What do I call myself? Unemployed, Semi-Ret, Ret?

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If I was 60, I'd go with "Retired". If I was 55, maybe I could get away with Ret. or Semi-Ret. But I look younger than my age (so now this is a problem? ;)).

What do I call myself for social situations? Unemployed will suffice for a while, but I am a bit leery of using "Retired" at this time.

If an "old" person is retired, nobody bats an eye. They just hope the old folks don't end up eating dog food sometime. So "old people" get a pass.

I'm afraid that if I say that I am "Retired", people will think "That guy must be LOADED with money to do that at his age!"
I need to avoid getting an "aura" like that, at least at this time. I can't just say to h*ll with them at this point either.

Can we get some discussion going on this topic? I'm interested in how others handled this, or how they think they will when they get there.

Re: What do I call myself? Unemployed, Semi-Ret, R

You could always use the wiseguys mobster thing.

(in best NYC with hint of Sicilian upbringing accent)

"Me? I do this and that... I dabble here and there..."

Just tell them "I sell life insurance". This usually ends the questions pretty abruptly but sometimes you can get yourself caught because some people are actually LOOKING for insurance

But if you really want to make all those pesky, nosey working people go away "I sell AMWAY" should do the trick. (And possibly ruin relationships you've had for years)

Hey I thought nobody admits selling Amway up front. The standard technique is to call someone you have barely spoken with in years, address them as "my good friend" and ask if they'd be interested in getting together for dinner sometime to catch up on things.

Nahh really man, we're going to make buckets of money... do the math!

Waiter? I'll take the check please. :p

When I see "Occupation" on a form I write "Unoccupied". When I see Employment, I write "No, thanks". When I see Employer, I write "The One". When people ask me what I do, I say "pretty much whatever I want". If they press me for my job description, I say "Self-Fulfilling Prophet".

1HappyFool

If they press me for my job description, I say "Self-Fulfilling Prophet".

Is this copyrighted? If not I'm using it from now on. This one is brilliant

I saw this several years ago on the Motley Fool -

Self-unemployed.

I've always liked that one. Though the prophet one is good.

arrete

Although I've already rounded the corner of the big 50 mark, I look much younger. Most think I'm late 30's. When the topic of employment comes up and I tell people I'm retired, most just stare in disbelief. As they ask how old I am and I tell them, they are quite amazed that I look so much younger then they estimated.

At this point, it appears they are more astounded with my actual age then my retirement status. But then they want to know how I spend my time, if I like being retired, and they typically say how they wish they could afford to retire too. Eventually we get on to talking about other things.

Of course if the topic comes up when I'm negotiating a purchase, I'm UNEMPLOYED. Now I want them to feel sorry for me!

I guess you just have to do with what you feel comfortable.

Red

When I was sampling early retirement (meaning when I intentionally took a few months off work when I really shouldn't have) I avoided the word "unemployed" because I thought it implied I was drawing unemployment checks, and I wasn't. I usually said "I'm not working" or that I was taking a few months off.

A friend of mine doesn't work a normal job but manages 5 rental properties (hers and her family's) alternately tells people she's semi retired or a property manager. One time when asked what properties she managed she smiled and said "mine".

If they press me for my job description, I say "Self-Fulfilling Prophet".

Is this copyrighted? If not I'm using it from now on. This one is brilliant

Thanks. To the best of my knowledge, I originated it and I hereby place it into the public domain. It's in my profile at TMF, so they may complain if you try to make money from it.

1HF

A friend of mine doesn't work a normal job but manages 5 rental properties (hers and her family's) alternately tells people she's semi retired or a property manager. One time when asked what properties she managed she smiled and said "mine".

That reminds me. I once told someone I was an Investment Manager but that my contract has an exclusivity clause that prevents me from discussing investing with anybody unless it was in my client's best interest. :D

1HF

At a minimum we all work for ourselves, even if it's just making breakfast or mowing the lawn. In that case I'm just UNDER-EMPLOYED. Being rather young to be "Retired", I choose this over any of the other monikers.

JS

Another old standby is to say that you are a "consultant." If people ask what you consult on, you can reply "Anything that someone is willing to pay for."

I worked very hard at being able to retire and so it was
always with some pride that I answered the queries about what I did. I always said that I was
"semiretired" and later "retired", or if in a whimsical mood I would say "I fish". Of course after 10 years,
people no longer find my nonparticipation in the world of work quite so novel.

How about this one....

"I'm a recovering workaholic".

How about "employee emeritus"?

Dory36

I'm under 50, so I tell people I took the downsizing, early retirement offer from Avaya and have not decided on what to do next, so I'm retired for now. It avoids the rich assumption by implying temporarily retired...and also avoids the negative conotations of unemployed. I do mention managing an apartment building part time if conversations go that long. I actually hope that finances work such that I can stay retired!

Wayne

Take a pebble from Fred Flintstone's life and say that you are a "Pooh-Bah" and are studying to become a "Grand Poo-Bah". :D

Back
Top Bottom