Now that you are FIREd, what type of clothes do you wear?

I love this thread. I am renovating my 2nd/retirement home and I just sacrificed about 3 feet of my walk-in closet to go toward the bathroom off the master. 'cause there will be no suits in my closet going forward, and besides that I'd have some shirts to hang, maybe casual dress or two. Woohoo!

I have so many clothes from my working days, I don’t anticipate ever needing to buy any ever again. In fact, I gotta “let some go”.

You people wear clothes?!?

J/k

Good timing on this post as I was just looking at all the long sleeved business casual shirts in my closet and thinking how most, if not all, should be donated. I did get rid of a bunch of slacks and button down shirts when I first RE’d but clearly I didn’t go far enough. But I’m reluctant to buy many new things as I watch the pounds continue to gradually fall off.

I’ve repurposed those business casual shirts: those are standard summer wear for me. Untucked, sleeves rolled up part way, worn with Bermuda shorts and flips or topsiders.

In the winter, swap jeans for the shorts and ditch the flips. Either way, tuck the shirt in for more formal. A bit more stylish than t-shirts and every bit as comfortable.

I’m also not buying anything new unless I have to due to weight loss. Dropped 4” from my waist since RE last June, so am scouting close outs and bargain racks as needed.

I’m so odd. I still dress in business casual, although I have adjusted my style and replaced much of my wardrobe the past few years, after a serious bout of “Marie Kondo” cleanout. (I reduced my worldly possessions to about what would fit in three trips of a Prius...)

Much of the replacement came via thrift stores, naturally. I am ‘gifted’ by living in an area where the better thrifts get never-worn clothing from the closet cleanouts of folks with more money than sense! Designer duds at 80% off!

The ‘business casual’ is because of my continuing to teach classes, training, and doing lectures in retirement, along with quite a bit of work at a church where I am regularly on the chancel.

Pretty Much Casual

65 and retired for 5 years. In the closet I still have a few suits and even a tuxedo from the working days; one suit was worn since retiring for a funeral. Normal attire for going out is cargo pants and casual tops. My yearly shopping trip, if it is even needed, is to pick up underwear and socks at Walmart. As you can see, out of our ~$60K in yearly expenses the clothing line is virtually non-existent when it comes to me. Now the wife on the other hand ...

When thinking about the advantages to being retired, I would say, "I would be so happy if I could buy my entire wardrobe at REI." And now I can, however, I only buy from the clearance racks. For those who aren't familiar, REI is an outdoor outfitter. Hiking and exercise clothes, etc. I haven't actually bought much in the way of wardrobe in three years.

I’ve been retired about eight years now and I’ve noticed that I buy virtually all my clothes (shorts, jeans, tees) on eBay. No more trying things on.

I dress appropriately for the situation. I would not use retirement as an excuse to be a slob and wear a shabby t shirt to a nice dinner party. And I don’t wear athletic clothing. I rarely put on a tie.

I need to buy socks. For almost the first time since I stopped working in 2004.

Back then I bought so many socks - all black - at some sale. And I've only needed to buy socks when travelling. But now they are all getting worn out at the same time.

Every time I put on a pair they have holes when I undress for bed. So they go in the trash. And I pick a new pair the next day. They look OK - no holes. But when I go to bed - worn out. This has been going on for about a year. And I finally start to see the end of my sock drawer.

I wonder if socks have evolved since 2004? Do they have an app?

I need to buy socks. For almost the first time since I stopped working in 2004.

Back then I bought so many socks - all black - at some sale. And I've only needed to buy socks when travelling. But now they are all getting worn out at the same time.

Every time I put on a pair they have holes when I undress for bed. So they go in the trash. And I pick a new pair the next day. They look OK - no holes. But when I go to bed - worn out. This has been going on for about a year. And I finally start to see the end of my sock drawer.

I wonder if socks have evolved since 2004? Do they have an app?

Sounds like a socks emergency! :) I think you should buy a dozen pairs of the best socks you can find, and throw the rest of those old socks away.

I did the same thing with polo shirts. Back around 2006 or 2007 or so, I found that Academy (a sporting goods chain) had nice polo shirts on sale, for $1.44 each. What a bargain! It must have been a mistake. But anyway, that day I bought over two dozen and wore them to work and everywhere else.

Recently they all started looking terribly worn and old, and started getting holes in them, so I threw out all of them and bought new lady's t-shirts from Lands End which I like better anyway.

Funny I just mentioned this to my DW last week, I told her I’m not used to dressing up anymore after I pulled on a pair of 501’s and a polo shirt!

Winter clothes: sweats and socks. Spring through fall: shorts, Tees and flip flops!

It’s nice to be FIRE’d.

the first set of clothes ( that has been washed ), unless i am going for a medical appointment , then i suppose you would call it 'blue-collar ' casual ( flannelette's shirt and jeans and sneakers )

time will tell but i might never need to buy clothes again ( i can always get buried in my fathers suit .. it still fits )

not a very exciting lifestyle but WOW is keeping to the budget easy

Currently in a Hawaiian shirt, and a pair of sports shorts. Been barefoot all day, with some of it on the beach in Southern Florida (DelRay).

Currently in a Hawaiian shirt, and a pair of sports shorts. Been barefoot all day, with some of it on the beach in Southern Florida (DelRay).

That would be a dress outfit for me. :LOL:

I actually spent $150 on underwear last week. Polo woven shorts. Several pair since they were on sale from $28 to $21.

But before you scoff, understand that the last time I bought this same sort of underwear was almost 10 years ago. So they effectively cost me a little more than $1 a month.

Jeans, freebee T-shirt’s I get at bike rallies, a Columbia jacket, and a ball cap. Colors are drab mostly except for the red one for Remember Everyone Deployed (RED) Friday’s.

Last edited:
Not retired, but I mostly wear JC Penny and Kohls. I can't imagine that would change after retiring. I've never paid more than $25 for pants.

I used to work in a large govt office where jeans/T-shirts were the norm (not dealing directly with the public) and that's how I dressed for 30 years. But, since I've retired my wardrobe has gotten far better...I've virtually replaced everything over the last couple of years.

I tossed out dozens of old cotton T-shirts that never quite fit right and replaced them with higher quality Dri-Fit shirts bought at outlets. Not only are they lighter, but they fit better and are more flattering than shapeless T's. Also gone are the old heavy jeans in place of a couple pairs of lighter "stretch" jeans that are far more comfortable.

And, I now have some "stage" clothes...a few items I wear when performing in public. Jeans and T-shirts mostly, but with a "rock and roll" look.

Back
Top Bottom