What are you wearing in retirement ?

I did hear of one motorcycle officer who wore pantyhose as a base layer in cold weather. This was discovered when he was in an accident and the ER staff had to fight him to get his pants off.

The thing that made it so memorable was not that he wore the pantyhose (perfectly understandable) but his reaction to being "outed". That made the ribbing merciless. Had he simply said "Yeah, I wore 'em because it's cold outside" no one would have said or thought much of it.

In the winter it's blue jeans, what ever shirt or t-shirt is handy, and runnng shoes. In the summer it's shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. There are 13 sport coats, a tux, and a handmade kilt w/ Prince Charlie jacket in the closet but I rarely get a chance to wear any of them now. Not that I'm thinking about it.

Cheers!

Going out in public: Flipflops as soon as the temps hit 65, boots or gym shoes below. Jeans. Tees. Cardigans. Cute scarves and earrings.

Staying home: llbean slippers, fleece or yoga pants, tees, fleece top (thermostat at 65 most days).

Always: a smile because it's good to be retired!

I also ask my friends to call me before stopping by my house so that I can put on a bra.

Some things cannot be unseen.

I also ask my friends to call me before stopping by my house so that I can put on a bra..
Me too......it drives my wife crazy. ;)

I'm wearing what I wore my entire working life: Blue jeans, T-shirts, casual shirts, non-white dress shirts, Hawaiian shirts, tennis shoes (trainers to UK folks), sandals, and gym clothes.

There's just more tatters and holes in my clothes than before.

T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. But I was fortunate in that I wore the same combination to w*rk for 34 years; with the exception of days when we had high level visitors. Visitor days it was jeans, sneakers and dress shirt and tie.

Jeans and long sleeve shirt, ballcap all year, leather shoes in spring, summer, fall, canvas/sandals winter.

Gotta be careful of those pesky rattlesnakes nibbling on your toes.

what I like most about dressing in ER is not stressing about buying clothes for work and going out. I'm 59 and have always struggled to be stylish and/or to find my own style.

Now that I don't work or go out as much as I used to, I don't need as many "good" clothes. I can concentrate on a few pieces that I really love. That is true about much of my ER lifestyle! :)

Recently I took on two teaching gigs and it's been hell to figure out what to wear, especially when you're in front of college kids every day. Luckily those gigs will be over in a few weeks.

Give me yoga pants and tee shirts, all day every day.

As I was getting dressed to run errands, I thought of something else I wear, or rather, don't wear in ER...a watch! I generally don't care any more what time it is! The only time I put one on is if I have a couple of appt. type errands and really need to be one time.

Though I have close to a dozen suits in the closet, dozens of oxford button-down dress shirts and close to 100 neck ties next to the suits, I seldom wear more than a tee shirt shorts and NB shoes. My back up outfit includes jeans and cowboy boots.

DW, on occasion, will suggest that I give away all of those unnecessary threads in the closet. My normal reply is~ "To make room for what?"

As I was getting dressed to run errands, I thought of something else I wear, or rather, don't wear in ER...a watch! I generally don't care any more what time it is! The only time I put one on is if I have a couple of appt. type errands and really need to be one time.

+1

I have a beautiful "executive" watch (my father's description) that my parents gave me about 10 years ago. It has a solar battery so it needs to be out in the light periodically to recharge. I went so long between wearings that the battery went completely dead. So the watch now sits in the windowsill :facepalm:

T shirts, flannel shirt as a jacket, exercise pants, jeans. I still work a couple of days a week so have a few suits that I rotate around to wear to work. I probably need more "nice" casual clothes but haven't gotten around to buying any....

Recently I took on two teaching gigs and it's been hell to figure out what to wear, especially when you're in front of college kids every day. Luckily those gigs will be over in a few weeks.

Give me yoga pants and tee shirts, all day every day.
Most (men and women) college profs wear jeans and a shirt when teaching. Rarely do they wear yoga pants.

When they give formal seminars at other colleges or venues, they wear khakis and a shirt. A few will put on a tie.

It is all rather informal nowadays.

Remember there are great organizations that will take interview quality clothing for their clients looking for jobs.

Great idea unfortunately I spent forty years in uniforms or scrubs . I gave away most of them but I kept one pair for an easy halloween costume .

summer: chinos and button down collar oxford short sleeve shirts (I wore these while I was working since about 1977 and they are more comfortable to me than t shirts) and sometimes shorts depending on how hot it gets. Sandals.

Winter: usually one of my two pairs of jeans and whatever shirt is clean. Wearing two pairs of jeans at once does not work. Athletic shoes.

Most (men and women) college profs wear jeans and a shirt when teaching. Rarely do they wear yoga pants.

When they give formal seminars at other colleges or venues, they wear khakis and a shirt. A few will put on a tie.

It is all rather informal nowadays.

Work at State U., research, little teaching. Jeans and polo shirt daily, with khakis if visitors are coming. :)

My boss moved from prof to dept head to dean. Hated wearing ties, like me. When he went to dept head he added blazers to his khakis (still wore nice black sneakers). He resisted ties when he moved to dean but seems to have given in that he needs to do it. :(

Looking forward to retiring so I can go to t-shirts, shorts, and tevas on a daily basis, weather permitting! :D

Back
Top Bottom