What Did You Eat Today?

I skipped that step [-]because I'm lazy[/-] to save time, and to impart some meatball goodness into the sauce.
NW-Bound said:
Well, my meatballs feed on corn, I believe. They get baked or fried before taking a swim in the sauce.
My sauce gets its own meatiness, being a variant of bolognese meat sauce. :cool: And my meatballs are 50% beef/50% pork.

Breakfast: cold ceral with skim milk
Lunch: whole wheat pasta with home made sauce and two meatballs; vanilla pudding
Dinner: banana, orange, vanilla yogurt
Snack:handfull of pretzels and a few almonds

Breakfast: coffee with sugarfree fresh creamer; oatmeal and skim milk

Lunch: tomato basil chicken (blackened chicken with very hot and spicy Cajun/Italian tomato basil sauce, thick with fresh Creole tomatos, parmesan, and more, all served over angelhair pasta); diet Coke

Dinner: Chinese pepper steak, white rice, water

All this and Weight Watchers still approves... :D Portion size helps!

Last edited:
That weightwatchers points program is great! Since January 17th, I'm down 25 pounds and DH is down 21. Its an easy program to follow and you can eat anything you want as long as you stay within your allotted points. You can't beat it IMO.

Fried cheese is highly recommended. It's easy to do if you put grated cheese inside a slice of pepper:

img_1059755_0_9eb3f0097a553f7b075fc305e5b846ab.jpg

The diet went to hell today....

Breakfast: 1 cupcake & coffee

Lunch: 1 Sonic Chicago-style hotdog (tomatoes, pickle, relish, peppers) & 1 diet Dr. Pepper

Dinner: Undecided

Herbal tea with honey
Chicken broth with matzoh balls

Thinking about having a few chocolate chip cookies that belong to Mr B, who is not here right now...I may have to invoke the "unattended cookie" rule. >:D

Thinking about having a few chocolate chip cookies that belong to Mr B, who is not here right now...I may have to invoke the "unattended cookie" rule. >:D

I hereby agree with the "unattended cookie" rule and have invoked it myself many a times. :LOL:

A slice of rye toast smeared with some Brie for breakfast, two cups of black coffee
A can of V-8 and a banana mid-morning at my desk in the office

Greek salad and chunk of fresh baguette and an unsweetened iced tea at Panera Bread for lunch

Half a personal size frozen organic pesto, broccoli and tomato pizza for dinner (pitched the other half, wouldn't appeal later), a handful of walnuts, a cup of low fat cottage cheese.

Possibly some plain yogurt and fresh blueberries later.

Scrambled eggs and toast for lunch.

Breaded pork chops, fried potatoes with green onions and celery, fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce. :)

Supper tonight made up for the icky tacos last night. :p

Breakfast was 1/2 cup oatmeal with some sliced almonds, a little Splenda & some 2% milk.

Lunch...didn't have time, skipped it. But..I did eat a couple of pecan cookies that were calling to me from my desk drawer.

Dinner...starving, so stopped by Ray's West & picked up a Ray's Special: double grilled hamburger with lettuce, tomatoes & grilled onions. Small fry, washed down by a DIET Cherry Dr. Pepper!

Let me ask the question a different way: what are spouse and I going to eat?

We're getting ready for three nights/four days of hiking Haleakala Crater. Our 12-person group has abruptly shrunk to nine and some of the meal assignments have changed. So instead of a pancakes & bacon breakfast (which we did last year), we've now been voluntold for dinner.

No refrigeration or electricity in the crater, so all cooking will start at room temperature on top of a wood stove. (We have wood & matches but I've been advised not to put much faith in the wood oven.) All three cabins are at ~7000 feet of altitude, which I dimly remember affects some recipes. Water comes from a catchment tank and has to be boiled for a few minutes before it can be used for cooking.

We're planning for food that can be packed over at least two days, and I ain't packin' ice. Our hosts (who have done this for most of the last 50 years) usually pack in steaks with (instant) mashed potatoes or rice and veggies. By the time we get to the cabin on the first evening, their steaks have thawed for cooking. After they've set that high standard, we're not going to try to compete with anything from that menu. We've asked them for suggestions (still awaiting a response) but it'd be nice to bring something new to the table, so to speak.

Hawaii shipping (and our imminent departure) means that ordering from the Mainland is out of the question this year. We do have a Military HQ store that may stock dehydrated (hurricane/earthquake) food in addition to military MREs, but I haven't researched their inventory yet. (We found the store last year in a futile island-wide search for powdered eggs.) That's our last-ditch option.

So far we've come up with spaghetti & bottled sauce with powdered parmesan cheese. That begs the question of French bread, butter, & garlic... which I think we can handle. We'd also be able to pack in a few heads of broccoli and probably keep those outdoors (in a cupboard) the first night to preserve them until the second night.

Another backup plan is vegetarian chili, although you know who's gonna be packing that load if I can't find a dehydrated version.

Any other ideas on packing side dishes, or should I head for the dehydrated aisle at the HQ store?

Breakfast: nothing
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner 1 (5pm): Turkey sandwich, big pastry
Dinner 2 (9pm): Half of big bag of dorito chips
Dinner 3 (1am): undecided

Ah...gotta love the meals of a college student!

So far we've come up with spaghetti & bottled sauce with powdered parmesan cheese.
Since glass bottles can be heavy, maybe you could find something plastic to carry the spaghetti sauce in. Don't forget the red pepper flakes. Ideally, I think the spaghetti sauce could be pre-cooked for a while, perhaps with extra onion, to get rid of the raw tomato taste (but that's just me). I add meat, too (chuck roast?). I especially like Safeway's Select Marinara sauce (which has a bit of heat already). A grater plus a hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano (from, e.g., Costco) would add little to the weight and would be more stylish than powdered parmesan.

I'd be concerned about getting the spaghetti cooked properly over a campfire at an altitude. I've never tried that.

It sounds like lots of fun for you.

We're only packing plastic-- broken glass would be a horrible mess even without the spaghetti sauce. Even the Chivas goes in a plastic squeeze bottle.

Upon further discussion with our group host we've decided on a cured/baked ham along with spaghetti & sauce. Veggie sauce for our group's vegetarian, ham for the omnivores. A plastic bag of frozen corn will round out the meal. By starting frozen (and spending the night in the outdoor chill locker) the corn should stay cold enough for dinner on day #2. Broccoli would also work except that nobody else in our group cares for it.

I think the spaghetti has to boil longer at altitude-- I'll have to look that up. I've been cooking it in a microwave for several years now and can't even remember how long it used to boil on the stove.

We're only packing plastic-- broken glass would be a horrible mess even without the spaghetti sauce. Even the Chivas goes in a plastic squeeze bottle.

Upon further discussion with our group host we've decided on a cured/baked ham along with spaghetti & sauce. Veggie sauce for our group's vegetarian, ham for the omnivores. A plastic bag of frozen corn will round out the meal. By starting frozen (and spending the night in the outdoor chill locker) the corn should stay cold enough for dinner on day #2. Broccoli would also work except that nobody else in our group cares for it.

I think the spaghetti has to boil longer at altitude-- I'll have to look that up. I've been cooking it in a microwave for several years now and can't even remember how long it used to boil on the stove.

At lower altitudes, 6-10 minutes, depending on how "al dente" you want it.

Breakfast: coffee with sugarfree fresh creamer; oatmeal and skim milk

Lunch: tomato basil chicken (blackened chicken with very hot and spicy Cajun/Italian tomato basil sauce, thick with fresh Creole tomatos, parmesan, and more, all served over angelhair pasta); diet Coke

Dinner: Chinese pepper steak, white rice, water

All this and Weight Watchers still approves... :D Portion size helps!

Today I ordered the same tomato basil chicken, and got a photo this time since I had my new iPhone with me. Thought some here might enjoy seeing the photo.

Attachments

• tomato basil chicken.jpg
    tomato basil chicken.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 125
Stop...doing...that.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If you hold down the "CTRL" key and scroll forward with your mouse, it will get big enough to fill your screen.... almost as though it was on the table right in front of you. >:D

Edited to add: $7.99, and with a lunch card every 5th one is free...

Last edited:
Breakfast: 2 1/2 scrambled eggs, 4 strips of bacon, grits w/butter, coffee. Yes, I said grits!

Lunch: nothing, really.

Dinner: Beef fajitas (beef, onions, green peppers), refried beans, mexican rice, chips & salsa. Iced tea.

Dessert: Large Sonic Blast (Snickers).

Back
Top Bottom