am highly disappointed. It's set in Kansas, and as I like to do, I get out the atlas for geographical reference. He's got the towns on the wrong highways, and towns are misplaced by distance and location. Jeez, do some research for gosh sakes. Another rant on time & distance; I'll be reading a book and it will say something like: "The cop identified the bad guy coming down the road about 300-400 yards away." Well, if you can identify somebody who's 4 football fields away then you've got a lot better eyesight than I do. I mostly read fiction thrillers and mysteries, but I want it to make sense.

Mostly magazine articles, and internet stuff.

Recently read 'Freakonomics' (some eye-openers in that one), just finished 'Omnivore's Dilemma' (might start a thread on that later - four separate but related interesting points are made regarding our food supply). Reading 'The World is Flat' now (refers to the global economy - not a 'flat earth' fruitcake).

Last year, I skimmed 'On the Origin of Species' (really slow for me, but I did learn some interesting things - I was surprised how much of what Darwin learned was from observing the results of pigeon breeders in England, rather than from his voyages), and read most of 'The Voyage of the HMS Beagle' (fascinating and scary - wow has life changed since the 1850's!).

For some reason, I can rarely read anything just for 'enjoyment'. If I'm not learning something from it, I get bored. I guess I'm a bit ADD - magazine articles appeal more to me - bite size chunks.

-ERD50

Despair and Hope(?)

Finished Boiling Point by Ross Gelbspan a couple of weeks ago. It's about global warming.

Just finished A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence by Ferenc Mate

Will be starting Hubbert's Peak next by Kenneth Deffeyes

How To Retire Early and Live Well on Less Than a Million Dollars. I know........I'm probably the last one on this board to read it!

Will be starting Hubbert's Peak next by Kenneth Deffeyes
This is the book that converted me completely to the peak oil thesis. I was aware of King Hubberts's ideas, already invested heavily in energy, but this book gave me much more confidence to ride out the downturns and remain heavily invested. I also read his sequel- I believe it is called Beyond Oil.

Additionally, Deffeyes is an attractive person with a folksy non-preachy writing style.

I just finished reading a book that Martha recommended- Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me. Excellent book about social psychology and the engines of self justification and delusion.

My current reading other than SEC filings is a spy novel set in Europe in the years leading up to WW2. Dark Star is its name and Alan Furst its author. I plan to read all his books over time.

Ha

Last edited:
"Steve Goodman - Facing the Music". Biography of singer-songwriter Steve Goodman written by Clay Eals. Looong, almost 800 pages, but good.

Will be following up by re-reading "positively 4th Street." The lives and times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Farina and Richard Farina by David Hajdu.

I'm reading "Mayflower." It sort of reads like a textbook, so it's a bit dry. One thing I've learned so far: it wasn't wise to disagree with those early Puritian settlers. The Quakers were pretty cool, however.

Alex Doulis' (the Canadian tax-expat) books (for amusement only):
Books - AlexDoulis.com

Lonely Planet's latest edition of their Venezuela guide.

"PC Annoyances".

Free-BSD installation notes.

Just finished "The Winter of Frankie Machine", by Don Winslow. A pretty good pot-boiler sort-of-detective novel.

Several others in a stack by the bed. Real Soon Now.

Thanks for all the great ideas ! I've already ordered several of the books and I've found some new authors .

"How to Parlay your IRA Into a Family Fortune", by Ed Slott.........

Back
Top Bottom