what brought you out of the closet?

I think I found this board in '04 either from the Retire Early Home Page or 'Googling' retirement. My situation has progressed from desperate to simply anxious since. I am still a contractor working outside the country, but the pay keeps getting better.

I went back to read my first post here. I had been hoping to retire in '06 and also have the kids pay for their own college. Neither happened. Can't retire until I pay off all my debts--basically paying for the kids' college.

This is one of several fora I frequent. The others are on the subject of living in other countries. (I am not sure I like the idea of retiring overseas anymore. There seem to be a lot of disgruntled, alienated Americans living off-shore. Who wants to socialize with them? Those who live in Mexico seem to be the happiest bunch, though.)

Actually, like Wally, I am here for the free coffee.

i had a friend who was being bamboozled by a slimy cousin to buy a vul plan...i found the responses caring, thoughtful and well informed. ironically i think i ended up with a clearer understanding of financial concepts/plans for myself then my friend.

i hung around and found an interesting combination of frugal, smart, funny, grumpy, and gourmet that is not easy to stumble upon on the net. so i stuck around.

Soon after my divorce I stumbled upon FIRECALC and then began reading the forum to learn more about being smart with my finances. I stuck around because of the civility here. No one has responded to any of my posts in a disrespectful manner. In fact, everyone has been very helpful.

Great thread Lazy!

Khan, love the mammoth quote!

It's been almost 2 years to the day since my first post. I had had an inheritance and had been doing a lot of research on building and maintaining wealth. My financial adviser pointed out that the inheritance opened the door to ER if I wanted it. I started Googling.....found the Financial Webring and the old ER forum, and saw references to Firecalc on both. I soon became an avid reader and within a week or two felt compelled to open the closet door when I knew "the answer" to someone's question. My introductory post generated a ton of useful information in a welcoming tone, and the rest is history.

Watch out for mastodons......

I found the forum from the old Greaney site and found FIRECalc helpful in my planning. I lurked for some months before de-cloaking.

The personalities on this board are very unique and most are interesting. I have learned a lot about FI and RE and learned how to spell FIRE here even if I was already there.

The flavor of the board has changed somewhat as old players move out and newer once come on board. Sometimes some of us are not a patient with newcomers as we should be. We were all new here once and had questions for those already here. Sometimes the more tenured posters have little patience for seeing the same question posted 2000 times a year. On the flip side, new members should take some time and look around before jumping with the same old questions.

The board is about people and like most everywhere else in life, most don't play well in the sandbox with others. When this happens the Moderators have to quickly and quietly "discuss" the matter with the offender and with the other Mods so we can be as consistent as we can be. We are all volunteers (everybody else too two steps back) and many of the Mods spend huge amounts of time reading and cleaning up behind the elephant parade started by a poster or two who can't seem to abide by the rules.

For the most part....the majority of posters contribute and keep the board alive and growing. The other 20 % create 80% of the board's problems. Spam control is a huge job. The boad is a natural target for spam because of the relative affluence of the members. Keep reporting it and we will keep a broom handy.

Enjoy the board for what it has to offer. Add suggestions on what you would like to see changed or added. Share what you have learned.

Stay civil to each other and don't let the trolls drag you into the mud to fight...after a while you learn they actually enjoy it.

For the most part....the majority of posters contribute and keep the board alive and growing. The other 20 % create 80% of the board's problems.

That's the Pareto Principle. It applies to every area of life!

The back and forth banter on a great variety of subjects, and the humor kept my interest. Still does. Even when it gets a bit edgy. Some of the edgy stuff is entertaining when viewed with some detachment.
grin.gif
I agree with this assessment. I have occasionally visited other retirement and investing sites. To me, most of them are deathly boring.

Yahoo Finance is mixed- a lot of outspoken and aggressive idiots, and some very experienced and intelligent people. Boards for different stocks have completely different personalities. I go there for info, not for socializing. I used to go to MF REIT board-lots of intelligent people, not much banter but also not boring. The posters are mostly experienced intermediate to long term swing traders of REITs, many whom are also retired. I don't go lately because I sold my REITs a few years ago. I will definitely go back when the time seems right.

But this board is best all around. It has made me think more about sustainability, and keeping watch on my portfolio risk levels which I previously didn't do very well. Also, this board is fun. If I am home, working on something, it is very easy to look at some thread here, and feel that I know the people-it’s almost like getting a phone call from a friend. Last but not least, when I need information I get high quality helpful suggestions from so many people, even about embarrassing topics like housekeeping. (Embarrassing because I should know more about it by this time.)

Ha

Last edited:
IIRC I came across this site from the Retire Early Forum. I know I lurked while still at MegaCorp; in fact I lurked for a year after I retired. Why come out? I couldn't explain why it took me so long. I liked the banter and thought the posters were smart, and wanted to get in on the fun. Whatever I want to discuss or query, somebody here knows a lot more about it than I. People from around the world discussing travel, investments, food, even, ahem, politics.

Also, it gives me a quick reply to "What do you do all day?"

Think I was frustrated at work ca. 2003 and Googled or Yahoo'd on early retirement or some such. Basically, I was looking for calculators to see if I could pull the plug. Found the Greeny site and eventually found myself here. Lurked until retirement in 2005 since posting to discussion groups was one of the 7 deadly sins at my company. Continued to lurk from "borrowed" internet portals (e.g., library, sister, friend, etc.) I had no other internet source at that time, so never came out... until now. Finally got my own 'puter and HS cable so here I am. Feels like home!

Many of you got me through some tuff times back in those dark days. Thanks!

Koolau

Back
Top Bottom